Quantcast

Save Starbucks!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I was amused this morning during my morning stbx run to find out that none of the people working there knows anything about the company's stock nor any of the recent news...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was amused this morning during my morning stbx run to find out that none of the people working there knows anything about the company's stock nor any of the recent news...
My guess is I could ask everyone I work with what our company stock is and I bet I get the same response.

Some people didn't know we got purchased until they changed the sign on the door.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If you want a decent coffee I suggest you come to Wellington. For whatever reason coffee is taken extremely seriously here and crappy chains just don't get a look in. I think there is one starf**ks here next to the crappiest mall cinema and only c*nts and tourists go in there.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I fully agree Changleen. Wellingtonians take their coffee seriously and I have not had a better cup of coffee anywhere else in the world.

I could not finish the first (and last) Starbucks coffee I ever bought.
Never again.
Let them fail.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ok I understand what both of you are saying but still...they wouldn't be in business if people didn't frequent them...so I don't really buy them shutting down all the "mom and pop" stores....they must be doing something right because whenever I see one it's always full of customers...D
By that logic McDonalds makes really good food. You know better than that. People frequent places like McD's and starsucks because they advertise alot, not because they offer a quality product.

Corporate business practices aside, they make really crappy coffee. Someone mentioned it already... they burn their coffee.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Because their coffee tastes like burned grounds that were previously stepped on then swept up by the 2am custodial staff.
ok I can see that as being a reason to dislike them but folks claiming that they close down mom and pop stores...I'm not buying that. The people that stop going to the mom and pop stores are the ones whom are closing it down...D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ok I can see that as being a reason to dislike them but folks claiming that they close down mom and pop stores...I'm not buying that. The people that stop going to the mom and pop stores are the ones whom are closing it down...D
There is a WalMArt effect, though. People go for the buzz, or for an initial sale.

A good friend of mine had his coffee shop double when a Starbucks opened up across the street. He had better baked goods, better coffee, and free WiFi. People came to Starbucks and found out his shop was there. He even quit advertising because he no longer needed to.

But that is a rare case.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Mmmmm Starbucks. NoFat-Quad-Venti-WhiteChocolateMocha-NoWhip@120Degrees. My favorite.

I do hate them for being so addictive though.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Because their coffee tastes like burned grounds that were previously stepped on then swept up by the 2am custodial staff.
AND they charge you a bazillion dollars for it, and try to make you think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not to mention the atmosphere there annoys the piss out of me...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
AND they charge you a bazillion dollars for it, and try to make you think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not to mention the atmosphere there annoys the piss out of me...
I like the Tip jar the best. As if paying $3+ for a cup of coffee isn't enough, I'm supposed to tip as well? I don't tip the guy at 7-11 for the coffee there either.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i put pennies in tipjars of any chain establishment.

mom & pops get proper tips

theres a starbucks directly across the street from my school... while i DO get a Java Chip there when i can(gift cards are thrown at me from every direction... no this is not why i cant afford anything for my bike!:biggrin:), i would say in no way that Starbucks is good, needs more ideas, or needs more advertising and locations...
this Starbucks is located in the lower level(lower part of the hill) of a relatively small shopping center with a ginormous parking lot, and literally 100 yards away fom it is ANOTHER starbucks... its inside an Albertsons, but still, ANOTHER one!?!?!?! wow...

when the price of milk increased, i saw their prices jump .15 in literally three days... when something to last me the walk home is $4.15 a pop, that other .15 is nuts!... while trying to make a gift card last...

personally, i do like hanging around Starbucks because i am one with too much time on my hands and a very observant nature... i find it fun to sit around and watch how people act and try and figure out who they are... neeerrrrd.... Starbucks is the perfect place:monkeydance:
and all the chocolate and coffee in the drink spurs me to think for whatever reason...

blah blah blah...
pretty funny though... the topic of this thread

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
dunkin' donuts is doubly egregious in this aspect.
yes they are, not as bad as that Starbucks in vancouver but bad enough. in the town i used to live in there were 7!! granted 3 of them were on a major highway but the town wasn't really all that big. then Krispy Kreme moved into new england and they built one next to one of the DD's on the highway but they are all closed now. but i don't drink coffee anyway so i really could care less.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Its the Wal Mart marketing model. Make your stores impossible to avoid, squeeze out and destry Mom and Pop stores, and soon everyone will buy your overpriced garbage. I predict $tarbuck$ in Wally World soon...you heard it here first!