Quantcast

Schladming WC cancelled?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Rumour going around facebook - anyone here know anything firm?

"I think a couple of you guys already heard the rumors about the Schladming Worldcup…. nobody, including the citizens of Schladming, know at this point if the UCI DH/4X World Cup will take place in 2010 or not.

I think everybody, riders, sponsors, fans… want a clear statement if and when the event will t...ake place this year, cause we all have to plan our season a long time in advance. It is just unfair to leave us standing in the dark and pretend that everything is alright.

I think that Schladming is a great city, and it would be really sad if there would be no more World Cup Event there…

I call on everybody to post your comments on the "MTB World-Cup -Schladming-Planai" page (http://www.facebook.com/weltcup.schladming?ref=ts) to force the organiser to finally react!

Thanks,
Angie."

( http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=692655786&ref=nf )

I should point out I've no idea who Angie is, or what this is all about... eSpec at its best!

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
With the limited number of rounds having an event pull out could really put a dampener on things

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
By the way....

My opinion.....I know everybody says, Schadming is an awesome course.

But I'd like to see more variety of tracks in WC's. Schadming and Fort are in WC circuit since 2003 I think.

Verbier(SUI)
Leogang(AUT)
Kaprun
Vars
Nevegal
Pila
Les Gets
Vail
Squal Valley

etc.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Why don't we just have multiple rounds in Champery, and they have to wait till it starts raining to start the finals. Would be much more fun to watch!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Why don't we just have multiple rounds in Champery, and they have to wait till it starts raining to start the finals. Would be much more fun to watch!
hahah and puncture both Hill's tyres just to give the rest of the field a fighting chance.

Would suck to see Schladming gone though, that track is awesome.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
If it's really gone then the sport has lost one of the few 'classics' that are still raced.

Schladming is so much better than awesome that it's embarassing. May as well take MSA and Fort Bill out while you're at it and have 7 races back-to-back at Stromlo.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Rumour going around facebook - anyone here know anything firm?

"I think a couple of you guys already heard the rumors about the Schladming Worldcup…. nobody, including the citizens of Schladming, know at this point if the UCI DH/4X World Cup will take place in 2010 or not.

I think everybody, riders, sponsors, fans… want a clear statement if and when the event will t...ake place this year, cause we all have to plan our season a long time in advance. It is just unfair to leave us standing in the dark and pretend that everything is alright.

I think that Schladming is a great city, and it would be really sad if there would be no more World Cup Event there…

I call on everybody to post your comments on the "MTB World-Cup -Schladming-Planai" page (http://www.facebook.com/weltcup.schladming?ref=ts) to force the organiser to finally react!

Thanks,
Angie."

( http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=692655786&ref=nf )

I should point out I've no idea who Angie is, or what this is all about... eSpec at its best!
drop them an email - normally the answer very shortly

The only thing i heard so far is that the gondala station will be rebuild and therefore will not be used for the bikepark - but a workaround is available (another gondola near the train station)

would be a shame to cancel that late

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Schladming - dropped, the least of your problems.

Rumour has it that ALL mens classes ( Elite and Juniors ) are to be canned and it will be "Ladies only" this season - the catch , they must compete all events in skin suits. Apparently the UCI finally listened and are giving us what we want :weee:

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Schladming is so much better than awesome that it's embarassing. May as well take MSA and Fort Bill out while you're at it and have 7 races back-to-back at Stromlo.
hahaha... duump yo DH bikes? i'd have to coz there aint no power in these old legs!!!

not that i race WCups.... ;-)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
it takes 3 years to plan for Ski Worlds??
They are basically rebuilding the entire infrastructure of the town from what I have been led to understand. They started 2 years ago with a new parking structure right next to the slope, as well as a new hotel across the street (which was rad). I think the entire finish area is now being torn up.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They are basically rebuilding the entire infrastructure of the town from what I have been led to understand.
is all that really necessary for Ski World Championships??? i dont know too much about the city itself, but rebuilding the whole city's infrastructure is no small task, especially for a ski competition

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
is all that really necessary for Ski World Championships??? i dont know too much about the city itself, but rebuilding the whole city's infrastructure is no small task, especially for a ski competition
That town LIVES skiing. They will give worlds everything they have, it is a massive, massive deal for them.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
At least....one city replaced Schladming....

It's good to see some different courses in WC sometimes, as I said some posts ago.

What I saw on Focus (2008 Parkin brothers movie), it is a good course.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Leogang is known for it's bike park and a few freeride events it holds every year. It should be pretty good, hopefully we can all see a helmet cam run of the course sometime soon!

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Leogang is known for it's bike park and a few freeride events it holds every year. It should be pretty good, hopefully we can all see a helmet cam run of the course sometime soon!
then we can bash it on the interwebs.........then be pleasently suprised that it was good, like le bresse last year :)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
They rebuilt St ANton for Worlds. As Transcend said, Worlds for skiing is HUGE.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
it takes 3 years to plan for Ski Worlds??
from my understanding they are also doing major reconstruction to the gondola/gondola stations... there isno good alternative way up the course as it starts at midstation. even if you could get to top of mtn via the lify on other side of town, it would then require 1,500 ft of dh just to get down to start... the mountain is massive.

as far as ski worlds being big.... it is up there with WC soccer.

google search vid for schladming night slalom... thats the super steep grass section we race at the end of Schladming DH.

picture this event x 100 when you ad all the other Alpine events and it being worlds. it will transform the town

Schladming Night Slalom with Best of Both Golf & Ski on Vimeo

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did some googling this morning, I saw somewhere that they are also widening some of the slopes and repairing/replacing a number of ski bridges.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as far as ski worlds being big.... it is up there with WC soccer.

google search vid for schladming night slalom... thats the super steep grass section we race at the end of Schladming DH.

picture this event x 100 when you ad all the other Alpine events and it being worlds. it will transform the town

http://vimeo.com/3340047

yup. As popular as MTB and dh are over in europe, to many of them its simply "something to do in the offseason"

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

this should give a general idea... these guys ride i bit of the isx cup track, or one that parallels it... looks like a classic flowy twisty euro course. Similar to Pila in a way.

I think Nick beer won the isx cup last year in 4:25 or something so it will be a legit hill to race on

Leogang shredding on Vimeo

***EDIT*** here's a helmet cam from ISX CUP MTB-Freeride.TV - Rider Blog Benny Strasser Helmcam Seeding Run Leogang 2009 on Vimeo

Last edited:

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
The helmet cam is horrible....shows only the front wheel and fork.

But the course looks good.

It would be cool see the race in a very mud conditions, hehehe.

edit: one mistake in pressrelease was:
Schaldming was the third round and not the sixth.

Last edited: