Quantcast

SC nomad sizing...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
anyone here actually ride / own a nomad ?? i m keen to hear first hand experienced riders and or owners opinions... i m 5 10 and a whole 1/2" inch, nudging 5 11 i guess...

i was gonna rent a nomad today @ d-ville, but they want 85 bucks... too much for my cheap team hobo racing ass... i m torn between the medium and the large... thankfully the cool folks at yuba expeditions http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/downieville.html were good enough to let me parking lot test both the M and L frame... thanks asa :thumb:

i think i have it sorted but i d like to hear what sizes people are riding... i m gonna opt for the dhx coil as opposed to the air as well... of course the beast will rock an 07 talas rc2...

btw, the black chrome option looks sick, it has a nice green tinit to it in sunlight... :drool:

cheers

partsbara

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
anyone here actually ride / own a nomad ?? i m keen to hear first hand experienced riders and or owners opinions... i m 5 10 and a whole 1/2" inch, nudging 5 11 i guess...

i was gonna rent a nomad today @ d-ville, but they want 85 bucks... too much for my cheap team hobo racing ass... i m torn between the medium and the large... thankfully the cool folks at yuba expeditions http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/downieville.html were good enough to let me parking lot test both the M and L frame... thanks asa :thumb:

i think i have it sorted but i d like to hear what sizes people are riding... i m gonna opt for the dhx coil as opposed to the air as well... of course the beast will rock an 07 talas rc2...

btw, the black chrome option looks sick, it has a nice green tinit to it in sunlight... :drool:

cheers

partsbara
I am also your height, and I am planning on buying a medium Nomad.

I already have a medium VP-Free, which is .5 inch longer than a Nomad. Considering my XC-style riding, my VP is slightly long for me, although I do use a 50mm stem.

The Nomad medium should be spot on for me.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Mmmm... Laphroaig...
thats the best thing you ve said today... as opposed to my golden , insightful rhetoric...

sanjuro... have u thrown a leg over a M nomad ??? if you are more XC inclined i would have thought you d prefer a L... maybe not with a 50mm stem... i come from more of a dh background... i tested a mates v10 (M) and the top tube felt tiny...

fark this, i m confused...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
thats the best thing you ve said today... as opposed to my golden , insightful rhetoric...

sanjuro... have u thrown a leg over a M nomad ??? if you are more XC inclined i would have thought you d prefer a L... maybe not with a 50mm stem... i come from more of a dh background... i tested a mates v10 (M) and the top tube felt tiny...

fark this, i m confused...
I have been on a large and a medium, although it was both parking lot, down-the-street rides.

My arms are not the longest, so I currently ride a 17' Kona Dawg Primo (they also make a 18' which seemed just a bit too long for me), with a 23 inch ett, 9cm stem, and an 80.5cm front-center (to the stem). It feels just right for everything, although I lower and extend my Talas on all elevation changes.

I do have to apologize about my incorrect impressions about my VP-Free (it has been a long weekend). When I first bought it, it had a 70mm integrated stem on a 04 888 with the high crowns, as well as a mid sized riser. I had a hard time feeling comfortable on this bike.

Since then, I put flat crowns, a 50mm regular stem, and a lo-rise bar. It lowered the front significantly and brought the bars closer to me.

I realize now that the front center is about 78cm, which makes the bike much more managable.

My impression of the medium during an "extended" road ride (to the liquor store and back) was that handling at the full travel felt horrible on the flat pavement. I am sure I think the same thing about my VP, and I am not so comfortable on a big travel bike.

When I lowered the fork to 100mm, it felt more like a regular xc bike. I don't remember if it was too short or long, but I remember I did think this is my frame size but the stem length was still in the air (basically 70, 80, or 90).

The couple times I have been on the large, it seemed too large.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, the Nomad is what I would use for D'Ville, Mr Toads, Joaquim Miller, Chinese DH. I would not select this for most Bay Area trails (I could probably make do with a hardtail) because it seemed like it would wander a little on the climbs for a slowcrawler like me.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I am 5'10", and have been riding an 06 Medium for a year. I went with a 90mm stem, and a setback post, and it feels right as rain. I love mine, but Sanjuro is correct that it is overkill for a lot of the bay area trails.

The cool thing about this bike is that it is very much so the "Swiss army knife" of bikes. With the right build you can get into the high 20's weight wise, and is at that point acceptable for a trail rider. Then for the next weekend on Toad's or Karpellis you change to some heavier tires and wheels, bring the fork to 160mm, and go to war.

My only gripe about this bike is that it takes some time to dial in right. there are days where I think I have it right, and then it slaps me in the head and tells me to try again. It takes some fussin', but I really do like it for everything my Enduro or Demo are not good for.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
My riding buddy just purchased one and the sizing on the Nomad seems to run a bit small. He initially tried a medium which he normally rides but the cockpit was quite cramped so he ended up with a large and has been experimenting with stem lengths. He is extremely pleased with the overall product and performance.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good info lads, thanks... hey tattoo, do you have the dhx air or coil ??
Given your size try out the air first. I have a dhxa on my 5spot and need high pressures to suspend my 210#s, but I love the shock. My lighter buddy needs to run relatively higher pressures on his Nomad, enough that my nomad will be equipped with a coil shock. 280-300psi doesn't belong anywhere near your junk IMO.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I run 290 in the main, and 100 in the boost on my DHX Air.

That shock makes it more versatile. Coil is great for pure freeride, but if you intend to use this for more then just gravity runs, saving some pounds is bueno.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Funny, I rode with a dude wo has ridden santa cruds for years and he agrees that the gonad is the ugliest POS they ever designed.
JD, when did you get another account?

I bet $5000 on a XC race that the Nomad can beat anything you're riding...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Parts, drop the coin on a rental so you can find out for yourself. Go up during the week and maybe do a run on each. They deserve every dollar they can get (and then some) but if you're gonna buy a frame or a whole bike from Yuba, maybe they can give you a break on the rental or a credit toward the purchase or something. If not, do it anyway - riding is the only way to know.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Parts, drop the coin on a rental so you can find out for yourself. Go up during the week and maybe do a run on each. They deserve every dollar they can get (and then some) but if you're gonna buy a frame or a whole bike from Yuba, maybe they can give you a break on the rental or a credit toward the purchase or something. If not, do it anyway - riding is the only way to know.
i think ya right mate... while i m pretty sure i need a large, i m still not 100%... i think i ll have to drop the $$$ and rent one... i m thinking i ll head up there early and do a run on a medium and then chill for a few hours and hit an 'arvo run on a large... i m pretty sure asa and the crew will just hit me up for one rental... but i guess i may have to clean off a bike...

i m not gonna buy the frame from those guys since i can get my hook up through a LBS... it d sux to end up with the wrong sized frame...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
looks like i m headin back for a spin... can you guys who ride nomads with dhx coil shocks give me an idea of ya body weight and the spring you re running... i wanna make sure this thing is set up specifically for my 220 heft when i ride it...

cheers, i appreciate all of ya help... totally stoked to be finally getting a trail bike...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
you re about as much help as a kick in the stones...
Well, I'm sure I'll do you good, then.

(Sorry about the Chicago thing...gonna be a ton of standing around...wish I could be riding. The Prophet is *almost* done.)

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO

cheers

partsbara
If it helps, I'm 6-2 and the Large is a tad on the short size for me. I prefer it that way anyway. With the seat post angle going ever higher, the further back your weight will be. The large bike you get the less you'll have issue rearing back. Otherwise there is significant top tube size between the two sizes (M and L).

Regardless, you'll love the nomad. It is the best of the best. It rides better with a Marz 66 than a Fox 36.