Quantcast

SC to SF or Mountain View?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Has anyone done the ride from Santa Cruz to Mountain View/San Jose area? I've heard that Skyline to Moody is the only way to ride it. Anyone have first hand experience?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amateur said:
Care to elaborate? I understand it's a long climb and a windy road...
Not the way I go...

Stevens Creek Bike Path
Miranda Ave
Junipero Serra
Alameda De Las Pulgas
Brittain Ave
Old Country Road (Delaware)
California Ave
Huntington Ave
San Mateo Ave
Bayshore Blvd
Tunnel Ave
3rd Ave
back over to Bayshore
then up Cortland...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i've done the other way: los gatos -> sc. i don't remember the route but could find out if it isn't obvious (we were on minor roads the whole time).

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
sanjuro said:
Not the way I go...

Stevens Creek Bike Path
Miranda Ave
Junipero Serra
Alameda De Las Pulgas
Brittain Ave
Old Country Road (Delaware)
California Ave
Huntington Ave
San Mateo Ave
Bayshore Blvd
Tunnel Ave
3rd Ave
back over to Bayshore
then up Cortland...
Sorry, but could you be a little more specific on the SC end of things?(IE how to get to Cortland)

Oh, and what's the average time? I'm thinking about 6-7 hours, but if it's relatively flat, then faster...

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
The ride can pretty much be broken into two parts: Climb to Skyline, descend from Skyline. It sure ain't flat, but it'll also take you, what, 2-3 hours? Maybe.

It depends quite a bit on where you want to end up on the SJ end. As an opening bid I'd suggest rt 9 all the way. Not a ton of fun on the ascent, but the descent into the Bay should be A-OK.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Wait, you want to go to San Jose or San Francisco?

If you are starting in Santa Cruz I'd say that Highway 9 is the best way. I've ridden it multiple times, loads of fun. Coming from SC it isn't too steep, but it is long. Dropping into Saratoga is pretty sweet as well.

Really depends on your final destination. Depends on your strength as well. I would suggest dropping down 9 and taking Red Wood Gulch road to Foothill and getting to Mtnview that way. Much easier ride. Moody and Pagemill suck to climb or descend.

The Ito

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I'll admit I actually haven't done 9 on the Santa Cruz side of the mountain, though I've driven it. It's gonna be pretty straight forward, but may be busy with the traffic (dunno -- how are the shoulders on 9?). The alternatives would likely be smaller, windier (steeper?) roads.

No, Page Mill isn't my favorite descent either (nor ascent). I'd rather ride up to 84. But that'll drop you in way too far north. If you're really going to MV, I'd say come down 9, left on Pierce, then Mt Eden, Stevens Canyon, and straight up Foothill. It'll keep your from having to ride on the flat hell that is Saratoga, and it's a pretty ride.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Well, I'm not going so much SC to SF, but Aptos to Novato. I have the rest figured out except for the Aptos>MV part. It's looking like I'll take Soquel to River st. Then take the 9 from there...

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Novato?!? Unless you absolutely need to go to MV, I'd probably suggest either some sort of Skyline-centric route or 1 the whole way (to the Golden Gate bridge). Why drop down into urban hell if you don't need to?

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
amateur said:
Has anyone done the ride from Santa Cruz to Mountain View/San Jose area? I've heard that Skyline to Moody is the only way to ride it. Anyone have first hand experience?
I do a fair amount of road riding in Santa Cruz county. Most riders avoid 9 between Felton and Boulder Creek; it's narrow with high speed traffic. North of Boulder Creek is nice, but the riders you see up that way, aren't usually coming from Santa Cruz via 9.

From Aptos, you could climb Eureka Canyon from Corralitos to Summit Road, ride north to Skyline, then drop down 9 to Saratoga. From Saratoga, I'd ask your friends about good routes to their place.

Or, you could take Soquel Blvd. up towards Santa Cruz, then take Branciforte to Granite Creek, which will take you into Scotts Valley. Cross the freeway to Scotts Valley Blvd and go up Glenwood. Hook a left up Mtn Charlie and CLIMB, but usually see very few cars. Mtn Charlie hits Summit, go left (north) then as above.

Look at Yahoo Maps. For more local info, I'd shoot an e-mail to ACTC.org, which is a good road club over that way