Quantcast

Scott Gambler 2013!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Glad you like it Toodles! We spent a lot of time on the pivot height and I think that is one of the main reasons the bike holds speed on the rough stuff. What settings are you running?
The Gambler 10s sold out over here so I picked up a Gambler 20 and put my Kashima 40s on it. Its running a 300lb spring on a Van RC at the moment, which should be undersprung but seems to work quite nicely. Its a lot firmer than I expected for my 90kgs. Might need to up the spring rate as I get used to the bike and if I lengthen the chainstays. Running it in short CS, low BB and +1 headset cups. The adjustability on these things is brilliant.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Well the Gambler is finally done. Rear shock will soon be a CCDB Air and other than that, things should be as seen. 38.1 lbs with race wheel(tubeless Minion DHF 2.5 3c) set on and 38.7 with the spare wheel set as seen.

Rode the bike today for the first time and wow...color me impressed. Awesome bike.

Of course photo cred goes to DaveT

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Bikes great, but WTH is up with Brendon F, everyone else but him seems to be getting results on this puppy, is he hiding an injury or just lazy, he got his wish to be #1 team rider and seems to me to be letting Scott down unless as said earlier theyres more to it physically. Team enviroment seems tops. He should be a contender on this bike, take pedalling out of it for a second and Val Di Sole should have been his chance to shine!
i thought he was more of a freerider than WC racer?

either way, i like watching him ride..

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Gambler 10s sold out over here so I picked up a Gambler 20 and put my Kashima 40s on it. Its running a 300lb spring on a Van RC at the moment, which should be undersprung but seems to work quite nicely. Its a lot firmer than I expected for my 90kgs. Might need to up the spring rate as I get used to the bike and if I lengthen the chainstays. Running it in short CS, low BB and +1 headset cups. The adjustability on these things is brilliant.
At 90kilos with a Van RC I would recommend a 350lb spring.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Out of interest - how much does the fravel travel change between the two chainstay positions?

edit oh and obligatory build shot

Last edited:

Bill12

Chimp
Nov 13, 2012
Hy,

I running a 275lb spring on a CCDB for 75Kgs, Which base tunes you recommend for the gambler (HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR)

Last edited:

willi

Chimp
Sep 28, 2012
Has anybody the right torque from the fixing Bolts of the Rear shock? 35Nm in the Manual can only be a Joke:eek:

Thanks

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ben would know, after his sudden overnight promotion to chief engineer. :p
Might be time to unveil the BW-Link chief!
Haha, I tried to set things straight in the comments, and by the way it's the RW link!

I am flying to Whistler tomorrow and will have a few days to shred before work starts. Are you around?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I am flying to Whistler tomorrow and will have a few days to shred before work starts. Are you around?
I wish, back home at the moment, have a good trip!
Missing you and your lopsided mountain cows.

funkyflea

Chimp
Oct 1, 2007
I just bought the Gambler 20 2013 and owning a 2011 CCDB in 9.5x3.0 I have the option to rebuild it to a 10.5x3.5 length, my other option is to buy a 10.5x3,5 Fox RC4 factory 2013 at a discounted price.

Do you think the RC4 factory will work with the frame leverage curve 2.7-2.2 out of the box or might I need to tweak the shim stacks for high speed and rebound. I presume that the RC4 comes in factory tune medium comp and medium rebound but Im not sure.

The new Vivid r2c is also an option Im thinking low tune.

Any thoughts? :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Those frames require a custom valved shock and the Gambler 20 works surprisingly well with the Van RC that it comes with.

Any upgrade should be to the 2014 small shaft RC4 in this frame in my opinion (which I imagine will be Scott's suggestion too), as there isn't a high enough leverage ratio initially to counteract the air spring effect of the larger shaft. I wouldn't bother putting the 2013 RC4 in this particular frame, especially with stock valving.

I'd ride the frame as it is first though, if you can get over the fact that it's a Van, you'll probably find it works quite well. I can't comment on how the CCDB works in it (buckoW can though).

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm with Udi. I've got the gambler 20, and prior to purchasing it I'd pretty much written off the Van RC. After the first run I really couldn't flaw it though. Seems to work pretty damn well, so providing it is durable I think its actually a better shock than I originally gave it credit for.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I'm about 167 cm and ended up going with the medium. I normally ride small frames(Demo 8, 951, Socom) and found the med Gambler to fit really nicely. I tried sitting on a small frame the other day(it was Floriane Pugin bike so it could be custom) and it was a rather small frame.

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
How are people finding the long term durability of the gambler? Like bearings and pivots? I do a bit of travelling and thus don't get to do regular maintenance like i would at home.

Much news on the 2014 models and release date yet (other than whats in the 2014 thread), specifically the frame only option? I should be able to get a reasonable decent hookup from a scott dealer so the gambler is at the top of the list.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hy,

I m looking for bases tune for cane creek dbcoil for my scott gambler, can you help me ?
These were my settings last time I rode a CCDB on the Gambler.
DBcoil settings: 400lb/in spring: HSC:4, HSR:0.25 from all in, LSC:16, LSR:18
DBair settings: Volume Spacers:3 large,1 Small, Pressure=130psi, HSC:3,HSR:2,LSC:12,LSR:12

willi

Chimp
Sep 28, 2012
@BuckoW

Where did you get the bushings for the CCDB? The only one(as i know)that build Bushing is Huber Bushings. But he only made one in max. 58mm.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2012
I rode Huber Bushings half of last season in my DB-Air. They are great! Just contact Huber and he will produce them for you!

Dec 4, 2012
Yeah I know about the 58mm maximum. But I talked to him and he produced 60mm ones for me. I'm using a high-strength screw for a bit of added security and had zero issues in about 20 days of bikepark riding!

willi

Chimp
Sep 28, 2012
Ok thanks for your help! I will contact him again to produce a 60mm for me to:thumb:

Last edited:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Quick and stupid question...does this work with the 32-36T LG1? or 32-36T SRS e.13 guides? Mine came with a 36-40 but i would rather run the smaller guide as I'm using 36T and plan on running the low bb setting and want the clearance....It seems like the upper guide block might have some clearance issues...anyone know?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
32-36 LG1+ also fits and works.

I know it was discussed earlier but what's the proper way to remove the Shimano pressfit BB without damaging the cups or internal sleeve? Is there a tool you're supposed to use? And yes, the pictures of hammers have already been posted.

darkness777

Chimp
Feb 25, 2011
soon to be italy
does anyone here know where I can get a good price on a new 2013 Gambler frame or a new 2014 gambler 20 online, all the places I have found so far are either in the uk or somewhere else in the world that would be stupid expensive either to buy or to ship.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone know if Scott Gambler DH frame from 2013 is compatibility with 650b wheels?
Yes, but the geometry won't be as good unless you use a custom shorter shock.

It could work well if you are willing to customize, as the Gambler has enough travel in reserve to do this kind of thing (8.3-8.5~ depending on CS setting).