Quantcast

Schleck: ‘I can still win this Vuelta’

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Saxo Bank’s Frank Schleck (Specialized bikes) believes overall victory is still a possibility following a steady performance in Saturday’s grueling summit finish up the short but steep tPeña Cabarga at the Vuelta a España.</p><p>
*</p><p>
Schleck crossed the line sixth in the 178km 14th stage at 35 seconds behind stage-winner Joaquim Rodríguez and settled into sixth overall at 2:12 behind new race leader Vincenzo Nibali.</p><p>
*</p><p>
The Luxembourg national champion still believes everything is possible in the 2010 Vuelta with a week to go.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“I still believe with the same idea that I started with, winning or at least the podium,” Schleck said at the line Saturday. “Today was once again very steep and very fast, but the legs are coming around. I feel better every day and I believe I can still win this Vuelta. Why not? There are three hard mountain stages left, and anything can happen.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
The stage was marked by the horrific crash with less than 10km to go by overnight leader Igor Antón, who hit the deck hard and likely broke his elbow. That opened the door for Nibali to move into the race leader’s jersey, four seconds ahead of Rodríguez.</p><p>
*</p><p>
Schleck said he is quietly confident he will be able to shine in two grueling climbing stages on tap for Sunday and Monday. Tomorrow’s stage tackles the legendary climb up the Lagos de Covadonga and Monday climbs the new summit to Cotobello.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“I am ready for a longer climb where I can set a steady pace and maybe make some time on my rivals,” Schleck explained. “I have to be content with where I am right now. I broke my clavicle in three places at the Tour de France, so no one expected me to be doing so well after nearly eight weeks without racing. Yet here I am. My legs are feeling better and we have to see what will happen.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
The 65th Vuelta continues Sunday with another difficult stage with the 187.3km 15th stage from Solares to Lagos de Covadonga. The route rolls west along Spain’s northern coast before turning up the extremely steep Covadonga summit, high in the Picos de Europa.</p>

More...