Quantcast

Save Conan!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
O'Brien that is. I think its pretty bogus that NBC is trying to push the Tonight show to 12:05, just to give Leno his old time slot back. At that point, it is now the "Yesterday" show.

That being said, I would have no problem with Conan leaving NBC. I'd even watch him on Fox.

Also:

[QUOTE="Conan O'Brien]People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan[/QUOTE]

Also, if you've never seen the episode of "Inside the Actors Studio" with Conan on it, one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Save himself.

If he was that popular, think they would push him back for Leno?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dangit. Thought for sure a Conan the King movie was in the works! Waste of my time. :shakefist:
FWIW there is a new Conan movie in the works.

Save himself.

If he was that popular, think they would push him back for Leno?
Problem is, Leno appeals to the lowest common denominator of the American public. Conan is the thinking mans comedian. We both know which is the larger audience.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Problem is, Leno appeals to the lowest common denominator of the American public. Conan is the thinking mans comedian. We both know which is the larger audience.
The bit he did about options was hilarious. The wacky morning DJ gig of Big Red and the Bugger sounds like the best option.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is freaking late night television. Your logic, Charlie Rose and Ted Koppel should be super stars.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, I do have to blame the NBC programming heads.

They wanted their cake and eat it too: Keep Jay, save some bucks on 10pm programming, and promote Conan.

I remember when the Cosby Show ruled the land (and every other show was a distant second), and ABC put on a news show that cost half as much as regular programming. It did make a small profit.

I figured Leno at 10pm would be a big failure, but I thought it might be profitable.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I remember when the Cosby Show ruled the land (and every other show was a distant second)
Wait....I spy an connection!! "The Simpsons" was the first show to topple the "Cosby Show." That aired on FOX. Conan O'Brian was a writer for "The Simpsons" --on FOX. Therefore....Conan must move to FOX. :thumb:

This TV programming stuff is a cinch. Even a moron like me could be a hero in that business.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wait....I spy an connection!! "The Simpsons" was the first show to topple the "Cosby Show." That aired on FOX. Conan O'Brian was a writer for "The Simpsons" --on FOX. Therefore....Conan must move to FOX. :thumb:

This TV programming stuff is a cinch. Even a moron like me could be a hero in that business.
Yea, but do you know what his first Simpsons episode was? (hint: it was also the one that got him a gig writing for them regularly) NO GOOGLE!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

In that case, we're moving your GMT thread back a half hour! :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Also, if you've never seen the episode of "Inside the Actors Studio" with Conan on it, one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
I never thought he was very funny until I saw him on "Inside the Actors Studio". Then I realized that this guy is truly hilarious.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I never thought he was very funny until I saw him on "Inside the Actors Studio". Then I realized that this guy is truly hilarious.
It helps that James Lipton and C o'B are even funnier when you put them together. I'd love to seem them write/host a variety show together.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That sucks. But that said, I've not really been watching all that much late night TV since Conan took over the Tonight Show. What I had seen of it was okay, but he seemed to have lost the "zany" factor he had on Late Night.

Jay Leno licks donkey azz. Predictable humour is so lame. Ya Rly.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I don't watch either show, but when I've been up late, Conan has been pretty funny. Jay... not so much.
Conan is just weird. Cracks me up!
Not Tom Greene weird, but weird nonetheless.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
"As funny as dick rash..."

That made my whole day IH8rice

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I feel soooooooo bad for Conan...

Conan O'Brien is close to signing a nearly $40 million deal to walk away from his dream job hosting NBC's "The Tonight Show," bringing down the curtain on one of the entertainment industry's biggest debacles in years.