Quantcast

Screen Printing

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ulano 925WR.

:cupidarrow: :cupidarrow: :cupidarrow: :cupidarrow: :cupidarrow:

I love it when stencils come out just right.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Fvcking nice print... now talk tech with me boy!

what mesh count screen?

which ink?

are you still using that halftone program to spit out dots on your postscript printer? and which one was it (I can't remember where you said you got it... but I went looking for it way back when...)

The original design, was it done in PS, or some in PS some hand drawn then scanned? what method did you use for the original artwork?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Fvcking nice print... now talk tech with me boy!

what mesh count screen?

which ink?

are you still using that halftone program to spit out dots on your postscript printer? and which one was it (I can't remember where you said you got it... but I went looking for it way back when...)

The original design, was it done in PS, or some in PS some hand drawn then scanned? what method did you use for the original artwork?
255 mesh on black, 195 on white/grey.

Speedball acrylic, thinned a bit.

Design was done in PS then sent to me. I did the seps in GIMP. I used the GIMP filter "newsprint" after saving each layer to a .tif.

This filter is actually a very nice halftone emulator, you can choose line count, cell size, screen angle and dot type (square, diamond, etc).
So the raster image is pre-halftoned instead of the Postscript doing it on the output.

WAY better than the Wilflex PS filter I was using.

I was going to go with buying a Postscript RIP for my inkjet but the cost is ridiculous, like $700-$900. I can do almost everything in GIMP on Linux at home then print it out of my old Win XP machine that the printer is attached to. (this will be a Linux box soon)

Eventually GIMP is going to get full CMYK/spot printing support, for now the filter works great for my purposes. I don't plan to do any 4 color process work, just line art and spot colors for now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
And stink, before you go off, yes it's 55 lpi.

Pushing water-based ink through any finer line count is asking for a headache.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
255 mesh on black, 195 on white/grey.

Speedball acrylic, thinned a bit.

Design was done in PS then sent to me. I did the seps in GIMP. I used the GIMP filter "newsprint" after saving each layer to a .tif.

This filter is actually a very nice halftone emulator, you can choose line count, cell size, screen angle and dot type (square, diamond, etc).
So the raster image is pre-halftoned instead of the Postscript doing it on the output.

WAY better than the Wilflex PS filter I was using.

I was going to go with buying a Postscript RIP for my inkjet but the cost is ridiculous, like $700-$900. I can do almost everything in GIMP on Linux at home then print it out of my old Win XP machine that the printer is attached to. (this will be a Linux box soon)

Eventually GIMP is going to get full CMYK/spot printing support, for now the filter works great for my purposes. I don't plan to do any 4 color process work, just line art and spot colors for now.
I have used house paint for some of the flatstock I have done... and it works and is cheap! Be careful though because the stuff will dry in the screen pretty quick then you have to clean the screens befor resuming... ( for example... if you order a pizza... keep printing and have someone else answer the door... :lighten: )

I just checked out GIMP's site... I will have to investigate further. :thumb:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I knew you'd be along to pipe in some snobby comment. Where ya been?

:D

Ha!

Working my ass off, and there's at least 3 people in my office every five minutes.

Got a call a few minutes ago regarding a new gig 4 miles from my place. Hell yeah!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I just checked out GIMP's site... I will have to investigate further. :thumb:
SHHHH.

Stinky will hear you.

GIMP is weird, but it has a few nice things that PS doesn't have, like some kick ass stock filters, etc.

The price is right too.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
GIMP? I shall look this up? My most recent projects have been a combination of silkscreen and cut-n-sew.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Let's settle this for the last fvcking time.

If you are a graphics and/or design pro, and you're business depends on your software, use Photoshop and STFU. It's expensive.

If you are a home based user and you don't need every industry standard feature that PS offers, (CMYK support, etc) use GIMP. It's free.

GIMP IS NOT A FULL REPLACEMENT FOR PHOTOSHOP.

Just as my Ford Ranger is not a replacement for a F350 Super Duty.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Gimp is great. However, I agree, it isn't a direct replacement for photoshop.

Gimp is like a set of tools that you take with you to a race. It doesn't have everything, but it will get most important things done. Photoshop is more like having an entire workshop. You have everything.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 for b/w half-tones. Came free with my compy when I got it ~3 years ago. No biggee.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I think you would be surprised at how useful some of these apps really are (if you could get over yourself for a moment)

When was the last time you opened GIMP and took it for a test drive?

I don't claim that a cheap Taiwanese made drumset could replace my custom built kit, but I could make a nice racket on it.

It's a point A to B thing. It get's the job done.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Some of what I've been working on:

This is an ELVS Velocity Deep-V rim. In case yer not aware, the Deep-V is a deep profile 700c wheel favored in the fixed gear scene for its durability and amazing range of colors.

On

Off

edit: this is a film based solution (not solution in chemical sense, but as in 'answer') for the retro-reflective rim.