Quantcast

Save Starbucks!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN1932070520080319?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&rpc=23&sp=true

To stimulate growth, Starbucks will focus on coffee, striving to make both its espresso and drip coffee the best available. Yes, the company will make an entrance into the health and wellness arena and into energy beverages -- but those are for another....

Starbucks shares closed at $17.50, down 74 cents or 4 percent on the Nasdaq.

Post your ideas for Stbux here:

https://www.starbucks.com/mystarbucksidea/browse.aspx

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Yes here is my idea for you to make more money.

Why don't I just write a few programs and give them to microsoft.

:disgust1:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Go the Hooters route...replace all the snotty "barisstas" (WTH does that mean any way?) with hot girls in short shorts and tight shirts.
That would take your mind off paying $11 for a Grande cup of Crappyhalffoamanywaygottawaitanhourforitbuttheyputyournameonthecupsoitscooldrink that some what resembles coffee.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Yea, but the distribution system for a Starbucks/Hooters hybrid is much larger then cowgirl coffee.

I for one hate Star****s. I went into one for the first time in a couple years a few weeks back, couldn't hold my self together long enough to get a cup of coffee from the barrista. This kid was so emo, so snot nosed, I wanted to rip him over the counter and feed him every square inch of the counter tops. I'm real happy you aren't happy working for crap wages for a whoremongering corporation that would reduce you into your essential elements and sell you as part of a natural coffee product if it would raise their share price a fraction of a cent, but don't take your crap out on me kiddo.

After about two minutes of his voice I had to leave to avoid catching another assault and battery charge.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would rather support the mom and pop shops who have been around since coffee was invented than give my hard earned $10 to some corporate princess sitting at his onyx desk drinking something other than Starbucks
I would rather pay $1.50 for a cup of coffee.

<edit> My morning coffee comes from Plaid Pantry and the coffee hut dude out front gives me the stink eye every morning while I wait for the bus.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I like coffee and I'm not real picky:

Starbucks
Dunkin Donuts
Tim Hortons
any bagel shop
7 Eleven and the like
the fufu mom and pop place
gas stations/mini marts
gorcery stores

If they're brewing, I'm buying.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
heres an idea if im standing in one starbucks, i shouldn't be able to see another starbucks.
on robson st in vancouver there's 2 starbucks across the street from each other. not sure how that happened. both seem to be doing thriving business, alas. they're a blight on the city & do a disservice to the noble coffee bean.

on a bright note, one was taken out a few weeks ago in a suspicious explosion. so many more to go...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Starbucks coffee is ok, but their to go cups are horrible. Every time I get one they leak all over the place and the lids REFUSE to stay on. It's the absolute worst cup/lid combo I've ever used.

So I don't buy Starbucks.

Dunken Donuts on the other hand makes great coffee. I don't get how someone could NOT like it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still don't understand why people hate on Starbucks so much...D
The way they moved in and took over around here sucked. I liked Coffee People and they got shut down, then bought out.

The fact there were 6 in a 4 block radius from my downtown office was a bit much, too. If they would have opened in areas that NEEDED a coffee shop, I could understand. But to open up next door or across the street from an existing shop is just bad business mojo to me.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
dunkin' donuts is doubly egregious in this aspect.
i think its because they followed in starbucks footsteps. They (SB)originally did the ones across the street from each other in houston as a study of convenience. Apparently some people are not willing to cross streets anymore.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think its because they followed in starbucks footsteps. They (SB)originally did the ones across the street from each other in houston as a study of convenience. Apparently some people are not willing to cross streets anymore.
i think DD's tend to be in more suburban/car-dominated areas, whereas charbucks are more urban/pedestrian.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The way they moved in and took over around here sucked. I liked Coffee People and they got shut down, then bought out.

The fact there were 6 in a 4 block radius from my downtown office was a bit much, too. If they would have opened in areas that NEEDED a coffee shop, I could understand. But to open up next door or across the street from an existing shop is just bad business mojo to me.

They drive out local coffee shops and serve undrinkable swill. It's a goddam travesty. If they served decent coffee it would be tolerable.
ok I understand what both of you are saying but still...they wouldn't be in business if people didn't frequent them...so I don't really buy them shutting down all the "mom and pop" stores....they must be doing something right because whenever I see one it's always full of customers...D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
$10/share was my buy in but now... I think Ill wait till $2-$3...

Pick up a thousand shares at ze bottom.. could be the next Apple...
You think a company that makes slightly better coffee like Dunkin Donuts will invest in them to bring them out of the brink and they'll start to make good coffee just like Apple was saved by Microsoft:brows:

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/MS+to+invest+150+million+in+Apple/2100-1001_3-202143.html

Some people say MS has made 18 billion with that investment in Apple...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus