Quantcast

Say fella... what's that bulge in your Levis? A joystick?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:think:

Play it again, pants: Levi's introduces iPod-compatible jeans
Jan 11 11:57 AM

Jeans giant Levi's is hoping to woo fashionistas and music aficionados alike with its new iPod-compatible RedWire DLX jeans, due out this fall.

With a joystick remote control built into the watch pocket, the new jeans will allow wearers to play, pause, track forward or back and adjust the volume on their iPods without having to take them out of their pockets.

A separate pocket will house and conceal the bulge of the iPod, while a built-in retractable headphone unit is designed to prevent tangled wires.

A red conductive ribbon will keep wearers connected while allowing them to remove the iPod from their pockets to view the screen, the company said.

"The Levi's RedWire DLX jean is the latest extension of the Levi's brand leadership position, by merging fashion and technology that provides consumers with the most innovative way to enhance their portable digital music lifestyle," Robert Hanson, Levi's US brand president, said in a statement.

"In designing the jeans, we considered both function and fashion -- the result is a uniquely functional -- yet stylish -- great-fitting jean."

The high-tech togs will roll out worldwide in the fall, the company said.

Levi's jeans are sold in more than 100 countries.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
This whole iPod thing is a little out of control!

I was in Worst Buy today, and in every section there was some iPod compatible thing on a featured display. Its crazy! Can't you just plug in the damn headphones and be done with it?!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Even though this particular application of the technology is kinda crap IMO, (..I have latent Apple hate, so there..) - we as consumers should support this stuff, because in theroy it's cool and they just need a little time to sort it out.

How about a USB ubiquity + function, very short range wireless protocol that can employed in the garment and every device, allowing the smart garment to act as a hub and viewer/player/processor for the content? Throw your mobile, mp3 player and what have you into your jeans pocket, they play auto discovery of each other for a second, and your watch or any one of the devices allows you to browse all these devices and acts as a media player. Your bluetooth headphones provide sound.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Changleen said:
How about a USB ubiquity + function, very short range wireless protocol that can employed in the garment and every device, allowing the smart garment to act as a hub and viewer/player/processor for the content? Throw your mobile, mp3 player and what have you into your jeans pocket, they play auto discovery of each other for a second, and your watch or any one of the devices allows you to browse all these devices and acts as a media player. Your bluetooth headphones provide sound.
Why?

Why not just have devices talk to each other? You don't need a hub. There's no need to integrate things into pants, shirts, or ass-less leather chaps.

I think ideas like these pants are gimmicky and generally useless. Just buy a small joystick that plugs into the iPod, with a clip on the back to attach it to your pocket, belt, or shirt. Gee, the same functionality but it's actually more versitile since you can place the joystick wherever it's convenient, and you don't have to buy & wear the same pair of $200 jeans every day. If you want retractable headphones, buy 'em. Why integrate these things into clothes?

These jeans are designed for the meterosexual market who bought an iPod because it comes in the same color pink as their button-up, popped-collar shirt. That's my take, anyway :D

I think wireless is cool, though. Wireless headphones + small wireless remote (I like my watches to be simple, but whatever floats your boat) would be great.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Skookum said:
somebody should put the title of this thread in their sig.
C'mon somebody should be a hero, people need to be notified of N8's queer shenanigans on this board. Think of it as a public service.