Quantcast

screaming pads!

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
okay, i baught some pads at cost since i work a bike shop (although they are not hayes brand...), i put em in the front and they work fine, but they squeel like crazy in the rear, what could this be? my rear brakes also kinda suck now. i know i didnt get fluid on em. oh yeh, i have hydro hayes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Squirt some WD-40 on the rotor :blah: :blah: :blah: .

Just kidding. But I would clean the rotor with windex or clean streak or rotor cleaner.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
The Screaming Pads....That'll be the name of my new band

The pads will probably break in after a few runs. You could also try loosening the caliper screws, squeeze brake lever, retighten screws...thus realigning the pads.

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
nope, nothing works. they still scream and take forever to lock up. i guess il end up getting new pads :mad:

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol, and sand the pad surface a little bit to clean off the origional surface. Also, inspect your rotor, are you running the old 04' rotors with the venting holes only in the center? If you are, upgrade to the newer rotors with the different drill pattern, they wear better and make less noise.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...and if that dosen't work check to see if you are running Hayes Sintered-Metallic brake pads - the ones with the copper backplate. I switched to organic pads and that did the trick.