Quantcast

Scanning email for viruses

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
My subscription for NAV just ran out so I decided I'd give AVG's free anti-virus a shot. I've been happy with it for the day I've used it but I haven't really gotten into the nuts and bolts yet. One thing I noticed this morning when checking my pop3 email was that it scanned my mail. I remember having to turn off email scanning in NAV or else it would fail everytime I tried to send or recieve an attachment larger than about 500kb.

My wife and I are pretty concious about our email and we don't open attachments that seem even remotely suspicious. We don't get hardly any spam through at that address, the bulk of our mail both personal and spam is through a free yahoo account. Yahoo scans all attachments automatically so I feel like I'm pretty well protected even without AVG scanning my email, I may just turn it off like I did with NAV to prevent any problems.

Does anybody scan emails for viruses, have you found a lot of viruses this way?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I guess I'd look at it as, realistically, does it actually slow you down by any meaningful margin? If not, leave it running.

I think email viruses are the worst, though, and probably would leave it running anyway. All it takes is one good friend who usually doesn't have any problems to open a "funny" file, not know he's infected, and think it's funny enough to send it along to you. I have had that happen twice - and I'm not talking about the obvious worms that appear to come from your friends.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I guess I'd look at it as, realistically, does it actually slow you down by any meaningful margin? If not, leave it running.

I think email viruses are the worst, though, and probably would leave it running anyway. All it takes is one good friend who usually doesn't have any problems to open a "funny" file, not know he's infected, and think it's funny enough to send it along to you. I have had that happen twice - and I'm not talking about the obvious worms that appear to come from your friends.

I guess it's not hurting anything to let it run, if anything it's better than NAV because it's not such a resource hog. I've literally got another 128mb of ram free after uninstalling NAV. I'll have to do a few tests to see if AVG has problems with email attachments like NAV did. Now that I think about it I believe that NAV had issues with me uploading photos to yahoo photos too.

I just don't really like having stuff run that I don't need running.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
damn, i meant suck my computer's will to live. Not plain suck. You beat my attempted edit! :biggrin:

That said, they should sell the non bloatware.
Lets say, there are many threads of discussion about what to do at my company...