Quantcast

Scheiß drauf, Freitag

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

It is fuck it Friday before my week off. Not going anywhere or doing anything cool, but I SHOULD have the hot water heater swapped, the radiator hoses swapped and coolant refilled and ready for adventure. We talked about maybe a day trip to the beach as a dry run. I'm also taking it back in to have the alignment rechecked since I swapped out the steering box.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Evening out last night with friends - had dinner at a new-to-me place in Golden called Abejas and had an excellent duck breast. Then we wandered over to Miner's Alley Performing Arts to see "The Full Monty" - and it was quality entertainment.

Probably should get some more coffee now...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Currently working my way through my THX boxed DVD set of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection. The original is still very good, but very dated in some of the effects and future "tech". But given it's from 1979 I'll let it pass. Aliens (started last night) however is very good in that regard.

Toshi, you can borrow the boxed set if you'd like.
What about Prometheus and Alien: Covenant?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What about Prometheus and Alien: Covenant?
No Ripley and not in my OG boxed set. I thought I'd watched them both, I think I have Prometheus, but I just watched both trailers and don't remember them.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not many people at rock creek. got in 14 laps before le tired set in. here to report that dh is still super fun. plus the shuttle driver had a kitten that he let vinnycactus's gf hold on the way up, which was something mew...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Moar shit to do around the house. Tire rotations this afternoon, job interview at 10 for a position I'll almost certainly turn down even if it's offered and painting the guest room. Never did get on a bike. :(
Got on a bike, lovely low key lap around Palmer from the house on the unridabru bike. The only low moment was the giant faceful of Gnat bukkake I caught down at the bottom of a ravine. 9/10, will bang again.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley is starting to learn her lessons around fitness, eating & drinking, and taking care of yourself at the track. The boys she was out with today pretty thoroughly beat her up. They both do secondary sports that require a lot of cardio fitness and it was pretty apparent that they still had plenty of energy after the fourth 20min session while she was gassing out. They were also doing a really good job of drinking water (one on his own, parents reminding the other), which Haley was just disregarding apparently. She will just not drink water at times until she gets thirsty, at which point it's too late. And then she didn't put sunblock on, despite being offered - she's nice and toasty.

We have a team day tomorrow so I made sure that we stopped to get some Gatorade, which she will drink. It's not my preferred, but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

She did get some good coaching and has changed her turn-in point on one turn which was costing her .3sec/lap. She's about 1.3sec off Issac, so it's a big correction. She has two other turns that she really needs to work on, but the action for both is trusting your kart to slide then settle, which she is struggling with. We shall see how things go tomorrow.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I gots the Covids, so now all my food has to have Chili sauce or heaps of sugar so I can taste something.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
4K UHD Blu-ray for things that demand quality. Streaming for things that do not.
My parents had a video store for probably near 20yrs, since that shut I could not give a fuck about picture quality, 1080 is fine by me and any more than two speakers is just silly.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have to work at some electrical retailer warehouses and it's pretty funny when people rock up in a car expecting to pick up their new TV.
All shops should show box dimensions on display TVs, it would cut down the warehouse workers work a bunch.
But it would probably reduce the number of ego driven TV sales.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
4k and 5.1 is as ghetto as it gets for me, anything less is punishable by death
Can't be bothered with a sub these days, when my unemployment begins I will finally build up my next speakers. They will only be small bookshelf speakers but they should play down to about 35Hz with some EQ voodoo applied.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’ve got a nice OLED, 5.1.4 Atmos, a big ol’ 15” ported sub… and then I rarely use it all since I just moonlight these days apparently. I did buy the Dune 2 4K disc the other day.

Getting paid is good tho

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
That is actually me in my avatar. I look nothing like Vyvyan from the Young Ones. I had nothing to with building any bridges over the crick in Tryon. No sir not me... I got caught poaching the park again at night. Same security officer. I could have lost her. They let me go again. It's just so much fun there at night or anytime for that matter. Nobody is going to stop me. Ever. I am hoping if any of you recognize me injured trailside you will call for help. This on the radar thing I am on is getting annoying. Only Dolphins can do that right? Why did God give both whales and bats the ability to echolocate? But nobody else.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I’ve got a nice OLED, 5.1.4 Atmos, a big ol’ 15” ported sub… and then I rarely use it all since I just moonlight these days apparently. I did buy the Dune 2 4K disc the other day.

Getting paid is good tho
I might watch Dune 1 tonight, still yet to see it.

I remember customers buying Pioneer Plasma TV's and wondering how much you had to like movies to pay that much for a TV, they were crazy money over here. One customer with a concreting company claimed theirs on tax because it was used for conferencing.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Took a buddy for his first ever mtb ride last weekend. It was muddy as fuck. He did great and had a good time but the bikes were just totally coated, absolutely plastered in mud. Ugh. Clumps of mud flomping off my helmet and falling down my back. Not OK really.

Anyway I helped him clean his last week but didn’t get around to mine till this weekend. Nice and dry at least but still took a solid couple of hours to do a good job. Had to give the chain a proper bath and rewax.

A while ago I bought a replacement derailleur as backup for when I eventually kill this one (and of course I have a spare derailleur hanger too) so I was wondering if it might be finally time to switch; my current derailleur is still the original M8000 (XT Shadow+) that came with the bike in late 2019, but it is looking beaten up pretty good now. Serviced a few times but seen its way the hard way through some banks and some roots a few times now. It’s on its second derailleur hanger.

The thing is though it still works great. Rock solid. Smooth even. Like I have just serviced two much newer Sram GX systems this week and even with new chains, perfect b-gaps and lubed cables my beat ass XT is way nicer. It’s still crisper and snappier, lower effort and lower drag. Let’s see how long it lasts.

Old guy and the eventual replacement:

IMG_8721.jpeg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
And at least some sort of Dolby certification.
Un-fun fact, one of the first uses of Surround sound headphones was in Centrepoint Tower in Sydney, I think they had it in 2000 or maybe even a bit earlier.
It was invented by Lake Tech who later sold it off to Dolby.

Took a buddy for his first ever mtb ride last weekend. It was muddy as fuck. He did great and had a good time but the bikes were just totally coated, absolutely plastered in mud. Ugh. Clumps of mud flomping off my helmet and falling down my back. Not OK really.

Anyway I helped him clean his last week but didn’t get around to mine till this weekend. Nice and dry at least but still took a solid couple of hours to do a good job. Had to give the chain a proper bath and rewax.

A while ago I bought a replacement derailleur as backup for when I eventually kill this one (and of course I have a spare derailleur hanger too) so I was wondering if it might be finally time to switch; my current derailleur is still the original M8000 (XT Shadow+) that came with the bike in late 2019, but it is looking beaten up pretty good now. Serviced a few times but seen its way the hard way through some banks and some roots a few times now. It’s on its second derailleur hanger.

The thing is though it still works great. Rock solid. Smooth even. Like I have just serviced two much newer Sram GX systems this week and even with new chains, perfect b-gaps and lubed cables my beat ass XT is way nicer. It’s still crisper and snappier, lower effort and lower drag. Let’s see how long it lasts.

Old guy and the eventual replacement:

View attachment 212355
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.