Quantcast

Screaming deal on a backpacking hammock

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Firelite Hammock was awful. I returned it. To little bug protection. The rain ran off the tree onto the straps into the hammock. I had to abandon ship. Kids loved it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I couldn't reach the seller by email. So I canceled the order and I did get a refund. A hammock showed up today. It's not a layflat as advertised but a standard hammock. I barely fit into it. At least I'm not out any money and I'll darned if I can read the Chinese character mailing address to send it back

this is what arrived

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I couldn't reach the seller by email. So I canceled the order and I did get a refund. A hammock showed up today. It's not a layflat as advertised but a standard hammock. I barely fit into it. At least I'm not out any money and I'll darned if I can read the Chinese character mailing address to send it back

this is what arrived

How is it for the angry solo sex sessions?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Who knew that there would be a learning curve for hammocks? I am still working on finding the proper sag for comfort. The insulated air pad I have for tenting may not work well in the hammock. I did figure out how to get in and out of my sleeping bag but now I understand the down under and over quilts, they are much easier to deal with but they cost $$. and finally this hammock may just be too small for me width wise.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Who knew that there would be a learning curve for hammocks? I am still working on finding the proper sag for comfort. The insulated air pad I have for tenting may not work well in the hammock. I did figure out how to get in and out of my sleeping bag but now I understand the down under and over quilts, they are much easier to deal with but they cost $$. and finally this hammock may just be too small for me width wise.
It is said that 30 degrees is the best angle for the suspension straps. If you flip the bird to the straps, your thumb and middle finger should touch the strap while your hand is parallel.
Insulated airpads work better if you partially deflate them so that can conform to the side better. But a sleeping bag with a pad holder works as well. Alternately, you can get pads made for hammock which have flaps on the side to help prevent slipping. You can also get a double layer hammock such as the warbonnet blackbird which is two bottom layers you can slip a pad into and not worry about it.
Over and under quilts are nice, but they are twice as bulky and like you said $$. You could likely make your own with cheap square bags from Wal-Mart.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
It is said that 30 degrees is the best angle for the suspension straps. If you flip the bird to the straps, your thumb and middle finger should touch the strap while your hand is parallel.
Insulated airpads work better if you partially deflate them so that can conform to the side better. But a sleeping bag with a pad holder works as well. Alternately, you can get pads made for hammock which have flaps on the side to help prevent slipping. You can also get a double layer hammock such as the warbonnet blackbird which is two bottom layers you can slip a pad into and not worry about it.
Over and under quilts are nice, but they are twice as bulky and like you said $$. You could likely make your own with cheap square bags from Wal-Mart.
Yeah I did all that. My pad had a head bump. I am going to flip that to the foot end. If that doesn't work I have an older thin thermarest pad to try. It just might be that back sleeping will not work for me. Normally I sleep on my stomach.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I set it up again at lunch. flipped the pad so that the head bump was by my feet. That seems to have done it, my neck and back are now in a comfortable position and I was dozing off until my boss called. I will try camping out in it Friday night which is forecast to be in the low 50s