Quantcast

SB8 tyres for 4X?

astoria

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
Sorry for the OT.
Does anyone use SB8 tyres for 4X (front and rear)?
Is it grippy as any other tyres used for 4X in hardpack conditions?
Thanks!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If there are any loose or dusty corners you will want some more traction up front. I run the SB8 on my DJ bike and I have lost the front end on a few occasions due to dust collecting in berms.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i find that their performance in mud leaves something to be desired. otherwise they are dope, i run them pretty much year round on my mini dh

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
In back it's fine for any conditions you'd find on a 4x track. In front it will be lacking if there's any looseness. Maybe have a Nevegal on hand that you can swap on if the front is pushing. I use 2.35"s front and rear on my AM bike and just have to pay attention in loose turns.

Last edited:

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I'm a big fan of the SM8 and probably keep them on my AM bike a little to late into the off season every year.. and I usually pay the price a few times in the wet for that before I put on the real meat. BUT.. when traction is plentiful, they are awesome. That is the obvious part. The cool bit about them though is that I've found that they are very predictable in their behaviour when you start to get rowdy on them. The traction may not be there as much a proper tire, but they let go nice and easy, unlike a Larsen which I feel is on/off.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Agreed. You can do the smoothest drifts with both feet clipped in, especially if the rear is a little more worn than the front. They make my Mojo feel incredible on twisting hardpack singletrack.

IMO, they have the best ratio of traction to weight/rolling resistance. The key is to know when you're about to take them out of their element and either adjust your expectations or mount a different tire in front.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
another underated choice to check out?

Specialized's Control Fast Trak LK tire

extremely grippy when cornering, but light and very fast rolling

dual compound, kevlar bead, tubeless compatible, cheap too (compared to Maxxis, etcl)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
probably the best combo is the Schwable Nobby Nic 2.25 up front and Racing Ralph 2.10 in the rear. Light, fast, and awesome grip. Did I mention Light, fast, and awesome grip?