Quantcast

Schooling Needed - Upper Crown Height

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Can you all please school me on the tall versus short crown for a fork? I am 6'4" currently with a short crown and I can't help to think (been thinking for a while now) with my height, I would benefit from a taller upper crown and a spacer pushing the CL of bar up. The lastest pics I've seen of the Syndicate bikes have what looks like a 30 to 40 mm spacer between the crown and headset, I assume Peaty runs this as he's almost as tall as me.

Please provide some schoolization on the property geometry. Would a higher CL be better for someone my height. Pos/negs of each?

Thanks in advance.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Check out this video:http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Pro-Rider-Setup-Duncan-Riffles-DH-Bar-Height,2250/Slideshow,18262/sspomer,2

It comes down to personal preference, I'm 6'4" and run a tall crown with some spacers underneath to get my bar height at a level where my neck isn't kinked..
In the first picture... is it just me or does that top crown look carbon? In the 5th and 5th photos it looks normal, but in the first there is a funny shading to it that gives it a "texture"...

Last edited:

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Im 6'0 and I run at least a 10 mm spacer underneath. It all comes down to personal preference, but at that height, I'd be runn ing 30 or 40 like the syndicate does, it only makes sense.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Bar rise and length, stem length, headtube length, type of headset and amount of fork sag also contribute, if that isn't obvious.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
It really depends on what bars you run, the size of your headtube and the stack height of your headset. And of course this 'personal preference' thing we keep hearing about. Anyways, I'm 6'5" and run as many spacers under my crown as I can!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
6'2'', long torso/ upper body, 6'4'' wingspan

120mm headtube w/ zero stack headset

6 deg rise integrated stem

15mm rise bars

30mm spacers