Quantcast

Scratched CD's

irishMonkey

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
Los Olivos
Does any body know of any good ways to clean a cd. I dont like to use those skip doctors, they ruined one of my cd's. I know of using toothpaste and then washing it off in the sink. I think its works by filling in the cracks or something like that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, the toothpaste is just mildly abrasive and takes off the very outer surface of the CD. If the scratches are any deeper than just barely scratching the surface, then it won't work.

Frankly, I've never had a CD that was scratched lightly enough where toothpaste or some other solution fixed it, that wouldn't still play. Never found a good solution - deep scratches are deep scratches and they obliterate the data that's burned into the CD.

You can buy kits that are mild abrasives like toothpaste and they have some cloths and alcohol to wash everything off afterwards. They work occasionally, but if they don't, your CD is probably toast. Sorry. You could throw it in your PC and see how much music you can rip off of it, so the CD isn't a total loss.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yr best bet would be to try to use ExactAudioCopier to rip the damaged disc...depending on how bad the disc is, it could be a slow, arduous process. but it usually works.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
doh!

yeah, this program, in conjunction w/ LAME (the compressor), is the standard way i rip and compress music discs. works really well once you get the hang of it.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
You could probably just download a copy of the CD via your preferred P2P network and burn a new one that way.