Quantcast

Schwinn Varsity : comfort bike : opinions wanted

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

It's $100 and looks to be a decent newbie bike for cruising around town?

link

Questions:
1. I counted the teeth on the front ring... 44t. Does this have any relevance to my knowledge of mtb/roadies?
2. If I wanted to swap parts out in the future, can I? I mean, is a bike like this compatible with current components... like what if I wanted to put a new 2-3 ring crankset on? Does the BB come in just 2 sizes (italian/english) amongst all bikes? (my wrenching knowledge is primarily roadies)

Any other thoughts? :)

TIA!

PS: I couldn't find any info on schwinnbike.com :shrugs:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My opinion is that it sucks and you should go gargle a box of tacks just for posting that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
Questions:
1. I counted the teeth on the front ring... 44t. Does this have any relevance to my knowledge of mtb/roadies?
2. If I wanted to swap parts out in the future, can I? I mean, is a bike like this compatible with current components... like what if I wanted to put a new 2-3 ring crankset on? Does the BB come in just 2 sizes (italian/english) amongst all bikes? (my wrenching knowledge is primarily roadies)

Any other thoughts? :)

TIA!

PS: I couldn't find any info on schwinnbike.com :shrugs:
Are you serious with those questions? For a bike which comes only 1 size, I think you must be bugging about improving it.

P.S. If you really have to know, look up the size of an one piece crankset. They are of a standard width and pitch, and I believe it is 68/English.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sanjuro said:
Are you serious with those questions? For a bike which comes only 1 size, I think you must be bugging about improving it.

P.S. If you really have to know, look up the size of an one piece crankset. They are of a standard width and pitch, and I believe it is 68/English.
uhh, I am serious. I'm not going to upgrade the bike, but what if something brakes?

nonetheless, my girl needs a bike with gears for around town as well as the regular trips to the rolling mountain towns. We borrowed a friends 2000 Schwinn Moab with XT and Duke fork. Good bike and we could probably buy it from my friend for $300. However, my girl isn't a cyclist and the profile was too agressive and she's not fond of the aesthetics.

Could I put a riser on the Moab? Perhaps a sharper angle stem? Sure, but I want HER to LIKE the bike she's riding.

And I don't want to spend too much until I know she's gonna ride regularly.

That said, useful opinions still wanted :blah:

miSSionary

Chimp
Oct 7, 2005
Forget about her...You should ride it, it far exceeds your MTB ability, I think you'll have a gas on it!! Happy Trails.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
miSSionary said:
Forget about her...You should ride it, it far exceeds your MTB ability, I think you'll have a gas on it!! Happy Trails.
wow .. thats a lot to say for someone with one post :rolleyes:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I wish I could answer any of your questions ............ I don't have the knowledge.

That said, I think it's a great idea that you're getting this bike for her. I remember cruisin' around on these type bikes around the lake as a kid, and I had a blast...

Get her what she wants (as long as the front wheels aren't going to fall off).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
hooples3 said:
wow .. thats a lot to say for someone with one post :rolleyes:
He knows me. That's Cole for you. He's the guy who's dating my ex-g/f and the one who called me an "ass-pony".

miSSionary

Chimp
Oct 7, 2005
BINGO...We have a winner!! It's the "@ssPony guy coming to his own defence...No need to worry, I just thought it would be a fun introduction...HELLO CRUEL WORLD!!