Quantcast

schwalbe table top vs. k-rad / holy roller

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
is the table top as grippy in the dirt as the k-rad and holy roller?

i want some lighter tires and am thinking of a table top rear; kenda sb8 in the front. (dirt only).

thx!
-rob

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I am interested in how the tire is in the park on crete and wood as well. Anyone out there use them in both applications?

Currently running k-rads and they work great in both. But the table top has a good amunt of weight savings...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I like the Tabletop as a front... but I'm not a dirt only guy.
just as grippy as a DMR Moto R/T I had up there before.

I think I remember Grom-dom had that combo, SB8 up front and TT out back, and he must have had the smaller SB8 up front because it looked a little goofy with the high volume drag tire out back and the little skinny up front, haha.
I've been running SB8's (2.1r/2.35f) on my SS'er and I dig'em, but they really do have THIN sidewalls...

I'm sticking with my 24 TT up front and FS100 out back. dead money for the riding I do.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
hmm i have a 2.3 krad. maybe i could try 1.95 krad rear and sb8 2.1 in front. yeah, i would be worried about pinchflats with the sb8 in rear.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
The table top is not lighter than a Krad. Definitely not double the price lighter.

http://www.rushextremesports.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b112s449p3239
Table Top
Size: 26" x 2.25"
Weight: app 750g

http://www.rei.com/product/737792
Weight 750 grams
Dimensions 26 x 2.3

That is a cheaper wire bead Table Top that is only sold in Europe, only one available in North America is the Kevlar bead, at ~550g for the 26". My 24" weighs in at 480g on my scale, and it was listed as 500g on the box.
Big weight difference between the tire you were looking at and the version most people are running.

What size wheels are you running rpet?
That combo you just listed could be a nice set-up, with the more durable k-rad out back to take the hits...

But if you were running 24's you could go with a Primo Dirt Monster out back. I just picked one up around the holidays and I haven't put much ride time on it yet, but it's actually a nice size, similar tread to the TT/krad/Moto R/t etc. Then maybe rock a CompIII up front for the extra grip... They are pretty light too, not to mention cheap and easy to find.
Or if you are rocking the 26", look for the new Intense Micro-knobbies! look sick for fast dirt!

Good luck finding a TableTop in North America right now too... lucky I got mine early on I guess.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm 26" so I think I might try this combo.
Anyone happen to know the weight diff between a 2.3 Krad and a 2.1?

Shoot, maybe i'll try the 1.95 Krad with 1.95 or 2.1 SM8.

I'm always wondering why BMXers run smaller tires than 26" DJ bikes. Seems like a wider-diameter tire would let big wheels get away with skinnier tires since the contact patch (traction) would be larger than 20".

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I like the Tabletop as a front... but I'm not a dirt only guy.
just as grippy as a DMR Moto R/T I had up there before.

I think I remember Grom-dom had that combo, SB8 up front and TT out back, and he must have had the smaller SB8 up front because it looked a little goofy with the high volume drag tire out back and the little skinny up front, haha.
I've been running SB8's (2.1r/2.35f) on my SS'er and I dig'em, but they really do have THIN sidewalls...

I'm sticking with my 24 TT up front and FS100 out back. dead money for the riding I do.
as am I untill tomorrow when the khe deuce quads roll into town. Will post weights of all the 24in tires I have in my possession as well as widths

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
the schwalbe's are deffinately lighter. you will save alot of weight with the table tops.

here is some spam
i have some 2 schwalbe tabletop 26" for sale that you can try. i only used them for 1 month. i switched to 24's so i have my 26's laying around. if it means anything to you, i liked them so much im buying the 24" version.
pm me if anyone is interested.

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
I would choose the TableTop - best tire at all!
There are 2 version - the low budget weights 750g@26", the other around 520g@26".
The Kenda Krad is very slippy when it's getting just a little bit wet and heavy, too. :D