Quantcast

Schmidt or Starr pain scale?

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Having been hook-suspended and going through a broken neck and spinal cord injury, my pain threshold and tolerance is pretty altered.
I've done broken neck and multiple back surgeries, but WTF - "hook-suspended" - self inflicted or some kind of hellraiser abduction? you win regardless!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
in the field we use zero to 10 with zero being normal and 10 being the absolute worst pain you can imagine.

Having the distal head of my right biceps tendon completely tear in half and the biceps muscle retract up the inside of my arm up to the shoulder while trying not to drop a patient in a hospital was the most intense pain I have ever felt and remained conscious through. I give it a 10 and it stayed at that intensity for about 10 minutes until the ice packs and drugs brought it down to an 8. I did not know that my voice could reach that high an octave. Yes my arm dropped limp to my side and I almost crumpled to the floor and would have except for the drive to not drop a helpless patient to the floor.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
the worst pain i´ve even experienced was a stingray sting.

i´ve broken my collarbone biking (in the middle of nowhere, and had to endure a 1 hour ride over a bumpy dirt road where i could hear the broken ends of my bone scratching) and had many other, thanks to my mtb, painful experiences.... but the stingray beat them all, by far.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
in the field we use zero to 10 with zero being normal and 10 being the absolute worst pain you can imagine.

Having the distal head of my right biceps tendon completely tear in half and the biceps muscle retract up the inside of my arm up to the shoulder while trying not to drop a patient in a hospital was the most intense pain I have ever felt and remained conscious through. I give it a 10 and it stayed at that intensity for about 10 minutes until the ice packs and drugs brought it down to an 8. I did not know that my voice could reach that high an octave. Yes my arm dropped limp to my side and I almost crumpled to the floor and would have except for the drive to not drop a helpless patient to the floor.
The 10-scale seems to have too many points on it. I have a hard time figuring if it is a 7 or an 8. 1 through 5 would be better suited in my mind.
My dislocated shoulder was the highest on the scale for the longest time period. I had to hike out of a trail, get a ride to he hospital, and then wait forever for pain meds and relocation. It was a few hours of terrible that came and went in waves. I'll never forget my friend coming back into the emergency room and asking me "Since you like pain so much, does this count as maturbation for you?" I laughed, which hurt more.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
You guys have me all licked. But here's my "9"

Worst pain I ever had was severe iritis after a co-worker flung an overnight letter right into my eye.

Right after it happened, it hurt, but not as bad as the next day when the "iritis" happened. After a few hours, I couldn't be around any source of light. Couple hours later, I could have my hand over my eye, with it shut, and tell if there was a match lit... Only way I could describe it, would be similar to someone stabbing you in the eye socket with a flathead screwdriver, then slowly turning it. If someone turned a light on, that's when it felt like someone hit the screwdriver with a hammer.

Went to the ER and sat blindly waiting, while some unknown dude was puking his guts out somewhere over my right shoulder... Heavy dose of morphine finally made the pain subside.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I understand what pain scales are intended to do but I think they're bullsh1t.

At this point in my life shingles has been the most - ah - exhilarating. It's there, it does not stop. Exquisite.
Yep. Worst pain I ever felt was from a shingles induced Migraine. Broken fingers that seemed to be growing out of the back of my hand and dislocated shoulders couldn't touch shingles.

splat

Nam I am
I understand what pain scales are intended to do but I think they're bullsh1t.

At this point in my life shingles has been the most - ah - exhilarating. It's there, it does not stop. Exquisite.
I use kidney stone size to judge pain. 1cm stone=worst pain of my life.
I've had Shingles , and I thought it was bad, then I had a a Kidney stone!!! Thats a whole nother lever of Pain! 3 shots of Morhine and I was still hurting!