Quantcast

scuba monkeys

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my younger brother is a certified diver i think...

but the only time he has dived is on vacation in mexico and rented...

just like when i visited him the first two years during covid he hid the fact his arms/chest were covered in ink....

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I used to to a ton of SAR and wreck diving and now my diving consists of dredging and prospecting so I tend to have the higher end of offerings and I typically will keep my main gear for only 2-3 years before upgrading or rotating out.

Right now my BC is a Apeks Exotec, OTS Spectrum mask, Garmin Descent G1 and Apeks DSX computers, Scubapro S-Tek Fins, no real fav for suits but like waterproof brand lately, as far as the rest of the bits like regulators/second stages are always being swapped, repaired or rebuilt on a regular basis.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How often and where are you diving that you want your own scuba gear? I've been certified for years and but don't go often enough to justify the cost, space, imminent obsolescence, etc. I own a mask, snorkel and fins but rent everything else.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How often and where are you diving that you want your own scuba gear? I've been certified for years and but don't go often enough to justify the cost, space, imminent obsolescence, etc. I own a mask, snorkel and fins but rent everything else.
i've been certified since i was old enough to be certified. my dad grew up diving in Ft Lauderdale, and was an instructor up until the YMCA ceased doing it in 2008. so i did a pretty fair amount of diving when I was younger, but back then more or less always had access to my dad's spare gear. then i moved out for college, and life got in the way. jobs, moving, getting married, kids, etc. got back into it last summer, planning a few trips. my kids have gotten hooked on snorkeling, and have expressed interest in diving once they are old enough. plus one of dad's brothers still lives in Ft Lauderdale (was also a dive instructor for many years) and has his own dive boat. apparently upgraded to a bigger one since I last dove with him in '06. we met up in the keys last summer (he happened to take his boat down for opening weekend of lobster season). weather didn't cooperate to get the kids out, but we have been in touch and will be getting down there again hopefully later this year, if not next year. another big driver is my dad is pushing 80, so probably not many more years for him to take international trips. we are going to Bonaire in June, and he wants to do one more trip to the south pacific. we are planning that one for sometime in the next 12-18 months, and it will be a longer trip. he wants to hit the Maldives, French Polynesia, great barrier reef again, a couple other spots.

also, diver gear doesn't go obsolete at anywhere near the same rate as bike gear. computers maybe, but features that used to only be present on high end comps have worked their way down to lower priced models. sure there's new stuff coming out all the time, but its not like there's 37 different competing BB and axle "standards". biggest concern traveling internationally is making sure you have a din to yoke adapter for the tanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I used to to a ton of SAR and wreck diving and now my diving consists of dredging and prospecting so I tend to have the higher end of offerings and I typically will keep my main gear for only 2-3 years before upgrading or rotating out.

Right now my BC is a Apeks Exotec, OTS Spectrum mask, Garmin Descent G1 and Apeks DSX computers, Scubapro S-Tek Fins, no real fav for suits but like waterproof brand lately, as far as the rest of the bits like regulators/second stages are always being swapped, repaired or rebuilt on a regular basis.
how do you like your garmin dive watch? the descent mk3 dropped back in the fall, that's on my short list because it's got pretty much all the features one could want (including air integration), i'm already familiar with their UI and ecosystem, and i get a decent discount on garmin products through work.

henderson wetsuits are popular around here, given that they're based out of NJ. the wetsuit i have that I used from high school into college is in good shape, I've just outgrown it.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
how do you like your garmin dive watch? the descent mk3 dropped back in the fall, that's on my short list because it's got pretty much all the features one could want (including air integration), i'm already familiar with their UI and ecosystem, and i get a decent discount on garmin products through work.
its my daily driver. I dont use it for mixed gas since I have the apex and other dongles but I know lots of peeps that use the garmin for mixed. It does just about everything you need but still is a basic watch you can use on vacay and keep charged. I tend to wear it more as a watch that way and become more familiar with it in daily use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its my daily driver. I dont use it for mixed gas since I have the apex and other dongles but I know lots of peeps that use the garmin for mixed. It does just about everything you need but still is a basic watch you can use on vacay and keep charged. I tend to wear it more as a watch that way and become more familiar with it in daily use.
i've already got a fenix 7S, and the descent mk series seemed to be built off the same UI as this, but the descent g series looks like it has a different one. if i go that route (descent mk3) i could potentially unload my fenix, but not sure if i want/need a full on dive watch as my daily driver (or for mountain biking).

i'll be getting my nitrox cert before the bonaire trip, so handling mixed gas is a must.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
i've already got a fenix 7S, and the descent mk series seemed to be built off the same UI as this, but the descent g series looks like it has a different one. if i go that route (descent mk3) i could potentially unload my fenix, but not sure if i want/need a full on dive watch as my daily driver (or for mountain biking).

i'll be getting my nitrox cert before the bonaire trip, so handling mixed gas is a must.
I got one buddy who uses his for everything, bikes, kayaking, diving, mixed gas and he is happy with it. I am just a gadget nerd and I like making my own profiles for the conditions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got one buddy who uses his for everything, bikes, kayaking, diving, mixed gas and he is happy with it. I am just a gadget nerd and I like making my own profiles for the conditions.
good to know. in researching what's available now, it seems like all the gear is generally good, just a matter of selecting what suits a your needs.

on your BC - I take it you have back inflate for tec diving. you ever use a jacket style? Jacket is all i've ever used, that's what my dad and uncle have always used (at least once they replaced the horse collar style), and they're the kind of guys that keep using that because it's all they've ever used. I find myself leaning towards the back inflate style for better horizontal trim and just being less restrictive overall - and there are some hybrid style ones that have a cummerbund and integrated weights like a jacket. thoughts?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
good to know. in researching what's available now, it seems like all the gear is generally good, just a matter of selecting what suits a your needs.

on your BC - I take it you have back inflate for tec diving. you ever use a jacket style? Jacket is all i've ever used, that's what my dad and uncle have always used (at least once they replaced the horse collar style), and they're the kind of guys that keep using that because it's all they've ever used. I find myself leaning towards the back inflate style for better horizontal trim and just being less restrictive overall - and there are some hybrid style ones that have a cummerbund and integrated weights like a jacket. thoughts?
Honestly its all about orientation and comfort. Back inflates will keep you in the orientation you prefer and wont bind your movements up or constrict you like jackets and other styles, not to mention the newer back inflate BCD use soft weight pockets with rapid dumps and much more customization of placement, amounts and styles so you no longer have hard weights, belts or dangly bits

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
:goes scuba diving:

:can't swim face down:

WTF.jpg
You have never had to rescue another diver have you? I worked as a dive master on the dive boats out of Santa Barbara going out to the Channel Islands for 6 years. It's much easier to maintain and airway on a diver floating face up. Trust me on that I've been there too many times. You must dive in warm water. In California most of the year your face goes numb from the cold water. It's nice to have it up in the warm air. Many of the kelp forest reefs are a 20-30 minute swim each way out and back. It's nice to kick back and yak with your dive buddy especially on those late afternoon dives when you are kicking back in, talking and watching the sun set into the ocean.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, i have no current plans on being DM or SAR certed, so those aren't considerations of mine. yes my diving is predominantly in warm water, and from a boat. 30 min swim from shore is nuts.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
this is La Chuza Point at Trancas, Malibu Ca. It was my favorite dive spot. Rocky reefs out to 100" deep. Loaded with Halibut. Calico Bass, California Sheepshead, Opaleye perch. sometimes Pacific Barracuda. Great spearfishing. Big hike from the public accessway then a 20-30 minute kick to reach the deep kelp beds and best spearfishing
La Chuza Point.jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
another cool but hard spot to dive. Christmastree Cove Palos Verdes. Park up on top, wear your tank and weight belt, wetsuit, mask fins regulator bc food and water in a duffel and put that on top of your tank. Hike down the cliff then rock scramble out to the point. Entry was a muscle covered rocky surge channel but the vis was 100+ and we speared Calico Bass, Albacore, Barracuda. worst part was climbing back up the cliff with wet (heavy) wetsuits in the duffel plus fish
Christmastree cove Palos Verdes.jpg