Quantcast

scanner software

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
We have a big Brother office laser printer/scanner unit for our home office. Are there aftermarket scanner software we can use? The default that comes with it (paper port) is unbelievably bad.... recs anyone?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
How is the software bad?
It doesn't work properly. Inconsistent. Stupid interface. Half the time it scans and literally does not save the file. The option to save the file ( done) only appears about every 5th time you run the scan. The rest of the time it just goes through the motions of scanning, but doesn't save the file. Any time we need to scan something its a whole freaking rigamarole of multiple attempts, swearing, and "Maybe it will work this time" and "dammit".

I don't have fricking time to call brother and spend two hours on the phone to get the program running right. I was hoping for a nice simple aftermarket standalone

I found an update last night, we'll try that.

What we are scanning for our engineering company: pieces of maps, old documents, the occasional historical photos. Stuff mostly for engineering reports, not graphic art projects.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you have photoshop you can scan through that as long as the scanner drivers are installed. This is how i do it on all of my machines. Generally those scanner programs are terrible across the board.