Quantcast

Scrawny calves!!!

zibbler

Monkey
Okay. I could walk around all day on my tip toes and still have the scrawniest calves on the planet. What gives? It must be genetic. Since I started riding, my quads have gotten nice and tight and strong, but my calves are still scrawny. They're tight and firm, but just plain scrawny.

Even when I used to work out all the time I could still never build any calves no matter how many toe raises I did. Even when I have put on extra weight, my calves stay scrawney. I have a serious disorder known as chicken legs. :angry: :angry:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Go to gym and use those crasy calve machines i still can't walk properly from yesterdays weights. Put it at say 135 and do as many as you can than quikly take 10 pounds off and do it again keep doing that until you get down to 75 pounds you won't be able to walk for awhile but your calves should get bigger.;)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Unfortunately calves are genetic. If you have skinny calves, even if you worked them to hell and back you would have only larger skinny calves (sorry to be blunt but even the great Arnold had a terrible time making his legs grow and even at their biggest were still skinny in comparison to fellow competitors)

There are some things to help though

1 - running up stairs
2 - basketball (power jumping using calves only)
3 - plyometrics
4 - EXTREMELY heavy calf raises. Think of it like this. You walk, run and bike all the time. Your calves are the most hit muscle on your body. Do the total opposite. Hit them hard and heavy and 'pump them up' )

Best of luck :)

JMAC also has a good idea with stipped sets. They are very intense and work the calves in a unique way. So again they stress the calves in a way unlike the norm.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by JMAC
Go to gym and use those crasy calve machines i still can't walk properly from yesterdays weights. Put it at say 135 and do as many as you can than quikly take 10 pounds off and do it again keep doing that until you get down to 75 pounds you won't be able to walk for awhile but your calves should get bigger.;)
I did that back when I was really into body building. I had a nice buff body.... except my calves. :angry: I used to do drop sets till I was ready to puke, but all it did was give me sore calves. They never grew as much as even 1/4 of an inch.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I got a tip that beats them all.....

wear high heals 40-60 hours a week for at least 3 years. You'll never have small calves again!!
Man, you're not kidding. Most women I know that wear high heals all the time have HUGE calves. I could never wear high heals because my ankles twist so easily. I've sprained my ankles more times than I can count. Plus, it's really bad for your feet. My mom used to wear high heals all the time, and now she has a lot of foot problems. She's had surgery on both her feet, and still has a lot of problems.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
scrawny calves aren't that bad. not like large calves are gonna do you any good in cycling terms. all your power is generated in your quads and your calves just help the blood flow back up through your system. wouldn't stress this out so much there buddy. i got chicken legs too :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I got a tip that beats them all.....

wear high heals 40-60 hours a week for at least 3 years. You'll never have small calves again!!
I always forget the high heel trick...of course I could never find any to fit size 15 :)