Quantcast

Scooter, or Motorcycle

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I want to get somthing to ride the 10 miles to work and around the city so I don't have to put wear and tear on my Pathfinder, pay for gas, fight for parking, etc.

I know that riding a scooter looks ghey, but thats somthing i'm willing to bear.

Scooter Pros:
No license needed
No Insurance needed
Don't have to deal with the DMV

Scooter Cons:
Can't go on the highway
looks ghey so people will make fun of me (I don't really care)
speed limited

Bike Pros:
Faster
Can go on the highway

Bike Cons:
Have to get it registered
Have to get insurance
Have to get a Motorcycle license
Have to deal with the DMV and get plates and all that
Have to deal with the title and title fees

Any thoughts?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
are your sure about no reg/ins/etc?

its a motorized and on the roads, I'd think it would need some of that crap

oh, and dont be gay, buy a motorcyle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
-The increased power of a real motorcycle make you much safer on the road IMO.
-I pay less than $100 a year for my motorcycle insurance.
-There are several small displacement motorcycles that are probably competetive in price to a new scooter.
-Getting a license in Va only requires the MSF class, you should take the class if on a moto or a scooter.

Edit:

Scooters are for people with DWI's.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
in NY

a moped does not need reg/etc but can not be driven on roads or sidewalks

all "limited use motorcycles" (i.e. scooter) must be registered/insured/etc

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
New Ninja 250's go for less than $3k, if you don't like the looks of a sport bike the Honda Rebel goes for around $3K. Both 250CC engines, small for modern motorcycles but still probably quicker than most cars on the road.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
You're in Richmond right?

My brother/sister in-law live in Richmond. They have a vespa and ride the crap out of it. I think they live off Broadway somewhere, near Monument. He works at VCU and she's a student. I think my bro in law uses it the most though. They've never had any problems that I know of. I think it saves them a ton on gas money.

Personally I'd just invest in a beater bicycle and be done with it. 10 miles isn't that far (although you will get sweaty)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jdschall said:
You're in Richmond right?

My brother/sister in-law live in Richmond. They have a vespa and ride the crap out of it. I think they live off Broadway somewhere, near Monument. He works at VCU and she's a student. I think my bro in law uses it the most though. They've never had any problems that I know of. I think it saves them a ton on gas money.

Personally I'd just invest in a beater bicycle and be done with it. 10 miles isn't that far (although you will get sweaty)

I don't need a beater bike, I have bikes I could ride, but....... riding my bike to work in Richmond heat and humidity to stand around for 9 hours all sweaty and nasty is not gonna be too good!

So who wants to sell me a bike for a grand? :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Get a cheap beater motorcycle off craigs list for $500. Take the basic course, the insurance is nothing and even a poorly running motorcycle get's 3 times the milage yout truck gets.

I have thought about getting a beater cafe style bike, but I need to finish my truck project before I start yet another project. I could convert my Husaberg for street for about $300, but I would need to weld a kick stand on.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Get the scooter. It's way better for the city. One of the newer, 49cc two stroke models goes plenty fast enough, about 60mph, and they can wheelie on demand. Everyone in my city rides a scooter, and they are way better in traffic than a full on bike. Plus, they're easier to ride drunk, smaller if garage space matters, and annoy just about anyone else. I'd recomend an Aprilia SR50, I had one for a week and it was kiler. Motorcycles aren't really that cool in traffic, the scooter is much easier and much more comfortable around the city. It's not a fast/turns/highway/roadtrip/racer, but it's not supposed to be. Get the scooter!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I so badly want to build a ghetto cafe cruiser this summer. Since my chopper is off fr at least a year, I think a craigs list jap bike is in order.

$500

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
bikenweed said:
Get the scooter. It's way better for the city. One of the newer, 49cc two stroke models goes plenty fast enough, about 60mph, and they can wheelie on demand. Everyone in my city rides a scooter, and they are way better in traffic than a full on bike. Plus, they're easier to ride drunk, smaller if garage space matters, and annoy just about anyone else. I'd recomend an Aprilia SR50, I had one for a week and it was kiler. Motorcycles aren't really that cool in traffic, the scooter is much easier and much more comfortable around the city. It's not a fast/turns/highway/roadtrip/racer, but it's not supposed to be. Get the scooter!

I don't think they go 60......... But those are the reasons I want to get one. The one I am looking at is my buddies, and its pretty sweet. Its two speed and will do about 45. I figure I can change the top gear out and take off the govener and get some speed out of it

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
bikenweed said:
:stupid:

The Aprilia SR50 is a great bike, also look at the Italjet Dragster and Formula.

As Bikenweed said, these bikes are plenty fast enough for the city, way lighter and easier to handle than a full on motorbike, easier and cheaper to run and will fit through gaps in traffic that no motorbike can. They also keep your legs safer.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BigMike said:
I don't think they go 60......... But those are the reasons I want to get one. The one I am looking at is my buddies, and its pretty sweet. Its two speed and will do about 45. I figure I can change the top gear out and take off the govener and get some speed out of it
A stock Italjet Formula 50cc will do 55mph, and a couple of hundred bucks of mods can get it up to 70mph. However, as a veteran of riding in city traffic, go for acceleration, not top speed. In a city centre you rarely ever need to do more than about 40.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This is the 125 model of the Formula:

These do about 80mph, and they'll get there very fast. Plus they only weigh 95Kg, so they stop fast too.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I gotta keep it to a fiddy. Thats the whole point is to not have to register, have a license, etc. If its over 49cc, you have to get all that nonsense :)

My buddy has one he's gonna sell, some italian company. Its pretty nice, has about 2000 miles on it, and he needs to sell it because his car just imploded on itself and he needs a new one

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Yeah, be sure you get a two stroke 49cc. They pull wheelies super easily, and do go very quick. Noisy, but many have a separate oil tank that automatically mixes the gas for you. Yes, you can hit about 60mph/100kmh on an SR50, I've done it. It's a little scary with those tiny wheels though.

A buddy of mine got a 125cc four stroke Yamaha and it sucks. Super slow. It's still whiny and loud, only it goes really slow. You want to be able to enjoy it somewhat, go for the two stroke quicker type.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's kinda cool looking. I thought about one then my wife about kicked my ass. I have to get a fill sized bike if I get one. Working downtown does make scooters look like an option though. I will end up with a 500cc cafe and be happy.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
BigMike said:
Check it, This Would be the one i'm getting

EDIT: I just tried the link and its a java script or somthing, so when you click on the link above, then click on the Silver Fox.

My buddy has the fiddy edition he's trying to sell.

Any thoughts?
Sorry dude I was with you until i saw this link....its ghey looking. I just picked up an old Honda Nighthawk for $1300 plenty of power and cushy. Go with a bike you will be happier in the long run, you will want more power and versatility. Just register the damn thing in California with zero experience on a bike reg cost me $56 and insurance is $30/month.

titch

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
wisbech, cambridgeshire
buy a bike i own a scooter and it's so crap i hardly ever use it i'd much rather be out on my db. take the real advice get a bike.

by the way where do you live coz you need insurance, tax and mot in the uk for a scooter.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
beestiboy said:
Sorry dude I was with you until i saw this link....its ghey looking. I just picked up an old Honda Nighthawk for $1300 plenty of power and cushy. Go with a bike you will be happier in the long run, you will want more power and versatility. Just register the damn thing in California with zero experience on a bike reg cost me $56 and insurance is $30/month.
I agree 100%.......scooter...ha...ha....ha....I think I would rather walk....