Quantcast

Screw the iPod, I needs me one of these!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The new Sony Playstation Portable (PSP)! :drool:

Video (Right Click Save As)

PSP Hands-On

We try out the near-final retail version. Videos and pics included.

September 21, 2004 - While the new PlayStation 2 redesign caused the biggest stir at Sony's PS Business Meeting 2004 today in Tokyo, there was another big surprise waiting for those who stayed a bit following the event: playable PSP units running five different games! And by playable, we mean the real deal, as in you hold it in your hands, it runs games from a UMD, it gets warm while you play it, and if you try and steal it, Ken Kutaragi himself will tackle you.

Sony Computer Entertainment gave members of the press a preview of the Tokyo Game Show PSP experience, readying five playable PSP units and one copy each of Minna no Golf Portable, Dynasty Warriors (Shin Sangokumusou), Shin Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Acid and Dokodemo Issho. We'll have impressions and videos of the games in just a bit, but we first thought you'd like to hear how the PSP itself holds up.

We got to try out one of the shiny, black units, which is expected to be the final retail color (officially, SCE still won't comment on launch specifics, including the final color). This glossy version of the system doesn't take particularly well to flash photography, but you can be sure it will garner some looks when you play it in public (along with some fast hands if you're not careful). Sony had the system tied to kiosks via a thin key-chain-like chain. Another thin wire connected the system to headphones.

LINK

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ooh, cool! portable video units look super dumb, but portable gaming has always been a winner. i had an atari lynx back when, and this is basically how it should be, all screen and thin vs. bulky yet with a tiny screen...

the lynx was one of the first color handheld units, to its credit

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I remember those, I thought it was way cooler than the gameboy because it was in color. They had one at Target that I used to play all the time.