Quantcast

Scanner for work

I know it's been discussed before but since these things change so quickly...

I've been charged with finding a scanner for my office. We are an accounting firm so words and numbers are what we'll be scanning.... letters, spreadsheets etc.... it doesn't have to be super fast because we don't anticipate a huge volume. There are only 7 people here also.

I'm going to start my research but I always like to start here first because you guys are right on top of stuff :)

What do you think about the HP scanners? From what I've seen so far, HP, Canon and Epson are the way to go??

What features should I look for?

Thanks all!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't really know anything about scanners but i've been happy w/ the epson one i have. don't really use it that much but it's really clear and works well. maybe check out reviews at zdnet?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MtnBikerChk said:
I know it's been discussed before but since these things change so quickly...

I've been charged with finding a scanner for my office. We are an accounting firm so words and numbers are what we'll be scanning.... letters, spreadsheets etc....<snip>

What features should I look for?
http://reviews.cnet.com/Scanners/4502-3137_7-0.html?tag=dir.fscan then pick the one in your price range. If you're only going to be scanning text I would recommend one that's cheap and fast.

We have an Epson Perfection (older) for scanning photos and it's a nice scanner.

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I've had nothing but good experiences with HP perifrials. I have an 8 year old HP scanner at home that I prefer over our stupidly-slow Umax that we have here at work. As far as scanners go, I've used HP, Epson and Umax and the HP has been my favorite for speed, ease of use and scanning quality. I also recently purchased an HP inkjet photo printer at home that OWNS both the Canon and Epson printers I had before it.

J

JRB

We have this bad ass copier that can can and email a PDF file of a document. It freakin' rocks. Except when I am the one that has to wait for it to warm up.

J

JRB

pixelninja said:
peripherals whatever

Glad I could feed your superiority complex today
Haha - that was way funnier than your use of perifrials. :thumb:

Take that, Warren Miller.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pixelninja said:
I also recently purchased an HP inkjet photo printer at home that OWNS both the Canon and Epson printers I had before it.
which canon model did you have? the i900D i just picked up for $150 has been very impressive.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
loco-gringo said:
Haha - that was way funnier than your use of perifrials. :thumb: [/IMG]
What? You guys never heard of Peri Frials?

He's Perry Farrell's cousin...

Yeah I know. Weak...

But HP PERIPHERALS still rock... :p

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
narlus said:
which canon model did you have? the i900D i just picked up for $150 has been very impressive.
I don't remember the model. What I DO remember is that the paper feed would NEVER work. I'd have to practically shove the paper down into it to make it catch. I hated that damn thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
I don't remember the model. What I DO remember is that the paper feed would NEVER work. I'd have to practically shove the paper down into it to make it catch. I hated that damn thing.
We've got a cheap-ass HP DeskJet that has the exact opposite problem. We've taken to feeding one page at a time manually because the damn thing always wants to pull in 3 or 4 sheets.

Damn perifrials........... :D

-S.S.-

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Okay, here's another couple questions which might be relevant. How much volume do you currently expect to be scanning with this equipment and project? Can you picture this scanner being used for a larger volume project which will require more speed?

Will this in any way be used for going paperless at some point? If so, when do you expect to go paperless and will this equipment be used for it?

Personally, I'm not looking forward to our office going paperless. It's so much harder to review work and workpapers on a computer screen compared to the old fashioned way (printer and paper). Anyone else feel this way?

reflux said:
Okay, here's another couple questions which might be relevant. How much volume do you currently expect to be scanning with this equipment and project? Can you picture this scanner being used for a larger volume project which will require more speed?

Will this in any way be used for going paperless at some point? If so, when do you expect to go paperless and will this equipment be used for it?

Personally, I'm not looking forward to our office going paperless. It's so much harder to review work and workpapers on a computer screen compared to the old fashioned way (printer and paper). Anyone else feel this way?
right now, what we want is to be able to email letters and such. If we do go paperless, we will need a higher volume scanner - so that would be a future purpose.

current volume? probably slow at first - like I said, we are only 7 people and scanning documents to email is our first priority.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
narlus said:
no feeder issues but i've only used glossy photo paper so far. the print quality is outstanding.
I may have gotten a lemon. I don't know. The print quality was decent, but the babysitting was a pain.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the first one i got was a total lemon out of the box. gave a code which wasn't in the troubleshooting section (ie, needs service).

canon to their credit over-nighted a new one and told us to keep the 6 ink pots for our troubles.

:thumb: