Quantcast

Scott Gambler 2013!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Really interesting looking linkage. Just finished clicking through the slideshow on vitalmtb. Apparently the suspension curve is almost identical to the old gambler but this design centralizes the weight and makes the bike better for square edged hits (due to the higher pivot).

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Geo almost the same as the Demo (surprise ;-)). Combined with a single pivot, a reasonable progressiv leverage curve and in my eyes reasonable adjustments, this should be a great ride.
Only the stock headangle of 62° is a bit slack in my eyes. But on a bike like this you don't get steeper then 64°, so it makes sense.

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Too many pivots? ;)

Honestly, it looks like a sick ride and be interesting to read an amateur rider/racer review of the bike
It has the exact same amount of pivots as any other linkage driven single pivot except that the linkage pulls the shock instead of pushes it.

This thing about this linkage being extremely complicated has been observation #1 since it came out in the teasers. I don't know how much longer I can keep myself from telling anyone who says this that they are idiots... oops.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Extremely complicated? Not really...

The vertical linkage connects the shock to the swingarm and compresses it. You can call it a pull-rod I guess.
The horizontal linkage contstrains the shock and pull-rod assembly in its "place".
That's it, that's all.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I love the detailed charts and graphs.. Also nice they were honest about gaining some pedal feedback by raising the pivot point. The details with the flipchips are nice also, really dug that about my voltage FR

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I love the detailed charts and graphs.. Also nice they were honest about gaining some pedal feedback by raising the pivot point. The details with the flipchips are nice also, really dug that about my voltage FR
true dat. i like scott, since their marketing material is usually very informative.

i´ve had both, the voltage FR30 and a gambler dh10 (currently)... and the higher pivot is a much welcomed change. the gambler does not eat square-edged hit as good as other bikes.....

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
anybody care to elaborate on the "advantages" of the press fit over a threaded bb?
You have to pay to have your bike shop install it?

Weight/stiffness I want to think is the reason, since you're pressing in bearings you don't have the weight of the threaded part of a bottom bracket. I believe bb30/press-fit specific cranks have a bigger diameter and consequently stiffer spindle.. Of course if you run a threaded bb in a press fit frame it will be heavier because of the threaded to press fit adapter.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
This isn't BB30. The bearings and crank spindle are the same as threaded 83mm. Instead of threading BB cups into the frame that hold the bearings outboard, the frame is wider and bigger diameter allowing thin plastic cups to press into it that hold the bearings within the BB shell. This is stiffer, lighter, and eliminates creaking from the threads. On carbon frames it saves them from having to use aluminum fittings with the threads.

Also easier to install/remove as a plastic mallet and punch will do the trick instead of a special tool.

You can't use a threaded BB but a press-fit BB is very cheap cuz it's just plastic cups and bearings.

Only downside is on non-ISCG frames you can't use a BB mount chain guide.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This isn't BB30. The bearings and crank spindle are the same as threaded 83mm. Instead of threading BB cups into the frame that hold the bearings outboard, the frame is wider and bigger diameter allowing thin plastic cups to press into it that hold the bearings within the BB shell. This is stiffer, lighter, and eliminates creaking from the threads. On carbon frames it saves them from having to use aluminum fittings with the threads.

Also easier to install/remove as a plastic mallet and punch will do the trick instead of a special tool.

You can't use a threaded BB but a press-fit BB is very cheap cuz it's just plastic cups and bearings.

Only downside is on non-ISCG frames you can't use a BB mount chain guide.
ah yes, there's nothing I like more than treating my 8plus thousand dollar mountain bike like a bmx bike from walmart. I've never had any creaking issues with any of my four threaded external BBs...am I doing something wrong? I'd much rather buy the special tool than deal with a mallet and a block of wood. I get the structural elements, but I don't see the draw.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
ah yes, there's nothing I like more than treating my 8plus thousand dollar mountain bike like a bmx bike from walmart. I've never had any creaking issues with any of my four threaded external BBs...am I doing something wrong? I'd much rather buy the special tool than deal with a mallet and a block of wood. I get the structural elements, but I don't see the draw.

Sometimes you are what you criticized duuuuuuude, I've seen you bash people for things like what you'e posted. :D

With so many options out there it's not really a question of "why?" but "why not?". If it's better in every way, even if it's marginally there really is no reason why not to do it. And it sounds like you've been off the carbon pills, no press fit BB no carbon goodness. Call the carbon inquisition!

I'd bet it's also a lot cheaper for manufacturers to make for both frames and components. And hasn't it been pretty clear from way back during those awesome industry insider cartoons on vital that Scott has every intention making a carbon DH bike? One step in that direction?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sometimes you are what you criticized duuuuuuude, I've seen you bash people for things like what you'e posted. :D
I know but I'm a tool.

Is it better in every way though? Are you actually improving anything, or are you forcing an evolution that people don't really want or need? Seems a bit like 11 speed to me. Reducing functionality while achieving a goal that 3% of the riding population want. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone complain that their saint cranks weren't stiff or creak free enough. I get the carbon press fit, as you don't "need" an aluminum insert, but external BBs are really, really good.

Anyways, the new scott looks dope regardles off its BB. I can't ride a HA that slack but the pivot is spot on and the linkage has big fat bearings that should last a very long time. I dig it.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Pivot bearings are press fit, headset cups are press fit....

It's not like the press fit bb came from no where.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
OT but why don't people use threaded headset cups?
because press fit is a better design for the application?

the real question is WHY threaded bottom brackets exist in the first place. many moons ago, i had a 1991 fat city wicked had press fit BBs, and that worked way better than the threaded cups of the day.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
BB92 (same overall width as a BSA 73mm) or BB107 (same as BSA 83mm) is only good if the frame design takes advantage of it. The idea is that with the wider BB shell, you can have a wider downtube and seatube junction, dramatically increasing the frame stiffness. If a PF BB is present but the ST and DT aren't designed around it, then it is a useless feature.

The argument for installation and tool availability is pretty much moot. It's only about frame stiffness. if you follow road products, you'll can read in every review about increased frame stiffness due to a wider BB mated to larger diameter STs and DTs.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
because press fit is a better design for the application?

the real question is WHY threaded bottom brackets exist in the first place. many moons ago, i had a 1991 fat city wicked had press fit BBs, and that worked way better than the threaded cups of the day.
my 1990 klein has press fit bb bearings as well; slick. also - my (2007) lahar has press fit bearings in the headset (ie, eliminates extraneous headset cups, and aluminum inserts) as well as bb. simple, lightweight, and bomber. aaron, despite his faults, was full of next level smartypants ideas.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

yeah, with the same basic tool as you remove a headset cup.

i don't get what the problem is...? its not like headset removal, or suspension pivot bearing removal is hard on a frame.

pivot bearing removal (still uses a hammer):

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
All I can say is that those old Fat Chance bikes were awesome, and therefore, the new Scott will be awesome, but only if you get the version with press-fit BB.