Quantcast

Say it ain't so! No carbon Demo frame only option for 2013!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Interesting parts spec on the Carbon Demo. Seems to me that they recognise that the price of the frame is too high to do an all out spec build, so they went with the level I build to sell more. Not a bad idea. Entry level specs which can be upgraded later, lowering the price to get on to one.

What's confusing is the speak of a 135 and 150 rear end, but all the spec sheets list 150 (which I'd prefer).

If the price of the carbon frame competes with the V10c frameset, they are going to sell a lot of them. But we know it's going to be an expensive frame only option (with M11 instead of M10 is my bet).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Interesting parts spec on the Carbon Demo. Seems to me that they recognise that the price of the frame is too high to do an all out spec build, so they went with the level I build to sell more. Not a bad idea. Entry level specs which can be upgraded later, lowering the price to get on to one.

What's confusing is the speak of a 135 and 150 rear end, but all the spec sheets list 150 (which I'd prefer).

If the price of the carbon frame competes with the V10c frameset, they are going to sell a lot of them. But we know it's going to be an expensive frame only option (with M11 instead of M10 is my bet).
or... they realize people have such a carboner for the wünder-material that they'll buy it no matter what the spec.... just so they can haz the latest and greatest.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, I was amazed that an Ibis carbon frame is half the price of a Specialized carbon frame. I think they're charging what the market will bear (good for them), but I don't think it reflects the value of the frame...

that said, those bikes are beautiful, and I'm sure they'll ride awesome regardless of what the punters have paid.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The Demo's ride awesome as is. The carbon is going to be even better, no doubt.
edit: I just hope their focus wasn't just knocking off a pound, but also increasing strength. Maybe Fraser can comment if he's got some indepth knowledge thanks to hanging out with the Monster/specialized crew...

I do think the lower end parts spec is to avoid the 9.9 pricing syndrome. People who want an all out build can just buy the frame. Personaly, this is on my short list along with a mod'd fury, V10c, or another custom Nicolai.

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

only the Team Replica complete bike has the 135 rear end, all others come with 150

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
That's it. I wonder why it's only on the Team bike. Perhaps it's due to that special 9t cog cassette thingamajig. ??

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

The Sworks Demo is around $10 000, and includes a full team replica spec. Renthal, XO, Boxxer WC Black gold etc. It's limited edition and special order. It comes with a 7 speed, 135 rear, the same as the team frames.

So the 150/135 thing... The reduced gearing runs on a standard 9 or 10 speed cassette carrier width. It is a special carrier however to fit a 9t cog, you are correct. However, not needed the entire width allows them to drop the rear end down to 135 gaining better clearance in the rear end. That's basically the long and short of it. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few details, but that's about it.

The regular demo carbon has a normal 150 spacing and 10 spd drive train, as that is what most consumers will want/be used to.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ LOL. No kidding. What 'hip' frame builder should we be buying from? Not what actualy haul ass, but will make my deep V-Neck shirt and tight shorts look better. Can anyone sell frames that color match my teal raybans? Anyone?

Fraser, thanks! That's the info I was looking for. didn't see the 'Team replica' on that site so got confused. 10k, while a lot, isn't crazy for a full out build. But it's very nice to see they are doing a cheaper build for mere mortals looking to slowly build up something. Any knowledge on price of the lower end one? Or just the carbon frameset?

Cheers

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think we should all be forced to ride a Karpiel with Monster T and Gazzalodis on Sun Doublewides for a week before contemplating our next DH bike purchase. I think it would help meter some of the excess spending on these things and curb the enthusiasm. :D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I think we should all be forced to ride a Karpiel with Monster T and Gazzalodis on Sun Doublewides for a week before contemplating our next DH bike purchase. I think it would help meter some of the excess spending on these things and curb the enthusiasm. :D
Forced?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
As long as they are kawi green doublewides, and 3" gazzies.

Actualy, the funny part is in '02 I rocked a monster, gazzis' and doublewides..... awww ****.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have no no intention of buying one of these in any form unless I win the lottery, but i'm going to feign outrage! I demand answers!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
^ LOL. No kidding. What 'hip' frame builder should we be buying from? Not what actualy haul ass, but will make my deep V-Neck shirt and tight shorts look better. Can anyone sell frames that color match my teal raybans? Anyone?

Fraser, thanks! That's the info I was looking for. didn't see the 'Team replica' on that site so got confused. 10k, while a lot, isn't crazy for a full out build. But it's very nice to see they are doing a cheaper build for mere mortals looking to slowly build up something. Any knowledge on price of the lower end one? Or just the carbon frameset?

Cheers
I'm not sure a carbon frameset will be available this year. For some reason I recall them saying not gonna happen. As for the lower end one. I BELIEVE it's $5400 or $6400. I can't recall which one though. The press launch was awhile ago.

Here's a link to the replica. http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/06/02/specialized-demo8-carbon-dh-mountain-bike-unveiled-full-specs-geometry-more/

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The Demo's ride awesome as is. The carbon is going to be even better, no doubt.
edit: I just hope their focus wasn't just knocking off a pound, but also increasing strength.
I talked to one of their test engineers, he said it's considerably stronger, don't worry.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I'm not sure a carbon frameset will be available this year. For some reason I recall them saying not gonna happen. As for the lower end one. I BELIEVE it's $5400 or $6400. I can't recall which one though. The press launch was awhile ago.

Here's a link to the replica. http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/06/02/specialized-demo8-carbon-dh-mountain-bike-unveiled-full-specs-geometry-more/
If it's 5400, that's a pretty banging deal for a complete carbon DH bike. Sure some parts are suspect, but they are also easily upgraded as you break em.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sure but are there really stiffness issues with the current Demo. I can see more relevance on light weight bikes. Just saying but I do not want to ruin any of the carbon hype and leave this thread alone :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering