Quantcast

SE Bikes

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Anyone know of this company? I heard of them with their BMX stuff, never heard of Urban/Dirt jump Bikes...

http://sebikes.com/2008/bike-detail.asp?id=42

Saw this bike @ my LBS:

What do you guys think, is 33 heavy for a Beginner dirt jumper and i can get it WAYYYYY below the MSRP!
that looks pretty legit and clean. 33lbs isn't light, but its comparable to the specialized p. bikes (the chromo ones at least), so yeah its good for a beginner dj bike. bmx bikes used to be that much on average and people were hucking them then, so it will certainly work.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
They're new to the big wheel market, but they've been making high end bmx and cruiser frames for a long time. I'd be willing to bet it's a solid product.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They are one of the original high-end companies from way - WAY - back in the day, but have since changed hands and are more of a mass-production company. I used to covet bikes like the PK Ripper, Quadangle, and Floval Flyer, but you can now get a complete bike for like $250, so it's hard to believe the quality is very high. As I recall the movie "Joe Kidd and a Stingray" has quite a lot of stuff about SE. The early teams are a pretty legendary bunch and the founder - Scott B - is also infamous.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Thanks for all the info guys....

i heard about their BMX stuff, never any other stuff, i'll buy it for 500 bucks complete... and will write a full review of the frame, simple, videos and photos...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I know it's not the same bike, but I bought SE's Lager and Spero got the Draft. I think he's happy and I know I am.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
I'm using a pair of se racing stretch grips right now and they feel awesome.

They are makers of the ol' pk ripper. A classic in bmx racing.
Good company.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I like it. My current bike has steeper geo, shorter stays, and 1/2 inch shorter TT. That's why I switched frames.

I like it a lot. I think it is one of the better values on the market that most people don't realize is out there.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Don't forget "Landing Gear" forks. Some of the best original designs of the 80s.
Tru dat. I think I still have some cruiser landing gear forks at my parents house. They're bad ass, but probably weigh more than everything else on the bike put together.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Hey guys check this out:

i can pick this one up for 400.00

# New Thread frame withPorter / Zink geometry and e.thirteen designed dropouts
# Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 80mm travel fork
# Truvativ Ruktion 1.0 crankset with PC Bash Ring
# Singlespeed 16T cassette
# Hayes MX4 mechanical disc brakes
# Weight: 32.5 lbs
# MSRP $710.00

any suggestions?

Haro or SE.... Both have somewhat same spec, but Haro has a 1 inch shorter ChainStay! I gave the bike shop a deposit and told them to hold off on ordering me the SE, because i may want to order this Haro, Haro looks decent, but don't know anything about it. I save 100 bucks.... and all i want is to hit up a few dirt jumps, have fun and maybe go to wood ward with it... nothing major, suggestions?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i'm really confused now....

SE is a great looking bike:

The Haro looks great too and i can pick it up for 100 bucks cheaper:

There is Also the Ruckus UF which i can get for the same price as the HARO:

And now i just saw The Mongoose Ritual Street which i can also get for the same price as the HARO and GT:

The kind of riding i will be doing with the bike is MINOR DJ'ing, nothing crazy, just some DJ'ing here in NYC, and the pump track! Any pro's Cons etc... the diffrence between the the only Aluminum frame there is the HARO, all others are steel! I'm trying to save some bucks.....

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
I would definitely go for a steel frame. The few people I have know to buy aluminum frames, didn't like the feel at all, and ended up replacing them with steel ones.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
I would go with whichever back has the steeper Head Angle.

The mongoose, visually, looks like it has a steeper HA than the rest. In looking at most of the bikes, one thing I did notice was the mongoose has an RST space fork on it.

I'd probably take the SE or the Mongoose.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I am not sure about the eight of the frame, but the 08 build of the SE is 33lb, the 07 build was 32lbs. Maybe the Fork was the difference.

i'll try to find out for ya.

chipper

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
sac town
the se feels really good stock rode the one from the shop at our local pump track and 4x track the only thing i did not care for is the narrow bat=rs other then that it is really good. i actually might be on this frame next year

stuntmanmike

Chimp
May 20, 2008
They made the original "P.K. Ripper" & Quadangle back in the day,some of the first reynolds aluminum bmx frames made here in the U.S. I had one of each they were bomb proof.
Today I think they're owned by the Fuji corporation & made in China but I hear the quality is getting better.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
And legendary. He basically invented BMX. SE was one of the first bmx companies and definitely one of the raddest companies for a long time. But, it's a completely different organization these days. That bike looks to be pretty decent for the money, though.

Scott's wiki page is pretty interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_Breithaupt

So would you say Scott Breithaupt was the "Jay Adams of BMX" ? Kinda seemed that way watching Joe Kind on a Stingray after watching Dogtown and Z-boys a few years earlier.