Quantcast

Schwalbe tires! ????? Big Betty/Muddy Mary

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ive run minions, Kenda nevegals and BG's now Im looking to possibly give these a shot they seem to get rave reviews in Germany and apparently they are supposed to be comparable to minions and Nevegals as far as grip.
I saw the big bettys and the single plys are thicker then Kendas as well as have a cross pattern sidewall making it thicker and durable. They are a little heavier than the single ply kendas but a good thickness cross between DH casings and single plys. They use the gooey rubber on par with 40d slow reezay and stick E as well as they have a triple compound like the 3c.

Anyone have time on them?

Muddy Mary

Big Betty

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've ridden the big betty on a Scott Demo bike we have here in the shop. I'd have to say that if it were my bike the tires would be the first things I'd switch out. They just don't track as well as some Maxxis and Michy tires I've run on my own personal bikes. Similarly, I have tons of trouble getting the tire to hold a line while doing slower climbing, but this is the DH section so I don't think you're concerned with that.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I am running the muddy marrys for about a year now. I have used them in all circumstances. I used the gooey glooey for a while in the front and that tyre really sticks to everything. A friend rides it now and it still isnt worn out. And we have used that tyre for a long time doing dh runs on hardpack, mud and everything in between.

I am now running the single ply 2.5 front and single ply 2.35 rear both 3c. I have been using them for 3 months now and the first signs of wear on the rear are beginning.
They muddy marry is a true alrounder. I used them in melting snow/mud (the slipperiest stuff I have ever ridden on) and they gave sufficient control. real mud tyres could have been better on that section but further down it was hardpack again.

I used minions before these tyres, and the muddy marry's gave me a confidence boost. They rip corners very good, and have a low rolling resistance.

the german and dutch dh champion both use them in almost all conditions.

they are definetely worth a try.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I am running the muddy marrys for about a year now. I have used them in all circumstances. I used the gooey glooey for a while in the front and that tyre really sticks to everything. A friend rides it now and it still isnt worn out. And we have used that tyre for a long time doing dh runs on hardpack, mud and everything in between.

I am now running the single ply 2.5 front and single ply 2.35 rear both 3c. I have been using them for 3 months now and the first signs of wear on the rear are beginning.
They muddy marry is a true alrounder. I used them in melting snow/mud (the slipperiest stuff I have ever ridden on) and they gave sufficient control. real mud tyres could have been better on that section but further down it was hardpack again.

I used minions before these tyres, and the muddy marry's gave me a confidence boost. They rip corners very good, and have a low rolling resistance.

the german and dutch dh champion both use them in almost all conditions.

they are definetely worth a try.
Good to hear, I have a option to buy 2 sets of muddy marys. I just wanted some input though, I know they are huge in the Euro boards and UK but not so much here.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've ridden the big betty on a Scott Demo bike we have here in the shop. I'd have to say that if it were my bike the tires would be the first things I'd switch out. They just don't track as well as some Maxxis and Michy tires I've run on my own personal bikes. Similarly, I have tons of trouble getting the tire to hold a line while doing slower climbing, but this is the DH section so I don't think you're concerned with that.
I would be racing them as well, either DH casings or singles.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
by the way. I am running single ply's with stans inside the tubes.
Havent flatted, even in nasty rockgardens and such. I have a couple of dents and dings in the rim, but no flats.

Also no ripped sidewalls, I am going to use the mm on a race next week, but it is a smooth track, so no worries for ripping the sidewall.
But even in gnarly stuff with a lot of sharp stones this sidewalls stayed intact.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
The Big Betty is one of the best all around tires i've tried, works great for ghetto-tubeless too. If you're gonna put them on your jedi to race i'd go with the Muddy Marys.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...you guys might want to wait until Schwalbe comes out with the "AL MIGHTY"... looks like a High Roller (corner knobs) with staggered knobs down the center of the tread.

Should be interesting.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bully - i ran the big betty (standard compound, not gooey) for about a year on the back of my bottlerocket, including up at whistler and the shore. it was a solid tire. the sidewalls are burly for a single-ply tire. the grip was good in the back. i wasn't as much of a fan of it in the front (ran the maxxis advantage there, good combo). i liked it a bunch. and i'd say it is worth a try. after a while, the sidewalls do wear down a bit.

no history on the other tire.

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
Good to hear, I have a option to buy 2 sets of muddy marys. I just wanted some input though, I know they are huge in the Euro boards and UK but not so much here.
i personally would stay away from them, unless you get them for REALLY cheap. had a set of muddy marrys on my bike and it took like two days of riding and most of the knobs were torn off (soft compound front, tripple compound rear). seems to be a common issue, the tires were replaced by schwalbe no questions asked, but it still sucks nonetheless.
besides that, i was not so overly impressed with them, crappy pinch flat protection and less grip than the maxxis/michis i had before (and after :biggrin:) just stick with maxxis or michelin. until now, schwalbe dh tires are simply not up to par with the competition.
and btw.: if i remember right, klausmann (german dh champion, sponsored by schwalbe) crashed during a race run last season because a tire came off the rim (another common issue with schwalbe dh tires :busted:)
oh, and the al mighty is not available any more, it was replaced by muddy marry.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Big Betty is great for all round stuff. It's about 850-900g and comed in two compounds. I've only used the Gooey Glooey (sp?) super soft, and it grips like "#LL on wet roots and rocks. It feels quite solid and gives good control for agressive trail/epic stuff. For full-on gravity-riding it's not all that, because of it's mid-thick sidewalls. You'll see a few flats if your into rocks and square edges.
Also, I think it's a much better rear tire than front tire. Sideways suppot is kinda average.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I ran the 2.6" Gooey Glooey Al Mightys back in 05-06, and in for a race I complained to a friend that the front end was understeering. He gave me a 2.5" SR Minion and it was a world of a difference.

In 03 i ran the Fat Albert as a trail tyre. Really liked it until the side knobs started comming of, but that was after quite a while and after a LOT of skidding. Sidewalls got ripped too, but they fixed that later when they introduced the Snakeskin.

Never the less, the side knob issue was also shared by that same friend on his rear wheel (one of their old DH tyres).

I'm currently looking for some agro trail single ply tyres, among Hutchinson Bulldog, Michy Mountain X-Treme, and the Big Betty after it was recomended in another thread.

The biggest thing that made me loose interest in these tyres was because those companies didn't say what durometer they came in. They only had their internal stupid catchy names for it and not actual numbers. I want to know what soft/low compound/G Glooey means in fokken figures damnit.

So I'll probably end up getting me some singleply 2.35" ST Minions, or more likely the similar Blingblings.

Dunno if anything of this helped..

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I´ve had bad, bad and bad experience with Schwalbe. Sideknobs falling off and jadajada. They`ve had their chance with me. No time for crappy products. I´m sure they work fine on dry, no rocky trails, but how fun is that?
Why not just go for a well proven tire like maxxis high roller, minion or swampthing? They do the job more than well.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I think I've been spending too much time on message boards lately. I swore I made a post to this thread. Is this thread on another board somewhere?

Oh well...basically I said I want to try the Muddy Mary because it reminded me of the Tioga White Tiger that is a tire with incredible traction just about everywhere. The problem was the Tiger lost side knobs on just about every run. Seems that the Muddy Mary has a similar problem.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think I've been spending too much time on message boards lately. I swore I made a post to this thread. Is this thread on another board somewhere?

Oh well...basically I said I want to try the Muddy Mary because it reminded me of the Tioga White Tiger that is a tire with incredible traction just about everywhere. The problem was the Tiger lost side knobs on just about every run. Seems that the Muddy Mary has a similar problem.
LMAO! MTBR!
The muddy marys apparently dont have that problem as past tires did. I looked and searched with language translations :D and all and they seem to be a fair comparison to minions on several boards.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Sorry bullcrew for being such a drag, but if they´re compared to maxxis, why not just buy maxxis?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
because bullcrew is like me, he can't stand having the same products everyone else runs with success. he's searching for the holy grail and of performance and bling. the diamond in the rough.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
That's a joke, right? Or it must be Europes equivalent of the Jamaican bob sleigh team.
Wilfred van de Haterd told me 2 weeks ago he is the current dutch champion. the dutch championchips are during a belgium race. Because we dont have any mountains/hills here in the netherlands.

I dont have a problem with knobs tearing off. and neither has a friend of mine. and we used them in all kind of conditions and we werent easy on them. and I would buy them again any time, but then probably the gooey glooey compound.

just try them and see for yourself how they work.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
because bullcrew is like me, he can't stand having the same products everyone else runs with success. he's searching for the holy grail and of performance and bling. the diamond in the rough.
I want to put them on my bike and suddenly - lights from above shine down, some string orchestra music to start playing from nowhere, doves to be fluttering around and a loud booming voice from the clouds above narrating the arrival and just the shear existence of these supreme tires! :banana:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
the dutch championchips are during a belgium race. Because we dont have any mountains/hills here in the netherlands.
That's what I meant, just like they don't have snow and ice on Jamaica.. Holland in the Jamaican bob sleigh team of DH (in more sence than one I guess).

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I want to put them on my bike and suddenly - lights from above shine down, some string orchestra music to start playing from nowhere, doves to be fluttering around and a loud booming voice from the clouds above narrating the arrival and just the shear existence of these supreme tires! :banana:
That would be the voice of Alanis Morisette. Man, you're blessed!

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I know you know all this, but you're not talking about your style of riding and or the terrain; is it wet or dry where you ride? I rode with Betty's for 2 years, but I only run the in the winter, they work great on wet roots/rocks and logs.

I just took the Bettyy's off and put the Advantages on the bike today; the Betty's are not fast rollers, but they are faster than a lot of other tires you see in the winter. Stiff sidewalls and excellent traction in wet weather. The Advantages roll way faster and they track well too.

If you want a good traction tire, the Betty is an excellent choice. But if you want a tire for fast / or hard packed trails with big rocks, I'm not sure the Betty is the best choice.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looking for input on these as far as time on them and grip in loose over hard pack!

Just placed the order for UST big bettys (2), and muddy marys (4) to start the season off. Just wondering if the BB combo is better for socal type terrain or BB rear and MM up front or MM f/r or BB f/r?
I rode a muddy mary on front and the damn thing stuck to loose over hard pack but I blew up a almghty on casing a jump! :D
But like all things I prefer input and peoples thoughts on combos as I ride what i like doesnt mean its the best or fastest just what I prefer.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
there is a recall for the freeride/downhill line of schwalbe tires, didnt find it on the english version of their site, here's a babelfish translation of the german news:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http://schwalbe.de/ger/de/startseite/?gesamt=426&ID_Land=1&ID_Sprache=1&ID_Seite=24&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate
Yeah I talked to Jeff today in Canada and it was discussed. Apparantley it was a certain batch but since been taken care of and not alot of them did this it was more of a voluntary recall as a just in case situation! I give them :thumb:s up for the initiative.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yeah I talked to Jeff today in Canada and it was discussed. Apparantley it was a certain batch but since been taken care of and not alot of them did this it was more of a voluntary recall as a just in case situation! I give them :thumb:s up for the initiative.
but remember, schwalbe had problems with their knobs from the beginning on. especially with their old schwalbe space tires. i had 3 of them on my old big hit, all with ripped of knobs and one with a broken carcass. but they replaced them without problems. their customer service is top.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
but remember, schwalbe had problems with their knobs from the beginning on. especially with their old schwalbe space tires. i had 3 of them on my old big hit, all with ripped of knobs and one with a broken carcass. but they replaced them without problems. their customer service is top.
thats one of the issues thats been addressed apparently! Yeah i heard that but I also remember ripping knobs constantly of the ST maxxis tires.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
I'm using the Big Betty ooeey gooey in the front at the moment. Its a decent tire, but I only had about 6 rides on it or so and some of my knobs are starting to tear although I have't lost any yet, but it looks like one more hard ride would do it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah there were some issues early on and the early stuff but they have been moving harder into the DH market for over a year or so.
I have lugs half gone, missing and completely ripped up on my maxxis minion 3cs. My st minions used to throw knobs after 2 runs, tiogas had an issue as well. So its a problem that more then they have had. My Kendas however never threw a knob no matter how hard I beat on them big :thumb:'s up for that. However the dead spot on cornering in loose over hard was intresting. Got used to it and didnt bother me but to a newbie railing down and over it can scare them a bit. A little unplanned Kenda drifting! :D
Still good tires though and nothing but good experiences with them.

BTW: Maxxis wont replace my tires thats all shotty, or the st's that went belly up after a couple of runs!
(again not maxxis hating, great tires and perform excellent! I still like Maxxis)

My knobs (maxxis minion 3c DHF) are ripping front to back and peeling the lugs clean off so its not a braking issue! my side lugs are ripping, every one of them has a crack or dry rot look tear going through them. Im not easy on tires and corner the cr@p out of them but they are literally ready to tear off!
Doesnt bother me as of yet, Ill accomodate and when they turn to slicks then I work on my drifitng skills! :D:D:D:D Actually they are off next week but I'll keep them around!

Schwalbe has apparently been working on the problem, taking care of the customers and trys to keep a positive foot forward in the public and its customers!

Last edited:

faireycakes

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
Got myself some of the blacksharks in december, they were good for the weekend and then i proceeded to suffer from the bead stretch issue or whatever.
Once i finally gave up trying to find anything out about the recall online (stupidly searching purely black shark and not downhill or muddy mary)
The shop had heard of the problem but couldnt help me any more than telling me he had read it somehwhere: Not too helpful
Emailed the importer though and they helpfully arranged to send me out replacements two for one.
cant argue more than that. Black sharks are however not available any more.
Long story short, I cant fault schwalbe uk for customer service, four new tyres for my dead two and 4 tubes to boot.
Excellent.
Looking forward to trying these muddy mary's too, They look like they should be great for the loose that we have round here.

Anyway, forgot to add this bit.
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6757

Read something on the schwalbe site too but currently cant find it

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Hmmmm, sounds like this is a common problem for many brands.
:thumb: for Schwalbe for looking at a solution. My Maxxis 3c's are tearing knobs, but from my MX days I thought it was just a off road tyre thing.

Really looking forward to fitting some MM or BB up real soon, if my Knobby Nics are anything to go by then they are gonna rock :cheers: