Quantcast

Screw Extraction?? 40 Lowers

Jun 28, 2009
So I've had pretty bad luck, and had 2 of the pinch bolts on the lowers of my 40 break off in the fork. Both of the bolts sheered in the middle so that the head fell out but the screw is still in the fork. Has anybody encountered an issue like this before? If so, how did you handle it?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Seen it happen a lot on moto forks. An EZ-Out makes short work of it.

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
So I've had pretty bad luck, and had 2 of the pinch bolts on the lowers of my 40 break off in the fork. Both of the bolts sheered in the middle so that the head fell out but the screw is still in the fork. Has anybody encountered an issue like this before? If so, how did you handle it?
I broke one off as well. I hit it with a reverse drill bit thinking I was going to have to use a tiny easy out on it. It actually backed right out when the reverse drill bit hit it. I was surprised how easy it came out. I would try that first. Those bolts are Titanium and very weak. I barely snug them down now. I found some steel bolts at the hardware store that were very similar. They had a 4mm allen head instead, and the heat was shaped slightly different. They worked fine however.

Last edited:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Had this happen on my old 40 as well. As someone suggested the EZ Out finally worked for me. It was a huge ordeal getting that freaking thing out though.