Quantcast

School me on droppers?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Does anyone have any experience with budget droppers, stuff around $100 or under $200 anyways? Looking at picking up maybe a TranzX or KS for our fat bikes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does anyone have any experience with budget droppers, stuff around $100 or under $200 anyways? Looking at picking up maybe a TranzX or KS for our fat bikes.
I have heard good things about One-up's V2 ($200) reliability. I have a bontrager line elite dropper which is functionally identical. I had issues with seat wobble but disassembly was a breeze and it turned out that by flipping the keys, I was able to reduce the wobble to "acceptable" levels. The only other issue I faced was that it is occasionally stiff at the first drop. Once through this initial "stiction", it's smooth and easy. I imagine that it will get smoother with break-in, and the keys are like $4 if I decide to replace them.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
for cold weather I would give bikeyoke a try they use a hydraulic oil formulated to work better in cold weather, for budget oneUP thats my standard answer for droppers at any price point.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I got a PNW Cascade post for my fat bike (no internal routing option on my Rocky), I used it a bunch of times in the cold and it did well.

They seem to have a pretty good dealing with warranty too, should it come to that.

Its pretty cheap and came with a tiny bit of wiggle right out of the box, but it feels solid in hand and on the bike. The PNW lever I purchased also feels very nice.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
my scott spark didn't have internal routing as an option, until i used a drill to add that option.
The external routing of the post was so easy and simple to setup, compared to every other internal post I've had to do. On this bike, I think I prefer it this way..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hell, I took a dropper on the Iditarod. Maybe I shouldn't have. But I did.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey all, does anyone know if you can buy a 2nd AXS remote for a 2nd bike, and move the dropper between bikes?
Kurt
I think you may need to re-pair to the second remote, but I believe it's a multi-second job. You hold the button on the post, hold the button on the new remote, then like press it again or something. Not sure if you can pair multiple levers to the same post, you may need a different device for that, like a blipbox or whatever.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
How do you like the axs?
It's really good. No complaints, works reliably. 2 things to be mindful of - don't forget to charge it (duh, but I am that kind of guy), and it might be a little more sensitive to torque at the seatpost binder. I owned 2 droppers prior, and I don't think reduced action due to over torquing was an issue. I use a torque wrench now... no problems.

Kurt

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why? Do people enjoy changing capacitors and cleaning switches?
I will admit that I did enjoy giving the tuner dial a good spin and watching the needle carry on moving after letting go.
My parents had a JVC from the 80s, it wasn't super flash but it still all works and was quite nice to use.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Why? Do people enjoy changing capacitors and cleaning switches?
I will admit that I did enjoy giving the tuner dial a good spin and watching the needle carry on moving after letting go.
My parents had a JVC from the 80s, it wasn't super flash but it still all works and was quite nice to use.
Yes. They enjoy it like we enjoy changing pads and bleeding lol.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bikeyoke.
Bikeyoke or Wolftooth, and they are both real similar (I think WT may have copied part of their design). Don't be tempted by a cheap Transfer. I have a broken one I'll give you for even cheaper.