Quantcast

Scam or not?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I recently sold a bike on eBay. And the buyer has recently contacted me saying he has run into some "issues" in regards to using Paypal to pay for the item. He's a new ebayer w/ zero feedback. Based on the following emails we've exchanged, think he's legit? I'm starting to get a bad vibe....

Him, August 30:

"Hi, It's XXXXX XXXXXXXX. I have completed the payment through paypal. I know it[s my fist uying but this is the first item I[m really interested i buying, the payment is done so don't worry. I will be expecting the bike to arrive next week. Hope everything goes well with the transaction. Please include all manuals you hace (shock, fork, etc.) and if you have the shock and fork pump please also include if possible. It will be my pleasure to be ridding your bike in Willits. If oyu have any questions or comments please ask. So good luck packing the bike. I'll send you an email as soon as I get it. Thaks for the bike!!!!"

Him, Sept. 2:

"Hi, I´m XXXXX XXXXXXXX. I am in the process of buying your bike. I´m a student of EARTH University in Costa Rica (www.earth.ac.cr). I study agricultural acience. I´m living in California for 4 months. I´m a special intern in an organization calle Ecology Action, where I do research and work. I´m really interested in having your bike. I have a Master Card credit card and have already signed into paypal. For this payment (of your bike) Paypal states that I have exceeded my sendind limit from the credit card (probably cause it´s my first buy) and it requires me to sign up with a bank acount form United States but I don´t have one yet, I plan to open one on monday. I brought my credit card form Costa Rica and I tried to use my dad´s account
but paypal denied it cause it was from a bank acount from BAC San José in Costa Rica. After I get my bank account I have to enter all the information required by paypal bank account information (wich includes, number of account and account counting number) so I also have to ask for a check book to fill in the bank routing number that paypal requires. Paypal takes 2-3 business days to verify my bank account so we must wait this time also. I´m very sorry for the wait but I really want to buy your bike and I´ll get payment as soon as the paypal allows it. Let´s stay in touch to verify the payment. I´ll keep you notified about the payment situation. Thanks a lot for the time. We´ll stay in touch, any comments or questions please write
back. Sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXXXXXX X.
Student of EARTH University
Ecology Action, Willits California"

Me, Sept. 4:

"Hi XXXXX,

Congrats on winning the bike! I hope you enjoy it. I understand your financial situation and will give you until the end of the week (Sept. 10) to get everything in order and pay via a verified Paypal account. Hopefully this will not be a problem. If for some reason, you are not able to pay withing this time frame, the bike will go back up for auction. Hopefully there will be no need to do this.

Just keep me posted with your progress, the bike will ship once payment is received.

Thanks!"

Him, Sept. 4:

"Hi XXXXXX, I wanted to ask you iif I could use a new paypal acount from a friend to pay the bike via paypal. I think I can do this while I`m logged on at ebay, so I just put all of my friends bank acount information cause I`m not going to be able to open a bank acount, they denied it cause I dont`t have a social security number. I will give this a shot today afternoon and if it works you will be
recieving the payment as soon as possible. So thanks for your pacience.

Sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXXXX"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sounds legitish...but if he uses the friend's paypal account, why not?

See if he can do a certified postal money order...shouldn't be tough for that one. The fact that he's not throwing "CAN I WRITE YOU A CHECK/GIVE YOU A COSTA RICAN MONEY ORDER" schpiel in your face leads me to believe he's not a scammer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
hey, I want to buy your bike, but I have a shady way which doesnt sound trustful....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, I have had paypal issues and I'm from Canada. I can only imagine how strict they are with non north american credit cards due to potential scams.

I'd give him a few days and see what happens if you aren't in a rush. Paypal will take a few days to verify a new bank acct as well. Also, some banks will not open a bank account for you if you are not an american national.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
When you start seeing things like...

"I am so xsited 2 buy your [insert item for sale here] bicycle, so pleez send me your information for a money order rite away!", then you should start to worry.

I'd say give him a few days, and see what happens. Paypal is good about getting money to the right person.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sounds like he might be legitimately having trouble getting you the money. As long as he's not sending you a money order for 10 grand so his shipping agent can pick up the bike, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just FYI, you are probably not covered under any of Paypal's protection policies. I think they only protect shipments sent in the US, UK and Canda. Also, they certainly won't protect a shipment that's shipped to an address that wasn't on the Paypal account.

Unfortunately, that means that if the guy files a complaint after he gets the item, Paypal may take the money first and ask questions later.

International selling is a pain.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Have him wire you cash through Western Union. If he's not willing to take the risk dealing with cash, stick with your guns...paypal in your account (from wherever) by a deadline, or it's back for sale (or to the next bidder...) Whatever paypal problems he's having, they're his, and he should have worked them out before bidding on a bike.

That said, a friend of mine from New Zealand couldn't get a paypal account, either.

MD

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just FYI, you are probably not covered under any of Paypal's protection policies. I think they only protect shipments sent in the US, UK and Canda. Also, they certainly won't protect a shipment that's shipped to an address that wasn't on the Paypal account.

Unfortunately, that means that if the guy files a complaint after he gets the item, Paypal may take the money first and ask questions later.

International selling is a pain.
I think he's IN California, just from Costa Rica (So his bank/CC/all that stuff) is Costa Rican, and therin lies his problem. Yay PATRIOT Act!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It isn't the patriot act. I had a hell of a time getting a US bank account when I lived in boulder for 4 years. I wasn't a citizen, so they didn't wanna do it. I finally found a bank to do it, and they required my passport and my Social Insurance Number.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thanks for the advice all. I'll certainly ride it out until Sunday since that's what I told hime I would do. I'll decide where to go from there...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
zero feedback, international, and paypal problems = probably a scam.
but you can never be sure. I generally don't sell internationally because of legal issues if there is a problem, and the high scam rate.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Get a bank wire transfer set up, totaly safe for you, and cost free on your end, minimal cost on his. Western Union is full of scammers.
Western Union=cash in your hand. Can't scam that...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
is he going to want you to shiop it to costa rica or California ?

Have him send a Postal Money Order !

if he wants it shipped to Costa rica , I'd say Scam
No, he wants it shipped to Cali. Seems to me like a kid that just didn;t have his ducks in a row before he hit "Buy it Now". But, I did specify in the payment section that payment was to be received within 72 hours from the end of the auction, and that I only accepted Paypal. Don't you think he would have had a paypal acct. set up before he agreed to make a $800 purchase if those were the terms?