Quantcast

School me on droppers?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm having trouble with my thomson and the cost of a rebuild is the same as a brand new PNW post. Upgrading/replacing would probably allow me to swap for a bigger drop too.

What's good out there? Anything cheap and effective? I spend max dollars on what was supposed to be a great post, and it kind of blows- I'd rather spend min dollars and just buy a second one when it fails

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i like my old school e13 mechanical spring boinger TRS+ droppers, as they are fully user serviceable, 5 year warranty, work in the winter, come with a nice remote, and are now discontinued.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
man, everybody likes that one but it's so expensive...

Sorry, I got it on a used bike so I have no idea how much they cost. I had a Reverb and a 9point8 and no matter how much the price was, the cost was much higher in constant rebuilds.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry, I got it on a used bike so I have no idea how much they cost. I had a Reverb and a 9point8 and no matter how much the price was, the cost was much higher in constant rebuilds.
they are north of $400, however by all reliable accounts i've heard its pretty much the gold standard of droppers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
they are north of $400, however by all reliable accounts i've heard its pretty much the gold standard of droppers.

The tactile feel of both the lever and the post are really nice. That can be the difference between me liking or loving something. I was a little disappointed when my father threw away his 70s era Pioneer stereo receiver. The heavy machined stainless steel switches and dials on that thing had the most satisfying feel.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
The tactile feel of both the lever and the post are really nice. That can be the difference between me liking or loving something. I was a little disappointed when my father threw away his 70s era Pioneer stereo receiver. The heavy machined stainless steel switches and dials on that thing had the most satisfying feel.
Oh my god yes, the switches and rotary dials on my parents' Pioneer amp were absolutely glorious!

My LBS has only good things to say about the OneUp dropper – but you do need to pop some grease in there from time to time. It has a super low stack height, so you can probably get more drop. I have no personal experience though – my Reverb just keeps on working...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I'm still rocking the 2 Revives, one that was part of the original kickstarter, I dunno, at least 5 years ago? I've rebuilt it once, have another kit for it. It did get a little creaky at the clamp, if there's water it starts making noise, but there's an upgrade service if I send it in supposedly. The action is nice, that's kind of the worst part, because after you use it, it makes every other post feel like poop, like they are filled with chunky peanut butter or something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, I'm still rocking the 2 Revives, one that was part of the original kickstarter, I dunno, at least 5 years ago? I've rebuilt it once, have another kit for it. It did get a little creaky at the clamp, if there's water it starts making noise, but there's an upgrade service if I send it in supposedly. The action is nice, that's kind of the worst part, because after you use it, it makes every other post feel like poop, like they are filled with chunky peanut butter or something.
i was looking at them last night, it does sound like the first version can be upgraded to the rev 2 internals

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Stuff I've used a bunch:

• Fox Transfer: Most bulletproof of anything I've ever tried, but kind of a PITA/expensive to rebuild. The seat clamp on the 2021 updated version is beyond genius. Only matters when you're installing it or swapping seats, but 10/10 brilliant. 175mm max drop is a bit less than some of the other options.
  • OneUp: Cheap and works fine, but sort of sticky and not the best tactile feel. Greasing it is super quick and easy, but you gotta do it. Super short stack height, if you're trying to eke the most drop out of the least real estate. Replacement cartridges are cheap, but I don't love the disposable nature of them.
  • PNW Rainier: Works well, and smoother than the OneUp, but heavy and same pros/cons to the cartridge system.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The seat clamp on the 2021 updated version is beyond genius. Only matters when you're installing it or swapping seats, but 10/10 brilliant.
care to elaborate? i get what you mean its one of those things you kind of set it and forget it, so it doesn't always get a lot of love. just curious what makes it stand out

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
care to elaborate? i get what you mean its one of those things you kind of set it and forget it, so it doesn't always get a lot of love. just curious what makes it stand out
Don't know if this is the reason, but it looks like the bolts can't fall out and roll away to an unfindable spot. That's a win right there. Juggling the clamps and bolts on some posts is infuriating.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The first thing is that the bolts are just spaced farther from the shaft than average, so they're easier to turn than most, especially with a multitool.

The big difference though is the hardware. The upper clamp is slotted, so that the bolts can slide into it, rather than having to be fed through. That's normal enough, but where it gets genius is that instead of threading into a barrel nut that sits on top of the upper clamp, they're custom bolts with a ball end that thread into the black barrels in the shaft. You just assemble the two halves of the clamp on the seat rails, flip the bolts into place through the slots, and tighten them down. It's so much less fiddly and annoying.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The first thing is that the bolts are just spaced farther from the shaft than average, so they're easier to turn than most, especially with a multitool.
right here you missed a perfect opportunity to use

1603220544951.png

The big difference though is the hardware. The upper clamp is slotted, so that the bolts can slide into it, rather than having to be fed through. That's normal enough, but where it gets genius is that instead of threading into a barrel nut that sits on top of the upper clamp, they're custom bolts with a ball end that thread into the black barrels in the shaft. You just assemble the two halves of the clamp on the seat rails, flip the bolts into place through the slots, and tighten them down. It's so much less fiddly and annoying.

that all actually sounds awesome. really good attention to detail.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OneUp: Cheap and works fine, but sort of sticky and not the best tactile feel. Greasing it is super quick and easy, but you gotta do it. Super short stack height, if you're trying to eke the most drop out of the least real estate. Replacement cartridges are cheap, but I don't love the disposable nature of them.
Nailed it. Service is pretty simple if you're reasonably handy with a wrench.

Also, I really like the fact that my OneUp has 210mm of travel. Tough to go back to something shorter. (I'm 6'1" or so with pretty long legs. I like full leg extension for climbing but a slammed seat for descents, and was never totally happy before.)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks for the tips guys, surprisingly free of memes and inside jokes.

Sounds like the PNW or oneup might be appealing. I suppose I should fill out the RMA form and see what Thomson will do for me, worst case is they want $170 to fix it and I live with it or sell it as-is and see if somebody else can live with it.

I've been offered a Bontrager Line Elite post...170mm and 31.6 with remote, just what I want, and I think it'll fit, too. I can't find much about it, I suppose that's a good thing? Any experience out there?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Sounds like the PNW or oneup might be appealing. I suppose I should fill out the RMA form and see what Thomson will do for me, worst case is they want $170 to fix it and I live with it or sell it as-is and see if somebody else can live with it.

I've been offered a Bontrager Line Elite post...170mm and 31.6 with remote, just what I want, and I think it'll fit, too. I can't find much about it, I suppose that's a good thing? Any experience out there?
well when you don't act like a total assclown we're happy to help (note to self, follow own advice)

the only non-trek reviews i can find of that bontrager post are a 2 year old NSMB review which doesn't find any real faults, but MTBR doesn't like it. 1.8 / 5 stars. but its mtbr

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will also thank you for posting this in the correct forum.
You are right, I just don't know who actually visits this forum vs the DH one, and most people posting here post in both...oh well

@jonKranked
the "Drop Line" and "Line Elite" are different, though I'm not 100% on how.

Good reviews on trek bikes.com, but ???? It has the right length and drop length, but I don't want more problems. I can live with my thomson, it's just annoying

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You are right, I just don't know who actually visits this forum vs the DH one, and most people posting here post in both...oh well

@jonKranked
the "Drop Line" and "Line Elite" are different, though I'm not 100% on how.

Good reviews on trek bikes.com, but ???? It has the right length and drop length, but I don't want more problems. I can live with my thomson, it's just annoying
it was a quick google. didn't know there were diff models.

you want annoying? i'm still running a JOPLIN

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The PNW is cheap. I can't say much more, it works, the action was nearly as good as my Revive, but quickly degraded. It also developed a ton of play pretty fast (couple months), more than my Revives that are years and years old. For the price though, you can damn near throw it away. I bought it as an emergency measure after blowing out my knee due to getting on and off the bike in deep snow.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've been on the v1 oneup for a few years. it's developed a tiny bit of play, but other than having to remove the collar every few months and grease it, it's been flawless. would get the v2 for sure if i was looking right now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Says the guy with the $800 post
Yeah but it has bluetooth, Blue.......Toooooth!
My frame was made assuming I'd always be running a Magura Vyron, but, our distributor has no mechanical ability so it is send to to the motherland for repair.
Turns out I also have no mechanical ability as I crushed the motor's wires and rendered it useless, so I have a dentist post. It is better than the Magura but I miss the off switch as it goes flat if you never take your bike out of the car, then you have to take the battery out to charge it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For what its worth, I got a PNW Rainier back at thr beginning of the season and have been super happy with it. No issues, functioned flawlessly since day 1, and not ridiculously heavy. Only set me back $200 w/ lever, which felt like a bargain.

10/10 would buy again.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
i've been on the v1 oneup for a few years. it's developed a tiny bit of play, but other than having to remove the collar every few months and grease it, it's been flawless. would get the v2 for sure if i was looking right now.
I have a V1 also. Other than the quick lube when it slows down it has been very reliable. Hell of a lot of post for the $160 I paid for it. I definitely would recommend for the money.

That said if money wasn't a concern I would buy a BikeYoke. A friend has a Revive and the lever feel and smoothness is unreal. Eventually the Oneup will get moved to my daughter's bike and it will be replaced by a Revive.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I spranged for the bontrager as it's exactly the right size and should fit my frame with maximum drop. I have no doubts that the bikeyoke is the best, but fuck buying a $400 seapost a second time.

If the bontrager doesn't work out, at least it comes with a better lever than the stupid thomson.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's still kicking... just relegated to hardtail duty, as I needed 200mm drop for my fully.
ah gotcha. i have a second one sitting in a box for a future build. the one on my megatrail is the 150mm version / 4 position. when they launched they 170 version it went to 3 position.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
3 position would be fine for me, but frankly the post is nearly always slammed or in climb setting (all the way up or all the way down). I have meniscus issues that mean seated pedaling is terrible if the post isn't at proper full extension.

I occasionally use an in-between setting for either rolling XC sections where I'm going to pop a few rollers or super technical climbs where a wheelspin, missed dab, or tip over would result in falling off a cliff.
But even for those situations, I prefer the positive and stable in-between height of the E.13 rather than wasting seconds fiddling around getting it "just right" with an infinite position post like the OneUp.

Next time I need to buy a post, a mechanical like the E.13 will be at the top of my list.

ah gotcha. i have a second one sitting in a box for a future build. the one on my megatrail is the 150mm version / 4 position. when they launched they 170 version it went to 3 position.

Last edited: