Quantcast

Schwinn World Sport

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021
New member.

Looking at 1979 Schwinn World Sport 10 speed. O.K. Condition. How does it compare to a 1961 Schwinn Continental 10 Speed? Lighter, heavier? Who manufactured it? My parents bought me the Continental in 1961. I believe it had the tallest frame.

I plan to use the World Sport for general exercise. I am currently using a Raliegh 3 speed. Would like a lower gear for the hills.

People train for Tour de France and other races on our county road in Bastrop County TX.

Former bikes:
20" Schwinn my dad fixed up for my 5th birthday
24" Schwinn 1 speed medium tire
26" Schwinn 3 speed with narrow tires that I bought used my self in the 6th grade.
27" Mercier 10 speed 1970 that
TWC52clarendon 52 011112.jpg
I bought in college. A very decent bike. Eventually replaced hardware with Schimano? This was my favorite one. Lost in a house fire.

26" Raliegh 3 speed I bought about 3 years ago.

Also used a Schwinn Varsity for a short while. A real disappointment. No comparison to the Continental. I believe it had the shorter frame.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The World Sport had a lugged frame. US made in Illinois at the Paramount shop with Chinese made tubing. The Continental was a Welded frame and made in Ashtabula Ohio with proprietary Schwinn tubing. The Huret parts that came on the World sport were OK. The Diacompe centerpull brakes and levers shared on both bikes and were shit. Most folks swapped the Huret parts for Suntour Superbe components as I recall. The Grand Sport bikes were Schwinn's answer to the Raleigh Gran Sport or Raliegh Superbe. It could be used as a entry level race bike. Bike messengers in Boston would ride World Sports. The Continentals were heavy and poorly spec'd with Schwinn's house parts. Bombproof for the most part. For what you would pay to restore a World Sport or Continental you could get a decent used Paramount or a new Trek product with Modern components. The Salsa frames are pretty retro also. You get to hang whatever components you want on them. The Nitto Stems, Seatposts, and Bars on the World sport very seldom would make it on the customer's bikes as Schwinn dealers would replace them with knockoffs and hang them on Nishikis and Takaras that usually came very poorly spec'd. The World Sports also came with Sachs bottom brackets. The Aluminum brackets that held the ball bearings together would always fail and contaminate the Bottom Bracket shells. A World Sport frame is probably 35 years old. I would be leary of buying one. I specialize in Restorations. If you run into a bind I can help. Jim

Last edited:

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021
Is there a particular reason that you're looking at bikes that old?
The price is right. I could buy crap at Wallmart for the same amount (around $100) I think it will be a step up from the trusty old 3 speed.

Given that this is a forum in which (theoretically) we discuss mountain bikes and riding on them, it's not clear that you'll get any responses that could be regarded as helpful.
Is all of ridemonkey for mountain bikes, or just this section? BTW I used my Mercier10 speed on mountain trails when I lived in Northern California in the early 70's. That was way before I ever heard the term Mountain Bike.

Can you recommend a more appropriate forum for 10 speed road bikes.

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021
The World Sport had a lugged frame. US made in Illinois at the Paramount shop with Chinese made tubing. The Continental was a Welded frame and made in Ashtabula Ohio with proprietary Schwinn tubing. The Huret parts that came on the World sport were OK. The Diacompe centerpull brakes and levers shared on both bikes and were shit. Most folks swapped the Huret parts for Suntour Superbe components as I recall. The Grand Sport bikes were Schwinn's answer to the Raleigh Gran Sport or Raliegh Superbe. It could be used as a entry level race bike. Bike messengers in Boston would ride World Sports. The Continentals were heavy and poorly spec'd with Schwinn's house parts. Bombproof for the most part. For what you would pay to restore a World Sport or Continental you could get a decent used Paramount or a new Trek product with Modern components. The Salsa frames are pretty retro also. You get to hang whatever components you want on them. The Nitto Stems, Seatposts, and Bars on the World sport very seldom would make it on the customer's bikes as Schwinn dealers would replace them with knockoffs and hang them on Nishikis and Takaras that usually came very poorly spec'd. The World Sports also came with Sachs bottom brackets. The Aluminum brackets that held the ball bearings together would always fail and contaminate the Bottom Bracket shells. A World Sport frame is probably 35 years old. I would be leary of buying one. I specialize in Restorations. If you run into a bind I can help. Jim
I don't plan on doing much restoration just basic maintenance. I will not be doing a serious biking on it. Just pleasure rides on our county roads.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a old bridgestone my friend John gave me. It provides me joy. I usually only ride it around the neighborhood. I think I look badass while riding it.

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021
Bought the bike this morning $125.

Light Blue Gray frame.
2 numbers on bottom of frame:
G0285

Originally sold by Roger & Wrays Bay Village Ohio - Schwinn and Lawnboy dealer.

2 lugs on the down tube. For water canister?

Looks like original bolt on stand w/the prop part missing.

"Union" seat. Very uncomfortable.

Light rust on handlebar that is wrapped w/tubular foam like covering.

Decal on frame says made in Taiwan for Schwinn.

Suntour derailleurs and levers.

Diacombe side pull Brakes. Pretty good for side pull - they stay centered under pressure.

Sakae crankset. Made in Japan.

24" +- from center of crankset to top tube. How do I deterine frame size?

Aluminum rims. Panasonic Panarace tires. 95 PSI (I inflated to 60 PSI as that is the highest reading on my tire pressure gauge.

Did not understand "The Aluminum brackets that held the ball bearings together would always fail and contaminate the Bottom Bracket shells"
What's that? Wheel bearings, Crankset bearings?

The frame seems fine. No cracks or loose lugs.

This bike looks like it was a daily or weekend driver. Took it out for a spin. Everything works well mechanically. Frame is showing some patina and a few scrapes. It is a pleasure to ride. Will clean the mechanical's.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bought the bike this morning $125.

Light Blue Gray frame.
2 numbers on bottom of frame:
G0285

Originally sold by Roger & Wrays Bay Village Ohio - Schwinn and Lawnboy dealer.

2 lugs on the down tube. For water canister?

Looks like original bolt on stand w/the prop part missing.

"Union" seat. Very uncomfortable.

Light rust on handlebar that is wrapped w/tubular foam like covering.

Decal on frame says made in Taiwan for Schwinn.

Suntour derailleurs and levers.

Diacombe side pull Brakes. Pretty good for side pull - they stay centered under pressure.

Sakae crankset. Made in Japan.

24" +- from center of crankset to top tube. How do I deterine frame size?

Aluminum rims. Panasonic Panarace tires. 95 PSI (I inflated to 60 PSI as that is the highest reading on my tire pressure gauge.

Did not understand "The Aluminum brackets that held the ball bearings together would always fail and contaminate the Bottom Bracket shells"
What's that? Wheel bearings, Crankset bearings?

The frame seems fine. No cracks or loose lugs.

This bike looks like it was a daily or weekend driver. Took it out for a spin. Everything works well mechanically. Frame is showing some patina and a few scrapes. It is a pleasure to ride. Will clean the mechanical's.
Cage bearings in a Sakea or Sachs Bottom Bracket take your pick both equally sucky. Lugs are for a frame pump.

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021
What is "bottom bracket" Bracket sounds like part of a frame that something is attached to but I am guessing not.

The bottom bracket assembly on a bicycle connects the crankset to the bicycle and allows the crankset to rotate freely. It contains a spindle that the crankset attaches to and the bearings that allow the spindle and cranks
to rotate. The chain rings and pedals attach to the cranks. The bottom bracket assembly fits inside the bottom bracket shell which connects to the seat tube, down tube, and chain stays.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Bottom Bracket has never really made sense to me, how did they arrive at that name?
No idea, but according to Sheldon Brown it may have also been referred to as a "hangar" once upon a time...

Also @borgward you may find Sheldon's site (linked above) helpful in doing any necessary repairs to that fancy bike you just bought. I would suspect there's a lot of useful and relevant info there, particularly given the age of the bike.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have two vintage Schwinn bikes, one from the late 60s unbuilt, one from the 80s which is my bar bike.
I have a '58 Schwinn Spitfire that's my main townie bike at the moment, just had it tuned up, replaced some worn out parts, and found a longer seat post for it so I can actually sorta pedal it now. It's geared pretty tall, thank @FSM town is really pretty darn flat. Mine is Spitfire Blue, but I did find a pic of one in green that is otherwise exactly my bike.

I also recently found a '75 Speedster on the side of the road, sitting in a pile of other stuff with a big ol' FREE sign on it. This was at the end of someone's driveway on a county road that leads up to the trailhead of a trail system I ride fairly often, I was on the trail bike when I saw the Speedster. Went back after my ride a few hours later in my truck and it was still there. Score! Again this isn't my picture, but this is exactly the bike I found. Three speed Sturmey Archer rear hub, fenders, hand brakes, and I even think it still has all the reflectors. Stoked to get it up and running over the winter, now that I have a garage to work on bikes in.

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021

The bottom bracket assembly on a bicycle connects the crankset to the bicycle and allows the crankset to rotate freely. It contains a spindle that the crankset attaches to and the bearings that allow the spindle and cranks
to rotate. The chain rings and pedals attach to the cranks. The bottom bracket assembly fits inside the bottom bracket shell which connects to the seat tube, down tube, and chain stays.
OK I understand. It is the spindle (shaft). Being aluminum I can see that it could be a weak point. jdcamb mentioned the caged bearing. I agree. Did they use inferior quality caged bearings? Anybody have access to Behrings Bearings? It's a reference work. I believe 2 volumes. Lists everything about bearings, manufacturers, specs, by serial #, etc.

OK I understand. It is the spindle (shaft). Being aluminum I can see that it could be a weak point. jdcamb mentioned the caged bearing. I agree. Did they use inferior quality caged bearings? Anybody have access to Behrings Bearings? It's a reference work. I believe 2 volumes. Lists everything about bearings, manufacturers, specs, by serial #, etc.
No, it's not the shaft, it's the aluminum sheet metal piece showm in jdcamb's photo that retains and spaces the ball bearings.