Quantcast

Save Fell Mountain From New Logging Plan

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you ever rode Merli-Sarnoski (aka Fell Mountain) you know how great it is. Just to give you any idea, the place has almost 15 miles of some of the best flowing technical singletrack I've ever ridden and last year I visited over a half dozen times despite the 160 mi. roundtrip drive for each visit. The problem is that they are "selective harvesting" on about a 1/3 of the trails. We don't mind off-trail harvesting like they originally stated, but damaging some of the best singletrack anywhere is not worth any amount of profit they could gain from it. Please take a couple minutes to sign this petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/100041/petition.html

Thanks!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Galbraith in Bellingham is a popular place to ride, people come from seattle to ride it, and some from even farther to ride. It is a big network of trails on the land of a working forest. When trails get logged and basically destroyed, well, the organization who maintains the trails (which I am becoming highly active in) just goes in and rebuilds the trails. Yes, we dont like it of course, but the company (Trillium) owns the land, and we are just allowed to ride there. In other words, let it be logged, dont create a negative relationship between bikers and the company. When the trail is logged, just get a big group together with permission from the company and go rebuild the trail. Change can be good sometimes. We now have some great clearcut trails.

Thats all I have to say.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its a public park - the logging company does not own the land. The original plan was only to log off the trails as it should be.

In Shindagin Hollow, NY near Ithaca, NY state DEC worked with trail users to leave a buffer zone around the trails. Everyone, including the lumber company, was happy. There is no reason the lumber company in PA can't do same thing - its PUBLIC land - they have no right to ruin the trails...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Please sign this - it only takes a few moments. All they require is your name and email address.

Thanks!