Quantcast

scotch, revisited

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
I kno there's a post a few down from my buddy meatfoot about single malts, but i have a more specific question:

here's the sich:

I love broubon. knob creek and woodman's reserve are the two faves.

the Q:

what scotch would I like? I've tried Laphroaig (sp?) and found it way too "peety". Balveinie? (slly scottsmen- cant make things spellable by the rest of the planet) glenfiddich? glenmorangie? just throwing out names Ive seen at trade-your-hoes or bevmo.

thanks ahead of time.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Trial and Error of Course.

Regarding Bourbon: Never heard of Woodman's Reserve but looove Knob Creek. I'm running low on my Jim Beam Black may hafta look at the Woodman's.

I'm no help on the Scotch Question (obviously).

Best idea is to buddy up with some guy who claims to know his scotch, work it right and he'll buy you a couple of shots to educate you..

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Go try them at a bar where you can just get one drink instead of a whole bottle.
Myself, I like Glenmorange Portwood finish.
Cost-Ho usually has it.
I also have become a fan of Jonnywalker Black lable.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Originally posted by Spud
Trial and Error of Course.

Regarding Bourbon: Never heard of Woodman's Reserve but looove Knob Creek. I'm running low on my Jim Beam Black may hafta look at the Woodman's.

I'm no help on the Scotch Question (obviously).

Best idea is to buddy up with some guy who claims to know his scotch, work it right and he'll buy you a couple of shots to educate you..

oops- its woodFORD reserve. apparently the official bourbon of the kentucky derby.

thanks for the advice. will do me some trial and (hic) error....with a stogie perhaps...

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
I really think it should appeal to most whisky drinkers who are into scotch even just a little bit.

If you don't wanna spring for a bottle, go try it at a bar. Better yet, find a nice restaurant or bar that offers a scotch sampler, and try a few.

And yes, the stogie WILL aid in your experimentation ;)

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Originally posted by Fathead
I really think it should appeal to most whisky drinkers who are into scotch even just a little bit.

If you don't wanna spring for a bottle, go try it at a bar. Better yet, find a nice restaurant or bar that offers a scotch sampler, and try a few.

And yes, the stogie WILL aid in your experimentation ;)

especially if it comes from a country that we arent purchasing stuff from.:evil:

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Originally posted by Spud
Stay away from those North Korean cigars. Blech.

Woodford? I'll look for it in one hour and 22 minutes.
i was referring to the caribbean communist nation.

woodford comes highly reccomended.

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
I had a big triste with scotch for a while. I dont know where the picture went, but through a connection, me and some roomates probably burned through a grand of scotch in a couple months......

The islay stuff is usually pretty good, I liked the Oban and the Laguvalin. i think thats the spelling but the laguvalin stuff is really good. One of my favorites. A cheaper bottle i like is the laphroig. Since you didnt like the peaty taste, you could try out the Dalmore. The dalmore is a pretty sweet scotch with a pretty scotchy flavor. It was one of the first scotches i liked.

Give it a whirl.

brian

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
nice sampler, brian!

hmm. maybe a trip to the market is in store. belvedere vodka is low, and the woodford is almost empty as well.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Originally posted by slowSSer
nice sampler, brian!

hmm. maybe a trip to the market is in store. belvedere vodka is low, and the woodford is almost empty as well.
K, now I am thirsty. You guys are killin me. Nice photo of the samplers! It all started this morning, listening to M&B on the radio on my commute. Too bad the thirst was revolving around them drinking Blue Label. Well this day has pretty much been a pooch screw at work. :D
Mike

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
Yeah man im gettin mighty thirsty. I actually dont have any belvedere at the moment.... just a bottle of skyy...... I miss belvedere, for a few weeks, i drank nothing but greygoose and or belvedere martinis. mmmmm

Course i have class from 6-9 but i can probably weld with a few drinks in me

brian

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
i was referring to the caribbean communist nation.

woodford comes highly reccomended.
Silly me... I forgot about Cuban Cigars:evil:

The Woodford was right up there with Knob Creek in Price. Unfortunately one of my friends from Tennessee was in the liquor store buying bourbon at the same time. He was raving about Rebel Yell (Fine sipping bourbon ya know). WTF, I'm a people pleaser bought a bottle of that to stroke my buddy's ego. :rolleyes:

That's one that will be mixed with seven up around new years...
:dead:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
nice sampler, brian!

Skip the Belvedere and try Level. It's the new top shelf offering from Absolut. Cleanest, smoothest vodka I've ver had. I love Vox and Effen, and Level blows them both away in smoothness. Maybe not quite the character of Effen, but smoother.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Originally posted by El Jefe
Skip the Belvedere and try Level. It's the new top shelf offering from Absolut. Cleanest, smoothest vodka I've ver had. I love Vox and Effen, and Level blows them both away in smoothness. Maybe not quite the character of Effen, but smoother.
ive really never liked anything from absolute. something about the taste just doesnt work for me.