Quantcast

scam?? help a monkey out...plz

shaun

Chimp
Sep 19, 2001
So the following is an email I recieved regarding a set of forks I have been trying to sell/trade. What do you more experienced monkeys think about this. What do I have to loose?? I've erased his name just to keep it a bit private.
thanks
shaun.

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your mail. Presently am in Liverpool London Aspa shipping i have made arrangements with a shipping company thats Pacific Ocean Airliners ,they will be on ground to do the pick up at any location of your choice but I will have to inform you before the pick up will be done. As regards payment, this is what I am going to do, I
have a client in the US who is owing me $3,000 I would instruct him to make out a Cashier check to you in that amount and as soon as it clears your bank you can now deduct your money from it and send my balance by western union international tranfer. so tell the owner that you will recived a cashier check ,,, so to make anrangement for the good ,ok thanks a lot your response, I think I should be able to trust you with my balance. The reason why I am doing this is that it would take a Cahier Check sent from
over here in the London 30days to clear over there, whereas a Cashier check sent from within the US/canada would clear tops within 48hrs. I will also be using part of the balance to pay for the shipping company that will be on ground to do the pick up. So I would like you to deduct the western union charges from my balance.
So if my terms are acceptable to you, Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that I can know my stand, pls also send me your information such as the name that will issued on the Bank Check and your full address,
also your contact phone number along in your responce.
Regards,

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You should check the Scams section of Ridemonkey first, and do a search second. You'll find that this is an extremely common scam.

The number one rule of selling is, if you have to ask yourself if it's a scam, it is.

I also do not sell or even reply to people who can't take the time to write a properly punctuated and constructed email. Even people who don't speak English as their first language can usually put together a well constructed email - the difference between a language gap and a lack of effort is pretty obvious.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes, it's a scam. He'll send you a forged check, which will clear, and then you'll pay money, and then the bank will discover the forgery afterward and remove the entire sum of the check from your account.

It's the classic 'nigerian scam.' You'll probably get hundreds of these same scams with different themes over time.

MD

shaun

Chimp
Sep 19, 2001
I appreciate all the stain free replies. Gets a bit old all the flaming on some sites. But I guess that's what you get depending on the demographics.
later