Quantcast

Schleck Lives Dream

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Luxembourg's Andy Schleck lived out one of his dreams by riding into the Tour de France's yellow jersey today in Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne. Powering a unique, custom-painted Tarmac SL3 bike, he attacked several times on the Madeleine climb and created what will be a head-to-head fight with Spain's Alberto Contador.</p><p>
</p><p>
"In a race like the Tour, when there is an opportunity, you have to take it," said Schleck. "That's what I did today."</p><p>
</p><p>
Team Saxo Bank's Schleck responded after Contador's Astana team dropped race leader Cadel Evans. He worked with Contador to gain seven minutes on Evans by the top of the Madeleine climb and then even found the strength to fight for the stage win. </p><p>
</p><p>
Schleck finished seventh in a small sprint, but number one at the Tour de France. He stepped onto the podium to accept his first yellow jersey, a prize he can add to his trophy case with last year's Liège-Bastogne-Liège trophy and stage win Sunday.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Saxo Bank has been working for this and the team is motivated by having the yellow jersey," continued Schleck. "The team already did that at the start for Fabian Cancellara and it will be the same for me."</p><p>
</p><p>
Team Saxo Bank owner, Bjarne Riis, was delighted at the finish. “The plan was to put in a huge pressure if Andy Schleck was feeling alright and thankfully, he was flying. Jens Voigt, Chris Anker Sørensen and Jakob Fuglsang put in a world-class effort and they actually started the massacre on our opponents. Jens was ready to work for Andy on the final part of the mountain and when he wasn't able to drop Contador today, he did the right thing and worked together with him. Mission accomplished today, but the Tour de France is far from being over.” </p><p>
</p><p>
Schleck gave Contador the best fight last year, finishing just over four minutes back. He admitted that if he is to win this year he will have to gain more time ahead of the 52-kilometre time trial.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The difference from this year to last year was that I am ahead of him on GC, not the other way round. If he wants to win this, he has to attack me. But, I do need to gain more time."</p><p>
</p><p>
Schleck leads by 41 seconds over Spain's Contador, 2'45" over Samuel Sánchez (Euskaltel-Euskadi) and 2'58" over Denis Menchov (Rabobank).</p><p>
</p><p>
He may enjoy at least four more days in yellow as the next big test for the classification riders comes Sunday with the mountaintop finish to Ax 3 Domaines.</p><p>
</p><p>
Andy Schleck’s one-of-a-kind S-Works Tarmac SL3 features names of 250 riders randomly selected from thousands who entered the “In It To Win It” contest. Andy explains in the video below.</p>

More...