Quantcast

School me on adventure cycling.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am considering doing some adventure cycling racing in the near future. It seems there are alot of surlys and one off Ti frames being used in the sport. I been snooping around the topic enough to see the gear used is fairly different such as bar configs and frame bags and mostly hardtails.

what say you? any subject matter experts in the room?

I am researching doing the divide race and maybe some trans mountain touring.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The touring sounds more interesting than the race. I find that racing gets old quick. The riding doesn't, especially if you can manage to get lost.
For some reason I need the racing aspect in order to motivate myself. I will assume that the racing part will in fact one day diminish and I will be happy just riding my bike. But until then I will use the time I have to be competitive only for my own benefit.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Check out the jones H bars, I think titec makes an AL version that are more affordable, lots and lots of hand positions

As far as gear goes, get yourself a bivy and forgo the tent. Get yourself a neo air from therma rest, or a Q core from big agnes. There's a few ultralite bags in the 2lb 20 degree range as well. If you're going to do hot food (most adventure racers do not) get yourself a jetboil, they are a little heavy, but you save the weight in having to carry less fuel very quickly. For water treatment, I've been using chlorine dioxide for about a year now, it's like the iodine, with a tap water taste instead of iodine taste. The only issue with that is it takes 4 hours to kill bacteria, so what I do when backpacking is I have my water for the day then I treat tomorrows while I sleep.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I raced in the Tour Divide last year, proto Lynskey frame with rigid fork and custom Revelate bags.

Considering the Colorado Trail Race next year, just concentrating on the 100 mile NUE races this year.