So I figured I'd post here on them

Slash
Magic Mary super soft trail pro front 29"
26psi
Before: Mm super soft trails star 22-23 psi

Magic Mary soft gravity pro rear 27.5
29psi
Before: tacky chan super gravity soft 24 psi

So I ran 4-5psi higher than normal apparently the way they roll it works better.

Initial impression:
Rocks: Super dead it nasty chatter, man these things remind me of maxxis 40d slow reezay...they literally make hard charging easy..the tire doesn't get kicked around and balloon bounce at all even at higher pressure ..

Climbing: I did notice it here a little , it seemed to have slightly more rolling resistance. But then that could be riding a magic Mary rear and not the chan..(the chan is my favorite rear tire)...
On rocks in climbing it didn't kick tire left and a right when going uphill almost unloaded , it seemed to stick and roll which made that part more predictable and easier...

For xc I would not run these, for aggressive all mountain to downhill I would...these are decent on climbs and I will say it without fanboyism, they will destroy downhill tracks and rocks.. they were so overly stupid predictable and knocked off a whole top layer of chatter and kick from tires..

First rock pile I was "oh yeah!". But I'm skeptical, so I waited to second longer rock pile . Yeah they are badass...

Im hoping Chan comes out in the radial, for the rear..I have the albert on the rear of the nomad so I'll see how it does rolling wise...

At higher pressure they destroy my other tires in rocks and handling.. way more in control and absorb shit...

Pros:
Fast as hell on rocks
Stable
Dont bounce and deflect off stuff fast
Very numb to high energy input
Corner extremely well even on flat they comply
QUIET

Cons:
Seem to take up a bit more energy upbhill
(This could be ibeas running a Mary rear which has more rolling resistance than the chan)
Take a little of the top of a jump, damped feel
Due to higher pressure they don't footprint on sandy spots as well as a lower psi tire but wider front would handle that.

This is initial first ride comparison and it's a damn good improvement in tires hands down ..
20240925_185148.jpg
20240924_154738.jpg
20240924_155330.jpg
20240924_155400.jpg
20240924_155425.jpg
20240924_155410.jpg
20240924_175747.jpg
20240924_175735.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm interested to try them on my XC bike, at least on my training/normal wheelset.
If your not being a smart ass !!lol

I'll add this to above, I think the Albert has better rolling characteristics than the Mary so it'll probably be better for uphill ..
Any bike going down rocks and crap will benefit from them, they are that good from a dh perspective and Enduro...

Mary's have always had drag on a climb even when they were muddy Marys..I've been on the chan's for a while now so I'm used to the rear and how they dig and bite ..you tell em what to do and they execute with prejudice...great rear tire...

If you went 30 psi you wouldn't be kicking yourself at all, they absorb hits due to carcass so they will still absorb and be effective..

But I still think you'll feel some drag...I like em for training I'm all about power and grind ..but it's not efficient...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
If I wanted to try this in something as similar to a Minion DHF/DHR combo (2.5/2.4”) what models would I be looking at? No concern re rolling resistance. TIA

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If your not being a smart ass !!lol

I'll add this to above, I think the Albert has better rolling characteristics than the Mary so it'll probably be better for uphill ..
Any bike going down rocks and crap will benefit from them, they are that good from a dh perspective and Enduro...

Mary's have always had drag on a climb even when they were muddy Marys..I've been on the chan's for a while now so I'm used to the rear and how they dig and bite ..you tell em what to do and they execute with prejudice...great rear tire...

If you went 30 psi you wouldn't be kicking yourself at all, they absorb hits due to carcass so they will still absorb and be effective..

But I still think you'll feel some drag...I like em for training I'm all about power and grind ..but it's not efficient...
I'm all set for DH/enduro tires for a while, got a fresh set of trail tires and my DDs with little wear. So I'd be interested to try them in the "trail/downcunty" realm.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If I wanted to try this in something as similar to a Minion DHF/DHR combo (2.5/2.4”) what models would I be looking at? No concern re rolling resistance. TIA
In radials I'd go Albert rear Mary front ..for pedalling ..for all out I like Mary front and rear...that's coming off dhf years ago ..still tried a slew of tires and for me these are spot on

For non radial chan rear Mary front (haven't ran a chan front yet so I can't comment on it)

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm all set for DH/enduro tires for a while, got a fresh set of trail tires and my DDs with little wear. So I'd be interested to try them in the "trail/downcunty" realm.
I'm pretty sure the Albert will destroy the Mary on climbs...it's got low lug path...

I think they will kick ass for that, just expect a slight bit of resistance on them ..I'm sure it was just the lugs of the Mary I was contending with uphill rear...
But just being overly cautious and honest ..it's not bad...

I haven't ride the Albert on a trail yet so I can comment on efficiency up hill...I will tomorrow...

I did lift and HIIT 2 times yesterday and squatted on both sessions and went for a cardio ride.. then blew my legs up today with lunges and wall balls and another HIIT session...so I might just be completely bitchy and slow from that...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
In radials I'd go Albert rear Mary front ..for pedalling ..for all out I like Mary front and rear...that's coming off dhf years ago ..still tried a slew of tires and for me these are spot on

For non radial chan rear Mary front (haven't ran a chan front yet so I can't comment on it)
Have you tried the Shredda? That one is tempting as well

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Have you tried the Shredda? That one is tempting as well
I haven't , for here I think the lugs are too tall .they are supposedly 2mm taller than the dirty Dan's...I used to cut the center lugs down on Dan's and use them for medium loam...middle would pedals and grip the side lugs would rip the living shit out of everything they came in contact with ..

I'll have to order a set and see, they are specific so no trimming really needed...

I'll have a use for em in the winter when we head to Idaho...I don't like that they are ultra soft front and rear but also they are DH specific and shit terrain designed so it makes sense...not a pedalling tire and that solidifies it lol ..

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Surely someone's done it before and just didn't make a big deal about it?

View attachment 219023
Guess they should have!! Lol

These tires are not like their others ..way more compliant and controlled...probably one of the best upgrades I've seen come out in a long time...hitting stuff and curbs in could feel and hear a difference, but that's not real world ..gave me an idea of what they characteristics of the tire was did some cone cornering to feel the dip and shoulders in pavement..

When I hit the trail today you could tell a difference right away not massive, as soon as I hit the first rock garden it was huge...