Quantcast

Saving money by commuting

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So far this month I've saved $97.50 by commuting to work. I would like to send a big F U to the oil company's.

Not to mention I'm 13 lbs lighter.
:thumb:

I should hit 3000 miles on my single speed when I ride in tomorrow,possibly even today if I take the hilly route home. Between peddling in and the Beemer @ 65 MPG I'm literally spending less than $20 a month on gas.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I go through about a tank a month. There's not much need to drive in college though.. I'm sure the real world requires much more driving. I do ride my bike most places in town though. I rode my DH bike to class today :D

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
So far this month I've saved $97.50 by commuting to work. I would like to send a big F U to the oil company's.

Not to mention I'm 13 lbs lighter.
:thumb:

I should hit 3000 miles on my single speed when I ride in tomorrow,possibly even today if I take the hilly route home. Between peddling in and the Beemer @ 65 MPG I'm literally spending less than $20 a month on gas.
I go through about a tank a month. There's not much need to drive in college though.. I'm sure the real world requires much more driving. I do ride my bike most places in town though. I rode my DH bike to class today :D

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Plus that would include riding my bike on the expressway in rush hour traffic since I live on the other side of the city from where I work. I'd give it a few days before I'd be a bloodstain on the pavement. I do much better dodging trees then I do dodging cars.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Word.. Most people that spew excuses just aren't trying hard enough to make it work.
Too much of a hassle for me to bike commute (70 miles round trip). Ya gotta schlep extra food, and a change of clothes, and shower stuff, then I'd need to go across the street to the YMCA to shower. Meh...too much work. The drive time and fuel expense don't bother me enough to make a change.

Good job, Konabumm!!

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Too much of a hassle for me to bike commute (70 miles round trip). Ya gotta schlep extra food, and a change of clothes, and shower stuff, then I'd need to go across the street to the YMCA to shower. Meh...too much work. The drive time and fuel expense don't bother me enough to make a change. Good job, Konabumm!!
This exactly. 68 miles one way and having to wear suits and stuff makes it a little difficult to carry a change of clothes.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I saving $80/mo for not buying a parking permit and about $70/mo on gas.

We don't have showers in the building so I just sweat into a tube and drink it at the end of the ride.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I was working in Lake O, I had the best commute. 6.6 miles, 5 of it on Fanno Creek Trail. I was only on the road to cross the overpass and a few short sprints through town.

This is my second day on the bus/train since the wet season is here. About an hour ride each way with a 20 minute walk. If I ride to the train, it's 3 miles each way and a 15 minute train ride in. Not bad, but it costs me $4.80 round trip and the moto only costs about $2 in gas (and takes 15 minutes with no traffic).

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Plus that would include riding my bike on the expressway in rush hour traffic since I live on the other side of the city from where I work. I'd give it a few days before I'd be a bloodstain on the pavement. I do much better dodging trees then I do dodging cars.
Well, routing certainly is a concern. My commute is a minimum 9 miles one way but is fairly low traffic. (I've had a few "incidents", but as often as I ride I suppose the occasional asshat is inevitable.) The other guy who pedals in lives probably less than 2 miles from the hangar and there is no f-ing way I would ride his commute because of the traffic and complete lack of a shoulder on the road. Though my co-worker has no choice with his "blemished" driving record. He's lost a lot of weight though.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My office is 9 miles by bike trail from my office. I just need to figure out a gym/shower close to the office so that I can ride. Thankfully this job doesn't need a full suit, just slacks and a button down.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My office is 9 miles by bike trail from my office. I just need to figure out a gym/shower close to the office so that I can ride. Thankfully this job doesn't need a full suit, just slacks and a button down.
I'm lucky, I had showers in Lake O, and have showers here, too. Plus a very nice indoor bike parking.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
This seems like a good place for a mini rant I've had brewing for a while...

There's a group of wildlife rehab majors (the super liberal, vegan, "don't step on that bug", long hair, shower once a month, hippie type) that always look at us like we just killed a baby when we come back muddy from riding, and always talk about how bad mountain biking is for the environment. I know they're entitled to their opinion, but then the go and drive the HALF MILE between campus and their wildlife rehab center multiple times a day. There's even a trail that makes it like a 1/4 mile walk or ride and their lazy asses still insist on driving. :think:

/rant. Thoughts?

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma

There's a group of wildlife rehab majors (the super liberal, vegan, "don't step on that bug", long hair, shower once a month, hippie type) that always look at us like we just killed a baby when we come back muddy from riding, and always talk about how bad mountain biking is for the environment. I know they're entitled to their opinion, but then the go and drive the HALF MILE between campus and their wildlife rehab center multiple times a day. There's even a trail that makes it like a 1/4 mile walk or ride and their lazy asses still insist on driving. :think:

/rant. Thoughts?
stupid hippys :mad:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

/rant. Thoughts?
I was riding my bike around SF doing errands (dumping sweat) and was solicited by a girl getting signatures for Greenpeace. She was pushing something about saving the environment by increasing taxes on fuel and a bunch of other stuff.

I was feeling agitated and in an effort to be left alone I asked her how she got to the City that day (as most are from Berkeley). She responded "I drove?". I asked her again, "So you drove? You didn't take BART? (Public transit)". She was really confused on that one and I left, on my bike.

I have no issues with other who support the environment. People do need to realize that while we might have small differences in how we respect and conserve, there are far greater evils.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was riding my bike around SF doing errands (dumping sweat) and was solicited by a girl getting signatures for Greenpeace. She was pushing something about saving the environment by increasing taxes on fuel and a bunch of other stuff.

I was feeling agitated and in an effort to be left alone I asked her how she got to the City that day (as most are from Berkeley). She responded "I drove?". I asked her again, "So you drove? You didn't take BART? (Public transit)". She was really confused on that one and I left, on my bike.

I have no issues with other who support the environment. People do need to realize that while we might have small differences in how we respect and conserve, there are far greater evils.
The last time I pulled that one, the entire group said they took public transportation.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Man, you guys are making me feel really guilty. I live 2.2 miles from work, but somehow only manage to bike commute maybe one day a week on average. I find that if I want to do stuff after work, or bring large things to/from work then bike commuting is not as practical. But I certainly could ride in more than I currently do.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My commute is now 45 miles, so I often mix it up. Sometimes I drive or take the train part way then ride, and in the evening, I take the train back to either my car or home.

I've ridden the whole distance too, but it requires some planning to block out 3 hours.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Man, you guys are making me feel really guilty. I live 2.2 miles from work, but somehow only manage to bike commute maybe one day a week on average. I find that if I want to do stuff after work, or bring large things to/from work then bike commuting is not as practical. But I certainly could ride in more than I currently do.
2.2 miles and you carry stuff? You really have it hard.

Mostly, I feel like a schmuck when I drive. Honestly, I bike commute twice a week, motorcycle the other 3 days. Never drive to work.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

/rant. Thoughts?

Every one of them...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I did forget to note that I saw her and a few others at a car earlier, but still.
My favorite was going to a show in New Orleans, and every post and tree had bikes locked to them.

As I was unlocking my bike from a tree, a couple of snotty girls commented "These bicyclists, they're killing the trees."

I told them as they walked by, "Come back, this tree needs a hug." And as I rode past them and said, "By the way, did you drive here?"

Last edited: