Quantcast

Scope and meniscus tear

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My wife had a scope and a meniscous tear fixed on Mon, 1/3 removed. Anyone have this surgery? How long till you were 100%? How long till you could walk normal? Any info? Thanks

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Too many factors...

I had the same thing done when I was 17. I walked out of the hospital. I was playing bball at probably 95% two weeks after the surgery. Of course, I was 17. I imagine that timeline would double or triple now.

I've had various things done to my knee - I have almost no meniscus and am largely bone on bone in there. I've had much bone scraped out to make things smooth. I definitely did not walk out of those.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I tore my meniscus when I was 14y on the inside left knee. Sorry if I sound stupid. Don't know the med terms for inside knee.

Anywho, the doc sewed it back together and put me in a full leg cast for two months. It sucked but I still have my meniscus. Doc said it was better since I wouldn't have bone grinding on bone.

Good luck to your wife. My brother had his knee scoped and was playing ball shortly after. Big ol knee brace though.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
OK......I'm 33 and I just had my 2nd meniscus surgery. 1st time was when I was 21. That healed up pretty quickly--two or three days and I was back walking around with no problem.

This time, as age gets on you, it takes just a little longer to patch up. I had my right knee done in April--meniscus trim and bone spurs removed. Very much like the 1st surgery, I was up and walking around in no time, but getting back to weight-bearing activities took way longer than I thought. Getting back on the bike took about two weeks--I kinda expected that. Seated peddling was non-painful.....but the second I tried to stand and pedal, I could immediately tell where the weakness was. It was at the top of the patella--where that tendon connects to your quad. Just biking alone wasn't strengthening it the way I imagined it would. I needed isolated exercises to build up that area more than a pedal stroke would do.

The exercise I chose was a simple one--stairsteps. Step up, step down...step up, step down. I just kept doing this a few times a day over a 3 week period and the area got a lot stronger. It doesn't hurt to pedal anymore---I still haven't gotten to 100%--somewhere around 85%, but that's pretty good and getting better everyday. The most important thing is to limit yourself from the activities that got you hurt in the first place. In my case, it was not dirt jumping or doing any drops or stupid stuff.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I got a scope and scrape about 3.5 years ago. No tears. I was riding (road not mtb) again the same week. No rehab needed. Just regular exercise prescribed. I was 30 at the time. Like greyhound says happened on his second surgery, it hurt for a while to do weight-bearing exercises.

I still can't do full leg extensions with weights.

The reason is that I have an OCD (osteo-chondral defect) that they couldn't fix. Basically that means I wore through the cartilage on the back of my knee cap to the bone and now the exposed bone is dieing. Hurts like hell occasionally, if I hit it just right (like on a full leg extension). I can do partial leg extensions with weights on the lower 1/3 of the movement and upper 1/3 of the movement. The middle part makes bone on bone contact and it, excuse the language please, hurts like a motherf***er.

This summer, three years on, was the first time I have been able to stand and really feel comfortable doing a full on sprint on the MTB. I've gotten really good at spinning though...

I reckon I'll end up having a new one put in some day, hopefully, way down the line.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its been 2 weeks and she is still having problems walking. I really dont understand it and neither does her PT or Dr. She is super tough so this is not like her. It is getting better but not very fast. Thanks to all for the info.