Quantcast

SB action alert: Booby traps

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Some malicious MoFo is back at action booby trapping trails.
Cold Springs trail, lower main section (not WC) several hundred pound boulders rolled into corners and the like. Keep and eye out, take photos, and fix the section. I know you hate to interrerupt your run, but it could save the next guy's life. And if you catch someone in the act, DO NOT TAKE ACTIONS IN YOUR OWN HANDS! Call the cops, give a full description of the perp and make the law deal with them. It is attempted manslaughter, and if someone is killled, it is manslaughter. We need to make examples of these people.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Last time we rode Cold Springs there were a set of Asian hikers who we suspected were doing this. They made small talk with us and such but you got the feeling they were just trying to hide what they were doing. A few feet down the trail we could see where rocks were placed and such. This was right before you hit the section to go to the fire-road (so middle'ish of the trail).

I know it's someone who goes up there earley though. If we make it up there by 7 to ride there's already cars at the top, if you ride later in the day there's not nearly as many so someone's been poaching the trail waiting until they know before the bikes hit them.

I'd love to catch one though, I carry a camera with me every ride. I'd just take some pics and move on, atleast that way there's a way to identify the jerk offs

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I cleaned up TWO rows of 3 Large Rocks (watermelon size) across the trail in lower CS around blind turns, yesterday 6/27 around 130pm.

Luckily I was riding easy with a friend who had a flat. I cleared the rock rows.

I will keep an eye out for activity on this trail.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Edit: This lower section was the dusty/stumpy section (not along creekside). is this what you refer to as the WC section?
Yes, that gets referred to as WC. Funny, since its way easier than the rocky trail paralleling the creek.

A notice to EVERYONE:
Keep you opinion clean and productive on this subject because others are looking here for ammo against us. Be careful out there.

stinky, you mind editing your post please?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i told noah about this..i dont really ride much anymore but i had a friend in town and we went for a run down knapps (a few months ago)...i rolled over that little bump next to the gate on the way in..i launched over it an couldnt really see the landing until i was in the air..as soon as i could see the backside i saw someone drove in a piece of rebar into the ground with it bent up at the perfect angle to implale someones neck or chest...well i relized i was gonna land right in front of it so i bailed and i luckily missed it with my body..well my brand new fox 40 didnt (mabye 2 rides on it at that point)..it took a nice gauge out of the stantions (luckily above the crown) but i wasnt very happy..i could have easily been impaled , it probally would have killed me..needless to say this has got to stop

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i told noah about this..i dont really ride much anymore but i had a friend in town and we went for a run down knapps (a few months ago)...i rolled over that little bump next to the gate on the way in..i launched over it an couldnt really see the landing until i was in the air..as soon as i could see the backside i saw someone drove in a piece of rebar into the ground with it bent up at the perfect angle to implale someones neck or chest...well i relized i was gonna land right in front of it so i bailed and i luckily missed it with my body..well my brand new fox 40 didnt (mabye 2 rides on it at that point)..it took a nice gauge out of the stantions (luckily above the crown) but i wasnt very happy..i could have easily been impaled , it probally would have killed me..needless to say this has got to stop
I've been trying to understand people's motivation for stuff like this. Obviously they don't want us to ride the trails for a few reasons, but attempting to seriously injure us and murder us? I just don't see what kind of person thinks that this is a "good" idea. Or are they just thinking "Hey this will scare them and no one will get hurt but they'll get the message". Anyone?

sweetimzack

Monkey
May 28, 2006
yeah good point we do have to watch what we say, I don't hate hikers thoe but when they trap a trail that is biking and hiking that is the one thing that makes me lit about them....same with the people that walk there dogs on the trails that crap all over the place that gets pretty annoying not noticing theres a chunk of dog crap in front of your tire so you run it over and it clogs up your tire then when u get down u look and your bike smells like crap from it, i don't know if this has happened to anyone else but im sure it has

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
A notice to EVERYONE:
Keep you opinion clean and productive on this subject because others are looking here for ammo against us. Be careful out there.
Everyone, LISTEN to this. I wrote a research paper on the trail conflict in SB and other throughout the nation, and spent a bit of time on some of the more militant anti-bike sights. You have my word that these sights have used posts from both RM and MTBR where certain members have been a bit too beligerent in their posts as ammo. So, please keep it constructive.

Thanks for the heads up on the traps. I have seen similar instances myself, and its always appalling to think that someone would wish physical harm and possible death to another human being just for the sake of access to a trail. The glory of the wilderness (something that most hikers seem to charish) is its freedom, and the lack of hostility and irrational hatred which endures there. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. Voice your opinions, but under no circumstances bring yourself to that level.