Quantcast

school board shooting

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
pretty crazy ish, especially the video of the guy shooting the place up.
i guess head lice was a touchy subject for him

the woman trying to disarm him was one brave SOB

We're at a board meeting, and we're talking about technology and head lice, and next thing we know, this guy's got a gun in our face," Bill Husfelt, superintendent of Bay District Schools in Panama City, Florida, said Wednesday.
Clay Duke, 56, sat quietly through the meeting until it was time for citizens to bring up issues. Then he approached the front of the room, spray-painted a red "V" with a circle around it on the wall and brandished a small-caliber handgun. He ordered the room cleared of everyone but six men.
video at link
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/15/florida.meeting.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
worst shot in the history of shooting...
Survival of the fitness right there!
Anyone notice that it's in Florida, the "nutsack" of the USA?!?
Strange things happen everyday in Florida!

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I bet his gun was acquired legally.
So?

Drunk drivers are rarely driving stolen cars.
Bernie Madoff was a registered trader.

The problem is the person.

In both of these videos the perps would've been better off with a shotgun.
Good thing legal purchases don't require formal training, somebody could've been killed!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
People with guns shoot more people then people without guns.
Pim Fortuyn and Theo van Gogh (now with bonus stabbing!) agree with you.

The (former) residents of Srebrenica wish your countrymen were a little quicker on the trigger however.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Pim Fortuin and Theo v Gogh are hardly an every day scenario and my country men, among others, were ordered not too shoot in that specific part of that conflict. I know because my ex father in law was there, a bunch of trigger happy Yanks would have surely done a lot better, just like theyre doing in the rest of the world.
But ofcourse these cases have very little to do with the subject at hand here.

What does, is that the numbers we lack in shootings, are not compromised by stabbings or other violent crimes. I can assure you you are way ahead on us on that.
And if u cant comprehend that banning guns would reduce the nr of shootings and thus also violent crimes u have significantly, well, i might as well stop explaining all together...

I could ofcourse agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
And if u cant comprehend that banning guns would reduce the nr of shootings and thus also violent crimes u have significantly, well, i might as well stop explaining all together...
no kidding... banning things make them go away altogether, it works for all kinds of things. heroin is banned in most states and it's rarely ever sold or used illegaly. cuban cigars are banned and those NEVER show up in humidor's either.

you see...making things illegal to possess/use and banning them really does work! :rolleyes:

the problem here isn't gun control, it's security countermeasures. unfortunately, this country is entirely to naive, selfish, and impatient to accept the necessary security measures that would prevent things like this happening....or worse. ...although, i have a feeling that this county's schoolboard will have more stringent security measures in place for the next meeting.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
no kidding... banning things make them go away altogether, it works for all kinds of things. heroin is banned in most states and it's rarely ever sold or used illegaly. cuban cigars are banned and those NEVER show up in humidor's either.

you see...making things illegal to possess/use and banning them really does work! :rolleyes:
So you'll be letting the next kid you catch with pot, coke or herion go will you? Thought not.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
So you'll be letting the next kid you catch with pot, coke or herion go will you? Thought not.
no, but everyone knows who's winning the "war on drugs." my point is that banning something does NOTHING to make it magically disappear as Kevin inferred.

again, how quickly would that threat have been neutralized had JUST ONE schoolboard member been armed?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

the problem here isn't gun control, it's security countermeasures. unfortunately, this country is entirely to naive, selfish, and impatient to accept the necessary security measures that would prevent things like this happening....or worse. ...although, i have a feeling that this county's schoolboard will have more stringent security measures in place for the next meeting.

So the fact that cocaine is illegal doesnt stop a single person from buying it?
Making things illegal makes a drastic difference.
Imagine cocaine being sold out of a store... U actually believe this isnt gonna raise the number of users exponentially?

The real problem is that the right to bare arms doesnt hold up in modern soceity. Unfortunatly it works in some cases and these cases will be the ones that are used in NRA propaganda and such making the people believe they need guns, especially if they allready want to believe it.

The fact that your goverment is too busy waving its dick around in the middle east in stead of focussing on all the bull**** thats going on in the US could well have something to do with all this, but i guess billions of dollars in oil are a lot more important then keeping your country safe for its people...

Sure better counter measures would make a small difference, but its far from 100% safe and even further from a soceity where most people would like to live in.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
In the USA the states with the strictest gun laws have the most shootings & violent crime. Criminals do not follow the laws in the first place, do you think that they will just surrender their guns to the cops?? If ONLY criminals have guns, what has been achieved? You cannot expect the police to save you whenever the SHTF. They are stretched too thin.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
In the USA the states with the strictest gun laws have the most shootings & violent crime. Criminals do not follow the laws in the first place, do you think that they will just surrender their guns to the cops?? If ONLY criminals have guns, what has been achieved? You cannot expect the police to save you whenever the SHTF. They are stretched too thin.
The states with the strictest laws still have most shootings? And you take this as scientific fact that gun restrictions dont work?
Theres so many factors to be incorparated in this, I cant even anwser this without knowing all the numbers.

Theres a structural problem if you have so many violent crimes and shootings which goes deeper then gun restrictions probably.

I cant imagine that people actually think that turning citizens into gun slinging vigillantes will make the world a safer place.
Street justice is not the way to go.
In stead your goverment, as you just said, have stretched prevention measures to thin and in stead are investing their energy in the wrong places.
Sure go and invade another country when your own country has a ****load of problems.

Prevention is better then curing.
How do you let citizens handle threat situations when your own police system cant even be properly trained to do this? Where do you draw the line in prosecuting citizens, where do you draw the line on unecessary force.
Seriously, this has so many implecations.... It would not be a good id to leave this up to your regular Joe to pull out a gun whenever he feels threatend.
And Im not even gonna start about all the rednecks/white trash/trailer trash wannabee cowboys that are gonna feel threatened whenever their trigger finger gets itchy.

Ofcourse I dont come from a country of cowboys "practising their God given rights" so what do I know.
In stead I come from a country that has far less violence and crime all together.
You decide if this has anything to do with the way we (and most of the civilized world) handle our stuff.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Kevin, if you do some research on the US Dept of Justice website you'll see that most gun violence in the US occurs within specific, localized demographics.
The average american doesn't need to worry about becoming a victim of gun violence.

While I was just trolling you last night (I lived in your country for 4 years and enjoyed the security of the sheeple state), it will be interesting to see if the increasing racial tensions caused by immigration will change your crime figures.

Maintaining peace is easy within a homogenous society.
Theo and Pim's killings were just the tip of the spear I'm afraid.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Kevin, if you do some research on the US Dept of Justice website you'll see that most gun violence in the US occurs within specific, localized demographics.
The average american doesn't need to worry about becoming a victim of gun violence.

While I was just trolling you last night (I lived in your country for 4 years and enjoyed the security of the sheeple state), it will be interesting to see if the increasing racial tensions caused by immigration will change your crime figures.

Maintaining peace is easy within a homogenous society.
Theo and Pim's killings were just the tip of the spear I'm afraid.
I kind of figured you had something to do with Holland... :)
I know the avarage US citizen doesnt fall into the demographic group that is plagued by these crimes. But because the country is so big there are numerous acounts where this does happen. The current thread being one of them and thats only regarding crimes that happen with fire arms, and not even counting the incidents. I just dont see the pros outweighing the cons.
Hell this shooting might not have happend if the acces to fire arms wasnt that easy. Id like to take my chances on that theory rather then have members of school boards walk around with guns in case another person with gun throws a fit about lice...

I think the incidents with v Gogh and Fortuin were just that, incidents. But I do agree that things can escalate if the situation is not handled well. Currently Id say it can go either way.
About us being a sheeple state, I fully agree. And Im not proud of it most of the time.
But untill were in a situation like the US I think we should try and avoid getting there.
The fact that the US is allready in a state in which citizens are allmost forced to take matters into their own hands to me is a prime example of how it shouldnt be. And in stead of solving the matter by having everyone wave their guns around I think the goverment should wake up and try and prevent this demise.

This might allready be too late, and in that case the entire legal system as you know it might break down with it and the consequences will be unforeseeable imo.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
In stead your goverment, as you just said, have stretched prevention measures to thin and in stead are investing their energy in the wrong places.
The level that the US Gov't goes through to prevent the spread of guns in this country is downright ridiculous. When straw purchases and gun-running are not only protected but actively encouraged by the NRA, of course that you're going to get higher levels of gun crime in urban areas that have stricter gun laws.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
we all know the solution to having way too many guns in the hands of psychos in the streets is, obviously, to dump many more guns into the streets!

somehow, psychos and weaver-stancing maam-i-know-what-am-doing-ive-watched-all-4-rambos mall-ninjas will balance out.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The notion of outlawing guns or increasing control would have prevented these type of scenarios is naive. Metal detectors make it close to impossible to bring guns on air planes and according to NYC, that amounts to jack squat. People on a mission have proven to use anything from pipe bombs to shoes to underware. That being said it is obvious that we need more undergarment control.

In addition to that, stating that the armed guard prevented absolutely nothing...unless I'm misinformed, the only person killed was the gunman.

I'm not a big NRA guy or pro gun person, but I guarentee if the woman with the purse had a weapon, there would have been one shot fired on that day.

I live in New Hampshire and will be picking up a shot gun for home security reasons. 20 miles away in a rural reputable town, three punk kids killed a women and mutilated her daughter in late night home invasion with a machete and knife. Politics asside, I have a 7 and three year old, and on the slim chance that someone enters my home, the last thing that I want to stake their lives on is a flimsy door and meaningless legislature.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The notion of outlawing guns or increasing control would have prevented these type of scenarios is naive. Metal detectors make it close to impossible to bring guns on air planes and according to NYC, that amounts to jack squat. People on a mission have proven to use anything from pipe bombs to shoes to underware. That being said it is obvious that we need more undergarment control.

In addition to that, stating that the armed guard prevented absolutely nothing...unless I'm misinformed, the only person killed was the gunman.

I'm not a big NRA guy or pro gun person, but I guarentee if the woman with the purse had a weapon, there would have been one shot fired on that day.

I live in New Hampshire and will be picking up a shot gun for home security reasons. 20 miles away in a rural reputable town, three punk kids killed a women and mutilated her daughter in late night home invasion with a machete and knife. Politics asside, I have a 7 and three year old, and on the slim chance that someone enters my home, the last thing that I want to stake their lives on is a flimsy door and meaningless legislature.
'nuff said. Talk to me when you're riding the number 7 train from Queens to Manhattan and you have to sit next to the homeless crazy guy ranting and raving about how all of his problems are the fault of the "fvcking cvnts of the world" and then get back to me about reasonable gun control.

I personally think every gun should be embedded with an RFID chip somewhere completely inaccessible, and the original purchaser of the weapon is 100% responsible for any and all crimes that that weapon is ever used for. If you want to own a gun, you'd better have a fail-safe way of keeping it out of the hands of criminals. It would eliminate straw-buyers and hopefully curb some of the rampant gun violence that plagues our cities.

Oh, that's right, the NRA would flip out and never go for it. Never mind.