Quantcast

Schools in BC

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
Hey Im sophomore at Clemson university down in South Carolina, but I was looking to study abroad next year. I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools to look at in BC. Riding is a pretty big factor too, so schools close to good riding would be nice too. So far Ive checked out UBC, UVic and UCFV online. Also what semester would be best, fall or spring. I have no idea what the riding season is like there. Thanks.

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
There is also Simon Frasier University in Vancouver too. Its relatively close to the Shore trails. You can ride all year, as long as you don't mind cold and occasional snow at higher elevation. Best riding is late spring and early fall, but as long as you can put up with rain, you can ride most any time. Bring your sticky tires...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
There's also Simon Fraser University. The PNW is pretty rainy, but there's usually a couple dry months in the summer, and occasionally at other times.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Im currently in my first year at UBC... i really like it so far. If your interested in urban or trials the campus has some really fun stuff. You can also get downtown in about 30 minutes on the bus and every friday night there is an urban ride... theres basically everything you could imagine there. There are also dirt jumps a few miles from ubc that take about 30 minutes to get to by bus. The shore is a ways away if you dont have your own car but its lots of fun... it takes maybe an hour and a half to get to seymour or fromme by bus. UBC also has a cycling club with shore rides most weekends and various other stuff... tomorrow morning im leaving on a whistler trip with them. Overall the riding is great, but if you want to ride some dh/fr trails it can take some time to get there. If youve got any questions let me know...
For more bc info you can check out nsmb.com and maybe the UBC thread - http://bb.nsmb.com/newforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46149

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I went to UVic and it was a great school! The riding is somewhat limited, but if you have a car you can travel up island for the good stuff. Also, Victoria is a great city..not too big or small.

I'd recommend UBC if you want the big city life and access to the shore. There's lots of riding in Vancouver, Maple Ridge, Abbotsford, etc. And being on the mainland gives you Squamish, Whistler, Kamloops, etc, which are all only a few hours away.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
Yeah UBC looked pretty big, which could be cool just to try something new. Clemson is about the same size of UVic I think. Clemson is about 16,000 undergrade and the town is around 10k I think. I probably wont have a car, it would be a long drive and I doubt I would want to do it by myself. Thanks, Ill probably try and get some more info on UBC and UVic.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Sideshow Bob said:
Did you check tuition prices? Last I looked, int'l students were paying something like $18K/yr at UBC (!).
Thats true... but its not that bad when you consider the exchange rate and the price of most us schools... overall it still is cheaper than many of them.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
Yeah Ill only be there a semester, so it shouldnt be too bad. Im playing like $19k at Clemson and thats like $23k canadian. So if I end up paying like UBC's or UVic's tuition it could be a good bit less then Clemson.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
Which school would be better for riding, UBC or UVic. I think Im going to try to pick between those two schools to study at. May not be able to go to UBC since Clemson doesnt have an exchange partnership with them. So hopefully UVic is still good.