Quantcast

scandium: your thoughts

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
wha y'all think about it? does it ride like ti, steel or alu?

(im jonesin for a salsa bandito and can get one at a sweet price)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its just a stronger alloy of aluminum. Strong enough that it can be thinner so a scandium frame of comparable strength will be lighter and a bit more forgiving than an identical frame made from a more pedestrian aluminum.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
thanks for the input.

im not a aluminum hater, but im just looking for info. heck, I love the ride of my titus (7??? series aluminium)

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
One of my favorite road bikes I've ever swung a leg over is a Merckx Team SC, full scandium frame. super light and responsive, and way more comforatble than your average aluminum frame. Are they all this way? Not sure, this is the only one I've ridden, but they all seem pretty light anyway. Look at the Rocky Mountain TSc, 3" travel frame, weighing 5.1lbs frame and shock.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Stan is a light guy but this year he has abandoned his FS to exclusively ride a Bandito and hasn't complained about a rough ride yet. That's from a 53 year old with an FRM super stiff carbon fork up front. I'd look like a circus freak on his bike so I've never tried it, but it must be good.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Scandium rocks. Rides super sweet, light, strong. If you can afford it, buy it. Lighter than most carbon stuff as well.

J

JRB

I rode a Caballero for around 7 months. I like the ride and the scandium is laterally stiff. The cockpit is too short is the only reason for me selling mine. I've not known anyone to break one. I'm guessing Reflux has never owned or broken one. :rolleyes:

I'd give it a whirl.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
To all ya hata's out there. True, I've never owned a scandium frame and all of the info is second hand from ROAD frames. But, I know three people off the top of my hear who have cracked scandium road frames in less than one year. This was between 2 and 3 years ago, so maybe there've been some improvements, but I would still stay away.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
The Toninator said:
i hear its pretty light but it's still aluminum
actually, it's not aluminum. It's element number 21 on the periodic table. They may alloy it with aluminum in bicycle tubing, I'm not sure, but it is not auminum.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
reflux said:
To all ya hata's out there. True, I've never owned a scandium frame and all of the info is second hand from ROAD frames. But, I know three people off the top of my hear who have cracked scandium road frames in less than one year. This was between 2 and 3 years ago, so maybe there've been some improvements, but I would still stay away.
the quality of the build could have as much to do with the cracking as the material itself. I know a 260 clydsedale who has been on a scandium hardtail for over 2 years now, with out a single problem.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Anything superlight will not be superdurable. Scandium tubing as sold for bicycles is an aluminum alloy. The prime component of the tubing is aluminum. Just like steel bikes are cromium molybdenum or manganese molybdenum, and 3/2.5 or 6/4titanium is aluminum and vanadium added to the mix. I have personaly cracked and seen others crack prestige steel frames, a couple Klien aluminum frames a couple of older Lightspeed titanium mountainbikes, any frame can fail if its ridden hard, has a flaw or is stressed beyand what it was designed for.