Quantcast

Scumbag = 1, Car Window = 0. Riddle me this though...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I get woken up at midnight to someone knocking loudly on the front door. I think, "prolly a friend that wants to drink my beers..." and try to ignore it. The knocking continues and gets louder. I go to the door and there is a small, asian man holding his car keys, he's about ten feet from my door.

"is that your car on the street?", he asks.
"yea.....?", I say
"Did you leave the car door open? I drove by half-hour ago and the door was open, and it's still open...."
"Okay, thanks"

Little asian man drove off once he saw that I was going outside to close the car door....

I go outside and the car window is GONE. well, it's inside the car, in tiny pieces.. EVERYTHING that was in the glove box is gone. Who leaves important stuff in their glove box? and why did some guy wake me up to let me know the car door was open? at MIDNIGHT?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
EVERYTHING that was in the glove box is gone. Who leaves important stuff in their glove box?
The only time I had my car broken into, was the only day I can think of where I cashed my entire paycheck and had hundreds of dollars sitting in an envelope in my glove box.

The thieves took my book full of CDs and nothing else. Not the cash in the glove box, not the $100 camping axe in the back seat, not the expensive stereo, nothing. :confused:

I guess I'd rather have someone wake me up for having my car broken into, than ignore it and let it get stripped though.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
and why did some guy wake me up to let me know the car door was open? at MIDNIGHT?
Because maybe he was a decent human being? At the very least it keeps you from having your car broken into AND a dead battery in the morning.

Couple years ago when I was still working nights, I said eff-it, left work early and came home around 0230 on my friday. As I was pulling up to the house I noticed the drivers side door was open and the dome light was on in the car of my across the street neighbor. So I did the same thing and rang the door bell to let them know. At the time I thought maybe they were being fvcked with because, well, they are lesbians and Colorado Springs isn't exactly a town known for its tolerance of "alternative lifestyles". I know these gals pretty well and its still kind of nerve racking to knock on someones door at that hour, even if your doing them a favor.

Turned out the whole neighborhood had been hit, if your car was out that night it got keyed, stolen from, or otherwise vandalized. The kids they later caught must have been in the neighbors car when I rounded the corner, because stuff in the car had been tossed around, but nothing was missing or vandalized. People just a couple doors down were not so lucky.

/coolstorybro

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My buddy had his car broken into a few years ago. Someone threw a big rock through his driver side window and stole the 6pack of beer he had sitting behind the seat. They left his GPS unit that was sitting on the dashboard.

Stupid criminals :disgust1:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
why did some guy wake me up to let me know the car door was open? at MIDNIGHT?
Because midnight for an asian is like 6pm for normal people. He was probably on his way to a bath house, a cock fight or asian only bingo. Was he wearing a see through visor?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Last time the neighborhood was hit, before I moved out and back to my home town, eleven cars were hit, mine was left alone. I lived right in the middle of where all the cars were hit, I immediately knew it was someone in the area.... I attribute this to the gun cleaning parties I have had with a few of my marine buddies were we set up lights, tables, and were rather loud all night long.... You know that whole fear and respect thing getting the same result???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had my car broken into at work. Driver's side window smashed. I had my wallet, iPod, and phone in the middle console, and my gym bag with brand new shoes in the back seat. The thief only took the on-dash Sirius radio, which they can't use anyway. Dumbasses.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
Same thing here. Right front window smashed at a trail head. Had the bikes and stopped at this trail on a whim. Tons of gear in the car from camping. Nice jackets, tools, cell phones in the car. Check book. Stuff we shouldn't have left in there. Nothing was missing. Nothing. Only guess is they were looking for the laptop that luckily wasnt in the computer bag. It was full of clothes. Crazy meth heads....If I saw my neighbors car door open I would tell them too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So weird. My girlfriend's truck was "broken into" last night. I use quotes because we accidentally left the doors unlocked after a big trip to Costco/grocery store. Center console rifled through, glovebox open and gone through, but nothing really gone that we can tell. Called the po-po, the officer that responded said about 3 other cars in the area were hit in the exact same way. He said it's usually a homeless person (or persons) that basically go around the neighborhood and flip door handles, and steal change if they find one open.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Knock on wood, I've been pretty lucky. My car is has been parked on the street, in the hood, for many, many years without incident. I follow one strict rule, never leave anything of value visible. Not even a nickel, because crack heads will bust out your window for loose change.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So weird. My girlfriend's truck was "broken into" last night. I use quotes because we accidentally left the doors unlocked after a big trip to Costco/grocery store. Center console rifled through, glovebox open and gone through, but nothing really gone that we can tell. Called the po-po, the officer that responded said about 3 other cars in the area were hit in the exact same way. He said it's usually a homeless person (or persons) that basically go around the neighborhood and flip door handles, and steal change if they find one open.
And you told me i was safe to leave my bike in the back of my car in such a "high risk" crime area... Dick.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We had the same thing happen a while ago. Not sure if we left the car door unlocked or they just slim-jim'd it. But, it was odd when we noticed the nav and an ipod charger missing and then my wife noticed some other stuff like a cheap necklace that wasn't there any more. There was not really any evidence that anyone was in the car. It was somewhat creepy, because, honestly, if we didn't have the GPS in the car, we probably would have never known anyone was in there. The stuff they took could have been easily chalked up to random stuff being misplaced.

On a side note, my next door neighbor is a contractor and had some tools in the back of his truck. He came home late one night and happened to catch this older teen trying to get his saw out of the back. Jumped out of the car, ran up behind the kid and tackled him, except he was leaning up against the tailgate. Ended up breaking the kids hip from the leverage against the tail gate and put the kid in the hospital. Kid lives in the neighborhood and apparently got hit ish together after that little wake up call.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Overnighted at my Mums a few years back while still in Chicago. Some dick head on his way through the neighborhood keyed "B!TCH" into every car on the block, including my truck. A local cop says to me as he finishes the report "At least it wasnt your $40K Navigator" I said "Thanks for the compassion asswipe..."

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I leave my doors unlocked every night, in hopes that someone will steal that piece of **** and burn it to the ground.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I leave my doors unlocked, hoping that if someone is going to steal the book of burned CDs and bag of dogfood that is the complete contents of the car, they'll do it without breaking a window. Once they did it that way, and did take the burned CDs. The other time they broke a window anyway, those ****ers were caught and had to pay restitution - $5 a month for four years and then a $150 lump sum at the end.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
That made me chuckle a little haha
I laughed every month when it showed up. They broke into a series of cars, and restitution was divided between all of us.

The lady who handled restitution said that she tried to get as much as possible from them every month, but said they weren't the kind of guys who could easily go out and find a high paying job. I think there one or two months where I got a check for about fifty cents. It averaged out to about five though.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What's a homeless guy gonna do with a Bicycle Built for a Wookie?
Build a rolling tree house? Do you know how many bags you could hang off that thing?

On a side note, I want to pick your brain on setup. It feels like I'm riding way back, and I'm out of ways to adjust it fwd.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
A month and a bit ago I had my truck broken into. I was staying in Kelowna for a night on my way to Victoria(BC) and had everything in there, bikes, tv, clothes, guitar, etc... Bikes were chained up in my box under a locked canopy with privacy glass but they smashed the gate glass, cut the chain and took the bikes, left everything else. I had also forgot my wallet in the cab so they took out my front passenger window, grabbed my wallet and hat but left my GPS, ipod and everything else in my back seat. It wasn't a very fun morning.

Lesson learned, even if you think it is "safe", it's not. Goodbye Mob and Remedy.