Quantcast

Scott Gambler 2013!

Bill12

Chimp
Nov 13, 2012
Hey, what s going wrong with Scott ?

They promise me a shipping date at 6th of february and ... nothing, that the third time they did it :mad:

I have passed my order in september 2012 in france and i m still waiting, not for so long cause i think i m going unfortunatly buy another brand.

Have you the same issue ?

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I think they just have had some problems with the shipments. I got a date for March 25th this time (moved from January 25th).

hookie

Chimp
Feb 11, 2013
Germany
I have an issue with the dimensions of the spring - the current spring is 300x3.70 and i need a 250. I found no spring with the dimensions 250x3.70!? So where can i get one, or fits a 250x3.50, 250x3.75 also?

Thanks!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Spring length can change based on a number of factors. Lower rate springs have a tendency to be longer, because for a given coil thickness and coil spacing, more coils are required to yield a lower (softer) rate.

As long as the spring is short enough to physically fit the shock, and has enough stroke to accomodate the shaft stroke of the shock (which 3.75 is ample for) then you are fine.

RickyZone

Chimp
Sep 16, 2012
Has anybody got their new Gambler yet? :D In case you have, please post some pictures and ride impressions (yes, I do know it's winter).

I'm still awaiting delivery here in Sweden, the wait is killing me.

Dec 4, 2012
All guys that are already riding their new gamblers:
Can you post your weight (with and without gear) and the spring you are riding.

The manual seems to recommend very hard springs. I'm currently riding a 300lbs/in spring and get about 22% of SAG. For my weight (around 80kg with gear), the manual recommends a 350lbs/in spring. This doesn't seem as a good option...

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Got word yesterday that my frame is shipped. Will be here early next week so I figured that it was time to build my new wheels.
Hubs: Shimano Saint M825 Rear, M820 front.
Rims: Stan's Flow Ex (Removed decals, yellow tape)
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf (Super Gravity, Vert Star).
Discs: Shimano RT-99

Pumped them up with my floorpump without any problems!
No sealant in them yet, I want the rimtape to get a good night of pressure before i put that in.

2013-04-06-22.jpg

There might have been a beer or two as well...

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The manual seems to recommend very hard springs. I'm currently riding a 300lbs/in spring and get about 22% of SAG. For my weight (around 80kg with gear), the manual recommends a 350lbs/in spring. This doesn't seem as a good option...
The new gamblers seem to need a higher spring rate than you'd normally run, if you are happy with the performance don't worry too much about the numbers.

I weigh the same as you with gear, and rode it with the 350. Thought it'd be too hard but it worked quite well and didn't seem to feel excessively firm or harsh at all. That was with a custom small-shaft RC4 though so perhaps 300 is good for the stock item.

Keep in mind that they are also very slack, so riding too low in the rear dynamically may be undesirable.

wolfrider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
I've been riding a gambler 30 large with some swapped out parts for a little bit and my first impression, as well as a few riding homies, is that it rides like a cadillac. I'm running the stock van r with a 350 spring for now. It plows through gnar so well! I'm really looking forward to riding Northstar on this rig come summer time1111.jpg.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2012
Yeah, the bike was really snappy using the 300 spring, but over smaller consecutive hits, I couldn't really keep my feet on the pedals.
Nukeproof has steel springs in 25lbs/in increments now, so I will give a 275 spring a try.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, the bike was really snappy using the 300 spring, but over smaller consecutive hits, I couldn't really keep my feet on the pedals.
Nukeproof has steel springs in 25lbs/in increments now, so I will give a 275 spring a try.
Where are you with your clickers and reservoir psi? What shock are you running? What is your weight without gear?

Dec 4, 2012
Piggy was at 150psi. LSC 8 clicks from fully closed. With rebound I started in the middle (7-8 clicks from fully closed) and went to around 11 clicks from fully closed. Opening up the rebound further started to get sketchy on jumps, but running 11 clicks was better than 7 clicks over these consecutive hits. I'm 75kg without gear and SAG was around 22%.

RickyZone

Chimp
Sep 16, 2012
I've been riding a gambler 30 large with some swapped out parts for a little bit and my first impression, as well as a few riding homies, is that it rides like a cadillac. I'm running the stock van r with a 350 spring for now. It plows through gnar so well! I'm really looking forward to riding Northstar on this rig come summer timeView attachment 113608.
I can't help but thinking that the Gambler 30 has the best color-scheme this year! Surely does look fast! ;) No word yet on delivery of my Gambler 20. Word from Scott is that they're having problems keeping up with production. Apparently, Scott has more orders than the total number of production units for the season.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Curious how everybody is finding the sizing of their Gamblers? I'm 5'6"(170cm) and usually ride small frames, but just heard today that the frames fit pretty small compared to other frames. Obviously it would be best to swing a leg over the bike and see how it fits, but it seems pretty rare to find a Gambler around these parts, let alone a small one.

Well off I go to crunch some geo numbers and compare em to my previous bikes.

Cheers for any helps.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Curious how everybody is finding the sizing of their Gamblers? I'm 5'6"(170cm) and usually ride small frames, but just heard today that the frames fit pretty small compared to other frames. Obviously it would be best to swing a leg over the bike and see how it fits, but it seems pretty rare to find a Gambler around these parts, let alone a small one.

Well off I go to crunch some geo numbers and compare em to my previous bikes.

Cheers for any helps.
Looks like you'll have to change your user name

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Curious how everybody is finding the sizing of their Gamblers? I'm 5'6"(170cm) and usually ride small frames, but just heard today that the frames fit pretty small compared to other frames.
Because these bikes are very slack, the wheelbase numbers are quite long for a given cockpit size - so for a given size you end up with a bike that has a smaller hand-foot distance but longer wheelbase than what you might be used to. The end result here is that the bike will feel longer when actually riding it - for purposes of stability and cornering - than how it feels when you are just standing on it. Unfortunately it's just a side effect of modern slack geometry, and the Gambler happens to be close to the extreme end of this scale, and in my experience is something you will get used to.

I think you would probably be comfortable on a medium, set to the short chainstay setting. You may feel a little cramped on the small in terms of reach.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Well I ended up getting a chance to throw a leg over a medium Gambler 10. Seems like it fits well so I ordered one up. Seeing how I left it so late, I will only be able to order a Gambler 30.....

Does anyone one know which BB it uses? The 10 and 20 indicate that the BB is a BB107 Pressfit, yet it the website kinda give one the impression that the 30 has a reg. style BB

Any info out there? Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
Edit: There's a picute on the first page that indicates there are 2 frame options , one with an 83mm BB or a PF107 BB.

Has anyone ridden the 20? I think I'm going to pick one up in a few months time when I can ride again and I'm interested to hear how the forks and shock go. The forks dont seem to have a compression adjustment and I've never ridden a vanilla RC or 40 before.

Last edited:

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Edit: There's a picute on the first page that indicates there are 2 frame options , one with an 83mm BB or a PF107 BB.
thanks. I guess I skipped right past that the last time I browsed through this thread.

(*e-sarc)So will I be losing seconds on the track because of this?

Tamo

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Sweden
image.jpg

image.jpg

My new bike. Medium size. Had a summum before and at the same ha the gambler turns better. I was really surprised how well it turned.

Im 75kg and the 300 spring feels too soft. going to try a 350. Does anyone have a good base setting for the van rc?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Excuse the gravedig, but need input on sizing. I'm 5'10 with short legs and trying to make the decision between the large and the medium. Any suggestions?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just bought, built and rode my new Gambler. Firstly, some observations. Was 9 cable tie points enough for the rear brake cable routing? Pretty interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a more heavily secured cable anywhere. The Synchros adjustable angle headset is friggen brilliant and I love it. However, the OCD in my wishes the headtube had some kind of corresponding mark on it to make installing different offset cups easier. I'm always paranoid they'll go in out of whack.

Ridewise, I'm stoked. I never really noticed any of the pedal feedback at all. Through the rough stuff, it is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. That's not an off the cuff statement, I've ridden a helluva lot of different bikes and I've never felt one that handled the rocks and roots without slowing down or getting hung up at all like the Gambler does. Pretty damn clever.

I look forward to a few more days of runs to really make up my mind but today's riding just blew me away with how capable a bike this thing is.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Glad you like it Toodles! We spent a lot of time on the pivot height and I think that is one of the main reasons the bike holds speed on the rough stuff. What settings are you running?

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Bikes great, but WTH is up with Brendon F, everyone else but him seems to be getting results on this puppy, is he hiding an injury or just lazy, he got his wish to be #1 team rider and seems to me to be letting Scott down unless as said earlier theyres more to it physically. Team enviroment seems tops. He should be a contender on this bike, take pedalling out of it for a second and Val Di Sole should have been his chance to shine!