Quantcast

school board shooting

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In addition to that, stating that the armed guard prevented absolutely nothing...unless I'm misinformed, the only person killed was the gunman.

I'm not a big NRA guy or pro gun person, but I guarentee if the woman with the purse had a weapon, there would have been one shot fired on that day.

I live in New Hampshire and will be picking up a shot gun for home security reasons. 20 miles away in a rural reputable town, three punk kids killed a women and mutilated her daughter in late night home invasion with a machete and knife. Politics asside, I have a 7 and three year old, and on the slim chance that someone enters my home, the last thing that I want to stake their lives on is a flimsy door and meaningless legislature.
The only reason the gunman was the only person killed is due to the fact the he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He failed to hit the school board guy who was sitting, max 15 feet away, strait in front of him. He also fired at least twice more at other board member before he was shot by the security guard and then still squeezed of a couple more before being hit again. Then the guy kills himself. The point being the low body count isn't due to somebody having the ability to return fire, but is in fact due to the assailants inability to shoot straight. What the woman with the purse proves is only the fact that everyone else in that room left their ballsack at home that day.

You have two little kids and now your bringing a gun into the house?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if people in the ghetto could actually shoot, the US's murder rate would be astronomical.

You have two little kids and now your bringing a gun into the house?
i dont see anything wrong with that what so ever.
teaching kids proper gun safety when firearms are present is obviously paramount though.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
if people in the ghetto could actually shoot, the US's murder rate would be astronomical.

teaching kids proper gun safety when firearms are present is obviously paramount though.
So we should give guns to everyone in the ghetto? Mr. School board nutjob hardly looked like he was from Watts.

And I completely agree with you about guns in the home. My father had a boat load of guns when I was a kid, and I have a couple myself with a two year old in the house. But they were and are always put well away/secured/unloaded. The implication however that your going to "protect your home" in an emergency with your sh*t under lock and key and your ammo stored FSM knows where while somebody is breaking in through your window is :rofl:

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
'nuff said. Talk to me when you're riding the number 7 train from Queens to Manhattan and you have to sit next to the homeless crazy guy ranting and raving about how all of his problems are the fault of the "fvcking cvnts of the world" and then get back to me about reasonable gun control.
I find giving them a nickel or half a bag of Doritos works wonders.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I'm tired of the American attitude that if you have had something, it's your god-given right till you die. Sh1t happens you dumb asses, adapt or die.

Wah wah I had this job for 20 years and now it's gone. Wah.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this. I've been around firearms from a very young age. First time I used a 12 gauge shotgun I was 10 years old. Safety is PARAMOUNT. and this was emphasized to me by my dad before he ever let me touch a gun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And I completely agree with you about guns in the home. My father had a boat load of guns when I was a kid, and I have a couple myself with a two year old in the house. But they were and are always put well away/secured/unloaded. The implication however that your going to "protect your home" in an emergency with your sh*t under lock and key and your ammo stored FSM knows where while somebody is breaking in through your window is :rofl:
This, bedside, and several other strategic locations, with firearm loaded and ready for use:

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-cases-gunvault-biometric-safe-1.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=734827&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=CD71D0CB-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
There was a home invasion ~2 miles away from where I live. Normal middle-class neighborhood, 63 year old guy gets a knock on the door and when he answers it he gets a gun stuck in his face. The 63 year old had guns in the house, and the only difference that made was that the thief stole them, along with electronics, cash and jewelry. Short of a Katrina-style societal breakdown, there's practically zero chance of you defending your home in massive Hollywood-style shootout.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
There was a home invasion ~2 miles away from where I live. Normal middle-class neighborhood, 63 year old guy gets a knock on the door and when he answers it he gets a gun stuck in his face. The 63 year old had guns in the house, and the only difference that made was that the thief stole them, along with electronics, cash and jewelry. Short of a Katrina-style societal breakdown, there's practically zero chance of you defending your home in massive Hollywood-style shootout.
I find giving them a nickel or half a bag of Doritos works wonders.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So the fact that cocaine is illegal doesnt stop a single person from buying it?
Making things illegal makes a drastic difference.
Imagine cocaine being sold out of a store... U actually believe this isnt gonna raise the number of users exponentially?.
It has already been shown that grade school kids can get a hold of pot much more easily than they can alcohol, so your arguement has some holes in it.

The fact that your goverment is too busy waving its dick around in the middle east in stead of focussing on all the bull**** thats going on in the US could well have something to do with all this, but i guess billions of dollars in oil are a lot more important then keeping your country safe for its people...

Sure better counter measures would make a small difference, but its far from 100% safe and even further from a soceity where most people would like to live in.
I'm not condning the wars in any way, but you think that we actually MADE money on the wars? Where is this billions of dollars in oil you speak of? You think that we get our oil from the middle east? No... YOU get much more of if from there than we do. The majority of our oil comes from Canada. And we have spent WAY more on the war than Iraq has exported in oil... and as I said, almost NONE of that oil goes to us. So in essence maybe YOU are the one that is benefiting from the war more than US citizens and the US Govt are.

So please stop making blanket generalizations and re-spewing quasi-facts that you heard from the internet conspiracy nuts.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
'nuff said. Talk to me when you're riding the number 7 train from Queens to Manhattan and you have to sit next to the homeless crazy guy ranting and raving about how all of his problems are the fault of the "fvcking cvnts of the world" and then get back to me about reasonable gun control.

I personally think every gun should be embedded with an RFID chip somewhere completely inaccessible, and the original purchaser of the weapon is 100% responsible for any and all crimes that that weapon is ever used for. If you want to own a gun, you'd better have a fail-safe way of keeping it out of the hands of criminals. It would eliminate straw-buyers and hopefully curb some of the rampant gun violence that plagues our cities.

Oh, that's right, the NRA would flip out and never go for it. Never mind.

If someone steals your car and runs over a little old lady, are you responsible?

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
The only reason the gunman was the only person killed is due to the fact the he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He failed to hit the school board guy who was sitting, max 15 feet away, strait in front of him.
Ironically if he'd taken some training courses to learn how to use his weapon properly the death toll could have been quite a bit higher.

Alls well if everyone has the right to bear arms but doesn't know how to use them.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok Im convinced.
Letting everyone and their mom own a gun makes a country a lot safer, ofcourse I could have known by just looking at how the US is doing.

Im such a dumbass.
I think it's Switzerland where nearly every home has a gun in it (there is also mandatory military service for all citizens, so they all know how to use the guns). Violent crime there is all but non-existent.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok Im convinced.
Letting everyone and their mom own a gun makes a country a lot safer, ofcourse I could have known by just looking at how the US is doing.

How is the US doing?

Im not one of these gun nuts, but this is one of those issues where people tend to react viscerally rather than rationally (on both sides).

Simple numbers... Despite population growth of 100+ million since the 1960s, there are roughly the same number of murders overall each year now, as then. That's a huge drop percentage wise:

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

And around half of these murders are committed with firearms:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

So, despite all the uproar, the problem isn't worsening, it's been in decline since the 80s. A person is far more likely to die from something else, and is just as likely to be murdered by other means as with a firearm if they are going to be killed. Do we simply assume that murder rates would be cut in half if firearms were outlawed? Would outlawing guns magically make all the guns out there disappear? Or just the ones legally owned and accounted for?

Are there costs to living in a society which allows private gun ownership? Yes, clearly.

But do these costs outweigh the benefits? What benefits?

What is piece of mind worth?
What is a 'right' worth?
How many people DONT get murdered, or how many are able to do good or deter other crime because they DO own a firearm?

These are unanswerable questions.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Ironically if he'd taken some training courses to learn how to use his weapon properly the death toll could have been quite a bit higher.

Alls well if everyone has the right to bear arms but doesn't know how to use them.
Personally, if da boyz in tha hood are gonna start spraying lead, I'd prefer they know how to hit sh*t. That way they are only killing them selves instead of two people who just happen to be in the parking lot when the SHTF.
:think:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – It was around 1 p.m. on Tuesday, when two armed men walked into Fly Cuts & Styles a popular barbershop at a Sacramento strip mall and opened fire.

The two patrons who were in the shop also returned fire. One of the gunmen was seen getting into a late model white sedan that sped away.

A single mother, Monique Nelson, 30-years-old, died when she was caught in the middle of the gun battle that started at the barber shop and then continued in the parking lot where she was loading her 2-year-old son into her SUV, Sheriff’s officials said Wednesday.

Her brother, Richard Nelson Jr. told ABC News 10 that his sister worked as a supervisor at their family-run bookstore at the Sacramento International Airport. Nelson plans to get custody of his sister's child

"I think it's tragic. I can't believe it; it makes me angry. I want to know what these men were doing," said Nelson. "I'm not sure why she would go to the barbershop, but I know she does go and take her son there for a haircut from time to time."

Marvin Barksdale, 20, also died after being taken to the hospital where he underwent surgery Tuesday for a chest wound, Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran said.

Witnesses told police they heard anywhere from 10 to 15 gunshots that also injured 6 other people. Investigators discovered 14 shell casings on the ground.

Thus far, there have been no motives uncovered. Police suspect the shootout was probably gang related but have made no arrests or named any suspects.
http://www.examiner.com/people-the-news-in-national/single-mother-killed-strip-mall-shootout-news-report-video

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If someone steals your car and runs over a little old lady, are you responsible?
If the sole purpose of owning a car is to run over little old ladies, sure. However, last I checked cars are primarily used for transportation and not for killing. If you purchase a product that is ONLY used for shooting people, and it gets stolen, yes, you should absolutely be held responsible.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Most homes have alcohol in them. I don't think you can say that about weed.
apparently kids are smoking more pot then they are cigarettes
More high school seniors this year used marijuana than smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days, according to government data released Tuesday.
In addition, daily marijuana use increased significantly among eighth-, 10th- and 12th-graders, with about one in 16 high school seniors using marijuana daily or near-daily, the annual "Monitoring the Future Survey" found.
http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/2010-12-14-teen-marijuana-study_N.htm

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Funny, I brought up a point regarding the violent crimes and out of the multiple quotes taken from my statement all I hear is Gun, gun, gun. What about the machete? What about knives, axes, explosives etc?

the chances of my children killing or being killed by a gun in my home are equal to that of the ones that I faced growing up in a home that had a rifle, hand gun, and shot gun. I was anti-hand gun through most of my twenties as those seem to be the years where (most) people adhere to liberal ideologies but my views have changed slightly even though iI still think hand guns serve no purpose and should probably be done away with. However, I am not anti gun.

My house has electricity, chemicals, knives, stairs and numerous other objects that pose a threat to children. If they are educated properly and are aware of the dangers that surround them,they wont totaly rely on the government to protect them. While I am not for some wild west mentality, I am sure if you had some crazy on a bus, train or wherever with a gun, you would feel more comfortable if you had one as well. This doesn't mean that I think this is an ideal society or one that I even fully support, it is just a simple
fact.

As far as being able to get to a weapon if there was such an intruder, we have a dog that barks at everything so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not saying this is ideal for ever body or every community but I certainly don't think someone else has the right to dictate how I am able to protect my family from the confines of my own home.

If you are anti-gun, don't own one, don't educate yourself on how to use one properly, but certainly don't think that people without a conscious will adhere to the same laws that you do. I hate to bring this point up because it is lame but, drinking and driving is illegal as well and, intentional or not, ask the families who have lost loved ones how well that law protected them.

This is media sensationalism at it's best and that is why people think these problems are so prevalent. A man goes nuts, walks into a building with a gun and kills nobody but himself, and people half way around the world are saying 'see how screwed up the US is'.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
it's fascinating to see, that every time this discussion comes up, the 'mericans go nuts.
i don't get it....
why is it so hard to understand, that availability of guns raises the probability that something goes wrong and people get injured or killed?
no guns - no shootings.
make it illegal to own a gun and you can take everyone who has one to jail.
let the state have the monopoly on the use of force and that's the clear line, which NOONE is allowed to step over.
there is no other country in the western hemisphere that has such massive problems with gun violence. simple question: WHY?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
back to fantasyland..
fantasy land is everywhere except in the US, at least in this case. ;)

www.neahin.org said:
America and Gun Violence

* Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence. (Coalition to Stop Gun Violence)
* The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
* American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control)
i'm always speechless, when i randomly google statistics about gun violence in the US. how come, that the average 'merican isn't sick of this sh*t?????

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
A man goes nuts, walks into a building with a gun and kills nobody but himself, and people half way around the world are saying 'see how screwed up the US is'.
Yeah sure. We never thought you were screwed up before this single isolated incident.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
how come, that the average 'merican isn't sick of this sh*t?????
This:

GUN VIOLENCE IN THE
AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY

Gun violence is a priority issue for African-Americans and other minorities.
Nearly 350,000 Americans were victims to murders, robberies, and aggravated assaults in 2003 committed by perpetrators carrying a firearm,and our minority communities are the hardest hit:
• In 2002, firearm homicide was the number one cause of death for 15-34 year old African- Americans.
• In 2002, the firearm death rate for African-Americans was over twice that of whites.
• In 2002, an African-American male under age 30 was nearly 9 times more likely to be murdered than a white male under age 30.
• In 2003, 91 percent of African-American murder victims were slain by African-American offenders.
• In 2002, African-American males accounted for 47 percent of all homicide victims, while they only account for 6 percent of the entire population.
• Firearms have become the predominant method of suicide for African-Americans aged 10-19 years, accounting for 64 percent of suicides in 2002.
• In Florida, African-American males have an almost eight times greater chance of dying in a firearm-related homicide than white males. In addition, the firearm-related homicide death rate for African-American females is greater than white males and over four times greater than white females.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
You people just dont seem to get it do you?
Kids smoking pot over cigarettes only proves smoking pot is cooler then smoking cigarettes.
Comparing Swiss soceity with the US? Apples and oranges.
States with strict gun laws still have high numbers of shootings? Not every state has the same demographic population and living situations vary widely.
Im hearing very invalid arguments here, Id think youd come up with something better so we have something to talk about... :D

You have to look beyond these superficial examples and see the core of the situation.
A soceity does not in most cases, and especially in the case of the US of A, get safer with more guns.
Like someone else allready pointed out, Fantasy land is everywhere except the US.

I have explained myself before so I wont keep repeating myself if nobody actually wants to hear about it.
Its kinda like arguing about evolution with the Pope. :rofl:

But do these costs outweigh the benefits? What benefits?

What is piece of mind worth?
What is a 'right' worth?
How many people DONT get murdered, or how many are able to do good or deter other crime because they DO own a firearm?

These are unanswerable questions.
These anwsers are being anwsered every day in the rest of civilization.
And the numbers dont lie.

Fact of the matter is, if someone doesnt have easy acces to a gun, he is less likely to shoot someone.
Will it prevent every shooting ever? Ofcourse not.
Will it prevent a ****load of shootings given the large number the US is dealing with? Hell yes it will!

Ok Im done now. Rant over :)

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
The United Stated of America would not even exist if it wasn't for the populace owning guns.
Ever heard of the American revolution? Bad guys aren't the only enemies, a Tyrannical Government is another..
I know that none of you guys in the EU will ever understand. You already gave your own sovereignty away, what's a few guns?..
We here in America do not take well to being oppressed. It's why our constitution was written in the first place. The way it was written.
The 2nd Amendment is only one part, but without it none of the other Amendments matter.
You people have been brainwashed for too long over there..
"Nothing keeps a government more honest that an armed citizenry".Benjamin franklin.

CRIMINALS DO NOT RESPECT GUN LAWS!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
CRIMINALS DO NOT RESPECT GUN LAWS!!
The laws of supply and demand apply to guns just like any other commodity in the market. You limit the supply there will still be an effect and it won't be to increase gun crime.

States with strict gun laws still have high numbers of shootings
Like NYC, notorious for crime - formerly one of the most violent in America. This past decade NYC has trended down the lowest murder rates since they started keeping stats on crime in the city - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/nyregion/31murder.html?_r=1

Guns in citizen's hand did not (and would not) make NYC safer in the years prior to gun control in the city.

Thomas A. Reppetto, a law enforcement historian and former president of the Citizens Crime Commission, a group that monitors police policies in New York, attributed the change in Manhattan’s position to more than a decade of rigorous enforcement by the police and prosecutors, and to demographic changes that have brought fresh investment and stability to some neighborhoods.

Last edited: